Benefits for RAs and TAs at the UW
RA/TA/SAs who work 20 hours/week for a quarter and are paid through UW receive the benefits below for each applicable quarter:
- The non-resident portion of tuition is waived. The resident portion of the tuition is paid by the student’s faculty supervisor,
and the student pays approximately $500/quarter in student fees.
- Medical, dental & vision insurance are provided free.
- Monthly salary for 20 hrs/week in 2013-14 as follows:
- Master's Student: $1,678/month
- PhD Student: $1,803/month
- PhD Canidate: $1,937/month
- Students hired as RA's at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC) qualify for the same benefits with a "staff assignment" to be paid through UW.
- Small raises sometimes apply. PhD Candidates get a raise the quarter after passing the Oral General Exam.
- This salary is enough for one person to live in shared housing.
- Two RA/TA/SA appointments that total 20 hours/week for a quarter receive the benefits above.
- A < 20 hrs/wk RA from FHCRC or other non-UW institution and a < 20 hrs/wk RA/TA from UW do not provide benefits.
- RA/TA/SA's whose total appointments for a quarter are less than 20 hours/week and who do not hold a fellowship providing insurance and
at least partial tuition support do not receive benefits, but are paid a somewhat higher base salary prorated for the hours/week of the
Types of Funding Available
How to Select and Contact Faculty to Look for a Research Assistant (RA) Position
Tuition and Residency Information
Accepting a Funding Offer
Return to Prospective Student or New Student Webpage
This page was last updated on
January 6, 2014