If you are a current UW Epidemiology master’s student and would like to apply for the UW Epidemiology PhD degree program, please review the application deadlines and instructions detailed below.
Internal PhD Application from a current UW Epidemiology MS or MPH
To determine your deadline, consider which of the following applies to your situation. If your situation doesn’t exactly fall into either category below, please contact the Epi Student Academic Services office before applying (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Apply by December 1 during Year 2 as a master's student IF you passed the Doctoral Preliminary Exam at the end of Year 1 as a master’s student and would like to enter the PhD in the Fall Quarter subsequent to completing your master’s degree.
- Apply by August 1 after Year 2 as a master's student IF you passed the Doctoral Preliminary Exam at the end of Year 2 as a master’s student and would like to enter the PhD in the subsequent Fall Quarter.
Upload the following materials to the Epi Internal Applications Dropbox.
- Internal Application Form (you do not need to submit the UW online application)
- Statement of Purpose. A new statement of purpose including a discussion of your current master’s thesis research in about a paragraph (including topic or title, aims, progress, and preliminary findings if any). You should have thought carefully about and done some background research into potential areas of research for the PhD. Discuss potential topics in your statement. Also describe how a PhD will contribute to your career goals. The application will be strengthened to the extent that you have identified a faculty member willing to chair your dissertation. The Statement is limited to 2 single spaced pages. Use a 12-point font.
- Master’s thesis abstract, if you’ve already written one
- Two Recommendation Letters. These should be letters of support from faculty and/or research supervisors who know your work well. At least one letter must be from a faculty member familiar with your master's thesis. A third letter from an epidemiology faculty member who has agreed to chair your dissertation committee will strengthen your application. Please provide the Epi Internal Applications Dropbox URL to your recommenders (https://catalyst.uw.edu/collectit/dropbox/summary/epi/36716) and request that they upload their letters directly.