King K. Holmes, MD, PhD
Chair, Global Health
Professor, Allergy and Infectious Dis.
Professor, Global Health
Adjunct Professor, Epidemiology
Adjunct Professor, Microbiology
Ninth and Jefferson Building, 13th Floor
908 Jefferson Street
Seattle, WA 98104
Dr. Holmes is Director of the Center for AIDS and STD and University of Washington Head, Division of Infectious Diseases, Harborview Medical Center. His research interest are in the HIV programs which include molecular virology, immunology, clinical trials, vaccine development, vaccine evaluation, and international HIV prevention research; STD programs include separate projects involving genital HPV infection, genital herpes, HTLV infections, vaginal infections, pelvic inflammatory diseases, chlamydial and gonococcal infection, the immunobiology of syphilis, and STD prevention research in the US and in developing countries.
PhD, Microbiology, University of Hawaii 1967
MD, Cornell University 1963
• Masur H, Brooks JT, Benson CA, Holmes KK, Pau AK, Kaplan JE. Prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents: Updated guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institutes of Health, and HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2014 Mar 17.
• Drain PK, Robine M, Holmes KK, Bassett IV. Trail watch: Global migration of clinical trials. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2014 Feb 28;13(3):166-7. doi: 10.1038/nrd4260.
• Kurth AE, Spielberg F, Cleland CM, Lambdin B, Bangsberg DR, Frick PA, Severynen AO, Clausen M, Norman RG, Lockhart D, Simoni JM, Holmes KK. Computerized counseling reduces HIV-1 viral load and sexual transmission risk: Findings from a randomized controlled trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2013 Dec 31.
• Cárcamo CP, Campos PE, García PJ, Hughes JP, Garnett GP, Holmes KK, for the Peru PREVEN study team. Prevalences of sexually transmitted infections in young adults and female sex workers in Peru: a national cross-sectional survey. Lancet Infect Dis 2012 Oct;12:765-73.
• García PJ, Holmes KK, Cárcamo CP, Garnett GP, Hughes JP, Campos PE, Whittington WL; Peru PREVEN Study Team. Prevention of sexually transmitted infections in urban communities (Peru PREVEN): a multicomponent community-randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012 Mar;379:1120-8.