- Most UW fellowships go to postdocs or advanced PhD students, but it is worthwhile for all prospective students to check out
fellowships that are available. Many fellowships have deadlines before the degree application deadline, but not all.
- FELLOWSHIPS FOR U.S. POSTDOCTORAL STUDENTS
- Many of our students who are US-licensed clinicians and other postdocs receive fellowships from the UW Medical Center or related
teaching hospitals or UW departments.
- Deadlines for these fellowship are usually much earlier than our application deadline.
- Eligible applicants should contact appropriate faculty in the School of Medicine/UWMC or Dentistry, as appropriate.
- PRE- AND POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS ASSOCIATED WITH UW EPIDEMIOLOGY
- See Fellowships Open to Epidemiology
Students and Postdocs
- The School of Public Health currently has, or is associated with, pre- and/or post-doctoral fellowships in the following areas:
- Most Pre-doctoral trainees receive approximately $1800/month (less for MCH Training), a waiver of the non-resident portion of
tuition, partial resident tuition support (~55%) and health insurance.
- In addition, most trainees are able to find a 10 hr/wk RA to pay for most of the remainder of tuition.
- Postdoctoral Fellows receive a higher salary, faculty/staff health insurance (with monthly premium), and the Faculty/Staff Partial Tuition Exemption above.
- FELLOWSHIP SEARCH SERVICES AND LISTINGS
- Create a list of key words about your areas of interest, professional goals, work & educational background and personal attributes to use in searching databases.
- Fellowship & Assistantship Division of the UW Graduate School:
- Grants & Funding Information Service (GFIS)
- Some of the materials are only open to applicants who have accepted an admission offer, students, faculty and staff only.
See directions under Health Services Grants Databases below.
- Community of Science provides fellowship/grant search service under "Funding Opportunities".
- Fellowships for Minority Students
- See the Diversity Fellowships section of the Fellowships Open to Epidemiology Students and Postdocs above.
- Sometimes fellowship directors or grant PI's are willing to apply for minority supplements through the NIH, although this is more
common once students have completed their 1st year in the program.
- Minority students selected for the few UW Diversity Fellowships and RAs are notified by the Department or the UW Graduate School. It
is not possible to apply individually for UW diversity awards. See GFIS above for other opportunities.
- Fastweb is a computerized email notification service based on your profile.
It is particularly good for smaller scholarships.
Types of Funding Available
How to Select and Contact Faculty to Look for a Research Assistant (RA) Position
Benefits Information for RAs and TAs at the UW
Accepting a Funding Offer
Return to Prospective Student or New Student Webpage
January 31, 2013