Job# 5922 - Research Investigator 2 (Tumwater, WA)
Posted: January 2, 2013
Closes: January 26, 2013
As a Research Investigator you'll work in the Healthcare Policy and Payment Methods (HPPM) unit within the Health Services Analysis (HSA) program. You'll help support our primary goal to provide accurate healthcare analytics for strategic and day to day decision making. You'll act as the lead cost and utilization analyst and produce regular and annual reports that include medical cost and utilization drivers.
You'll use your analytical tools to assist in the development of healthcare policy and payment method changes; identifying emerging best practices as well as improving patient outcomes; collaborate with the Office of the Medical Director (OMD) and other program staff within Insurance Services, to streamline evaluation efforts and meet strategic goals.
Some of what you'll do
- Coordinate and collaborate with a broad variety of work units and individuals to ensure that the data and variables utilized in analysis are valid, accurate and appropriate.
- Produce healthcare cost and utilization reports. Transfer the agency's health care analytical and reporting needs into queries, tables and spreadsheets, thereby producing reports, web pages and dashboards. Consult and receive input for future analytical and reporting improvements. Design and develop improved healthcare cost reporting tools.
- Serve as lead researcher on special projects and programs (eg. Surgical best practices, spinal procedures pilot). Lead in the study design, development of evaluation and monitoring plans for new projects and programs. Research health care delivery issues through scientific literature review and program evaluations. Collaborate with multi-disciplinary healthcare teams to evaluate pilots and best practices.
- Design, develop and improve L&I's health care data systems, data warehouse and data collection. Identify what Information Technology infrastructure is needed to obtain the variables and data for current and future health care analytics. Partner with Web Services and IT to automate reports for internet presentation.
Who should apply
Professionals with a masters degree in health care administration, business/public administration, public health, epidemiology/biostatistics, computer science, information technology or other similar degree.
1 year of experience working in a health care setting/environment with experience in health care information and/or billing data; experience with SQL and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and using statistical software (e.g. SAS, SPSS).
What we're looking for
- Produce complex health care cost and utilization reports that illustrate trends of overall and specific dimensions of health care.
- Develop data dictionaries, schemas and other meta-data to identify appropriate data and necessary data relationships.
- Run queries and extract data from a data warehouse using SQL and other tools as well as design, develop and execute complex scripts that gather needed data for health care analysis.
- Develop and execute statistical queries for the establishment of health care cost and utilization calculations for provider rate and fee development.
- Develop and implement medical program evaluations including impact analysis, cost effectiveness and utilization analysis.
- Use appropriate problem solving methods to improve processes, and to collect and evaluate relevant information to make decisions.
- Work with staff to provide them with information, techniques, instruction, feedback and encouragement to maximize their success on the job.
- Present ideas effectively, clearly and concisely in formal and informal situations.
For more info please see http://agency.governmentjobs.com/washington/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=573942&hit_count=yes&headerFooter=1&promo=0&transfer=0&WDDXJobSearchParams=%3CwddxPacket%20version%3D%271%2E0%27%3E%3Cheader%2F%3E%3Cdata%3E%3Cstruct%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27CATEGORYID%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%2D1%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2
Back to the Job Listings page