Job# 6037 - Research Epidemiologist (San Diego, CA)
Posted: February 13, 2013
Closes: March 11, 2013
Under supervision of the Department Head of Department 161, Medical Modeling and Simulation at the Naval Health Research Center, and in collaboration with other scientific researchers, this person will design, implement, interpret, and draft peer-reviewed manuscripts to study and answer questions concerning the health of US military service members. Results of this research will help guide clinical management and policy decisions. This person will possess ability to work with large electronic datasets using SAS, a strong scientific writing background, and the ability to lead projects. This person will possess either a Masters of Public Health or a Doctor of Philosophy in Epidemiology, and have a proven background in research methodologies and data analysis.
- Serve as lead investigator on studies that examine the health of US military service members.
- Utilize SAS and other statistical programs to perform data extraction and analysis, and to link and integrate datasets.
- Develop and design studies that are clinically relevant and/or actionable in a military setting.
- Conduct analysis of data to identify statistical relationships, interpret results for studies, and identify the clinical relevance of results.
- Display leadership at relevant scientific meetings and present results and findings of studies to appropriate audiences.
- Write and prepare scientific reports and manuscripts regarding research findings.
- Review reports, manuscripts, and other documents for accuracy in content, statistics and interpretation of data.
- Assist in research, preparation, and submission of grant proposals for DoD Funding.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Statistical theory and methodology used in epidemiologic, demographic, and other public health-related studies.
- Methods and techniques of compiling, analyzing, and evaluating statistical and other research data.
- Public health concepts and issues involved in epidemiology, military health, and other related areas.
- SAS programming and its application in order to organize data and perform a wide variety of complex statistical analyses.
Skills and abilities to:
- Compile and organize a wide variety of data in order to conduct research.
- Read, understand, and interpret public health-related technical information.
- Identify and apply appropriate statistical methods to evaluate data.
- Analyze data to draw logical conclusions and make sound clinical management and policy recommendations.
- Prepare and write reports and manuscripts concerning the findings of statistical analysis.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with department director, scientific researchers, and staff.
Minimum Qualifications: MPH in epidemiology, public health, or related field AND at least (2) two years experience in study design methodology and statistical analyses. PhD level candidates will also be considered. Statistical skills are a must. Pay is commensurate with education and experience. Previous experience with military health issues is preferred.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to work in a team efficiently and be able to manage a project from conceptualization through completion. Must be a US citizen and have the ability to obtain secret clearance. To apply: http://jobs.saic.com/job/San-Diego-Research-Epidemiologist-Job-CA-92101/2413571/
For more info please see http://jobs.saic.com/job/San-Diego-Research-Epidemiologist-Job-CA-92101/2413571/
Back to the Job Listings page