Required Orientations 2014
Department Orientation - Register here
Required for all New Spring, Summer, and Autumn 2014 students (including postdocs)
Required for all New Spring, Summer, and Autumn 2014 students (except clinicians with clinic at same
- Date: Thursday, September 18, 2014
- Time: 1pm - 5pm
- Location: Health Sciences T733: Use the elevators in the T-wing. (The elevator near Epideimiology
does not go to the 7th floor.)
- Optional Tour: A tour for new Epi students.
- Date: Monday, September 15, 2014
- Time: 1:00-2:30pm
- Location: F349 Health Sciences
- One floor above the Epi Program Office
Arrive early in order to check in, except Lab Safety.
- BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS TRAINING: (Required for all MPH students INCLUDING CLINICIANS, AND for all students who will work with
biospecimens or patients as part of their Epi studies): Offered Monday 9/22 at 2:30-3:45pm.
(Also available online, but in-person strongly recommended. See http://www.ehs.washington.edu/psotrain/index.shtm)
- LABORATORY SAFETY TRAINING (Required for all students who will work in a lab): offered twice: Monday 9/22 and Tuesday 9/23
- BIOSAFETY TRAINING (Required if working with biospecimens): offered Monday 9/22 at 1:00-2:15pm.
- FIRE EXTINGUISHER TRAINING (Required if there are Bunsen burners in your lab): Offered 6 times: Monday 9/22 and Tuesday 9/23 at 9:30, 10:30, and 11:30.
- You will need your UWNetID, UW email address, UW Student or Employee ID #, Department Name (Epidemiology), Department Box # (357236),
Name of Department Contact (Kate O'Brien), Email of Department Contact (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Department
- You must bring your Husky Card to the training.
Location of training sessions: Physics/Astronomy
Auditorium (PAB), A-102
Go to the southern auditorium side of the courtyard (Fire Extinguisher Training in A110.
Late Registration deadline September 12, 2014
Required for all new RA's and TA's, recommended for potential RA's and TA's and students interested in a teaching career
- Two days of workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday, September 16 and 17
- International TA's must attend ITA Monday, September 15.
- Bring your Husky ID Card to the conference.
- Arrive early if you registered late to complete your registration.
TB Test Clinics: October 6 and return October 8
Required for all new students except practicing clinicians whose immunizations are monitored by a U.S. health organization
and have provided documentation of compliance with all required immunizations and tests and have been exempted individually. Required for all non-practicing clinicians including
non-local and research-only fellows.
Strongly recommended for students who have not earned a degree in the US
- First Clinic is on Monday October 6, with appointments between 12:00pm and 3:00pm. You will need to return for your TB test to
be read on Wednesday October 8 between 12:00pm and 3:00pm.
- Obtain immunizations and 2 TB tests first, complete form, and send to email@example.com immediately
- Requirements and Form (for non-clinicians and non-practicing clinicians only)
- Location: South Campus Center, Room 220C/D
- Make an appointment here
- If you have unavoidable commitments, email firstname.lastname@example.org to attend with an earlier group.
- Greeting Table: September 8-12, 2014 10am-1pm, HUB Lobby Attendance Required.
- Opening Day: September 10, 2014, 1:00pm, Meany Hall
- Events from September 8 - 19, 2014
- International students without US degree are charged for most of the on-campus informational sessions regardless of attendance. Social events may have an additional charge
Global Health Certificates Information Session
Strongly recommended for students interested in Global Health.
Upcoming Social Events:
- see Certificates Available
- EPI Global Health Track students may not earn the general GH Certificate due to Graduate School regulations, but may earn another GH Certificate.
- Date and Time TBD
- D209 Health Sciences (possibly subject to change)
- Go to the 2nd floor of the F-wing.
- Go to southern main hall.
- Turn left (east) in hall.
- Pass court cafe.
- Continue to Turner Auditorium on right (north).
- First Epi Student Happy Hour of the year: Hosted by students, see the orientation email for details.
- Epi Department Welcome Barbeque
- For all Epi faculty, students, and staff only
- Date TBD, 12:30-2:00 PM in the Health Sciences G-courtyard, just west of the F-wing. (Epi Department-hosted)
- RSVP to email@example.com with your choice of hamburger, veggie burger, or hotdog.
- Feel free to bring a side dish or salad (not lettuce) to share if you wish.
- Epidemiology Student Happy Hours: Usually every 2 weeks during the academic year. (Epi student-hosted)
- UW Epi student-hosted social events: For updates on UW Epi Social events and contact info, join the UW Epi Social group on
Facebook! (This page is not sponsored by the Epidemiology Department, and opinions/events are not endorsed by the Department.)
Return to New Student Page
This page was last updated on
August 27, 2014