Job# 6026 - Epidemiologist 1 (Tumwater, WA)
Posted: February 7, 2013
Closes: February 18, 2013
The Washington State Department of Health is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Epidemiologist 1 in the Assessment Unit of the Office of Infectious Disease within the Division of Disease Control and Health Statistics. To learn more about the Office of Infectious Disease, visit http://www.doh.wa.gov/AboutUs/ProgramsandServices/DiseaseControlandHealthStatistics/InfectiousDisease.aspx.
PRIMARY DUTIES: The Epidemiologist 1 contributes to the mission of the organization by assuring that the fundamental activity of public health assessment is conducted in a timely and accurate way. This position contributes specifically to the mission of the Infectious Disease Assessment Unit by preparing and analyzing data, performing data quality assurance activities and producing documents for dissemination. The subjects for which these data are collected, analyzed and disseminated include various sexually transmitted diseases. Responsibilities include:
- Obtains and processes data from various data systems and secure web sites.
- Uses SAS and other software to perform quality assurance checks on various datasets, summarizes findings and produces clean data for epidemiologic analysis.
- Uses LinkPlus to conduct dataset deduplication and determine linkages between datasets.
- Uses SAS, Excel and mapping software to update routine surveillance documents, such as fact sheets, surveillance reports and maps.
- Analyzes data and presents conclusions to program epidemiologists and presents summaries in various formats and for audiences of various levels of knowledge.
- SPECIAL NOTE: All duties, responsibilities, and functions of this position will need to be conducted while adhering to local, state, and federal policies and regulations related to security and confidentiality of disease surveillance information.
- A Master's degree or higher in Public Health, Epidemiology, or a closely allied field, which MUST include 12 graduate quarter hours (500 level or above) or one (1) year equivalent in epidemiology AND 12 graduate quarter hours or one (1) year equivalent in biostatistics.
- Demonstrated experience in the following areas: o Manipulating, researching or analyzing notifiable condition data.
- Working with and using SAS statistical software
- Manipulating large datasets
- Presenting data in a variety of formats
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Willing and able to adhere to local, state, and federal policies and regulations related to security and confidentiality of disease surveillance information, while performing the functions, duties, and responsibilities of this position.
- Willing and able to work indoors, at a desk/workstation the majority of a work day, in an open office environment with possible conversation and other noise distractions, with or without an accommodation.
- Willing and able to work the core business hours of 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, with a scheduled lunch break. (NOTE: A flexible work schedule may be considered subject to supervisory approval.)
- Willing and able to occasionally work in excess of 40 hours per week and/or to adjust normally scheduled hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and holidays, to meet program needs and critical deadlines.
- Willing and able to work in a stressful environment with multiple priorities and competing deadlines.
- Willing and able to occasionally travel within and outside of Washington State for meetings and consultations.
Individuals interested in applying for this position should visit the complete job announcement at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/washington/default.cfm?action=viewjob&JobID=594497 for more information and instructions on how to apply.
For more info please see http://agency.governmentjobs.com/washington/default.cfm?action=viewjob&JobID=594497
Back to the Job Listings page