Required Orientations 2013
Department Orientation - Pre-register here
(not available yet)
Required for all New Spring, Summer, and Autumn 2013 students (including postdocs)
Required for all New Spring, Summer, and Autumn 2013 students (except clinicians with clinic at same
Required for new students to meet other students and give to the community. Only clinicians with clinic at the
same time exempted.
- Date: Wednesday, September 18, 2013
- Time: 1pm - 5pm
- Location: Health Sciences K069 Walk south through the Rotunda (I-wing 1st floor) to outside on right; walk downstairs. (It is
very complex to walk from the F-wing.)
Optional tour: Thursday, September 19, meet at 9:30am at the Epi Student Computer Lab in Health Sciences F349 to go on a tour for new Epi
Arrive early in order to register, except Lab Safety.
*If you receive a security certificate error when trying to register, just click "Continue to this
- BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS TRAINING: (Required for all MPH students including clinicians, AND for all students who will work with
biospecimens or patients as part of their Epi studies): Offered Monday 9/23 at 2:30-3:45pm.
(Also available online, but in person strongly recommended. See http://www.ehs.washington.edu/psotrain/index.shtm)
- LABORATORY SAFETY TRAINING (Required for all students who will work in a lab): offered twice: Monday 9/23 and Tuesday 9/24
- BIOSAFETY TRAINING (Required if working with biospecimens): offered Monday 9/23 at 1:00-2:15pm.
- FIRE EXTINGUISHER TRAINING (Required if there are Bunsen burners in your lab): Offered 6 times: Monday 9/23 and Thursday 9/24 at 9:30, 10:30, and 11:30.
- You will need your UWNetID, UW email address, UW Student or Employee ID #, Department Name (Epidemiology), Department Box # (357236),
Name of Department Contact (Kate O'Brien), Email of Department Contact (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Department
- You must bring your Husky Card to the training.
Location of training sessions: Physics/Astronomy
Auditorium (PAB), A-102
Go to the southern auditorium side of the courtyard. (Fire Extinguisher Training in A110)
Required for all new RA's and TA's, recommended for potential RA's and TA's
- Two days of workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday, September 17 and 18
- International TA's must attend ITA Monday, September 16.
- Register onsite
- Bring your Husky ID Card to the conference
Stata Training Workshops
TB Test Clinics: September 30 and return October 2
Required for all new students except practicing clinicians whose immunizations are monitored by a U.S. or
Canadian health organization
and who must provide documentation of compliance to SPH directly by August 31. Required for all non-practicing clinicians including
non-local and research-only fellows.
Strongly recommended for students who have not earned a degree in the US
- First Clinic is on Monday September 30, with appointments between 10:30am and 3:00pm. You will need to return for your test to
be read on Wednesday October 2 between 10:30pm and 2:30pm.
- Obtain immunizations, complete form, and send to email@example.com immediately
- Requirements and Form (for non-clinicians and non-practicing clinicians only)
- Location: South Campus Center, Room 220C
- Make an appointment here
- Greeting Table September 9-13, 10am-1pm, Attendance Required.
- Events from September 11 - 20, 2013
- International students without US degreee are charged for this program regradless of attendance.
Global Health Certificates Information Session
Strongly recommended for students interested in Global Health, but not enrolled in the GH Track.
Upcoming Social Events:
- Friday, October 4, 2:00-2:50 pm
- D209 Health Sciences
- Go to the 2nd floor of the F-wing.
- Go to southern main hall.
- Turn left (east) in hall.
- Pass court cafe.
- Continue to Turner Auditorium on right (north).
- Epi Students Welcome Event: TBA
- First Epi Student Happy Hour of the year: TBA
- Autumn Epi Student Picnic: TBA
- Epi Department Welcome Barbeque
for all Epi faculty, students, and staff
Thursday, October 3, noon in the Health Sciences G-courtyard, just west of the F-wing. (Epi Department-hosted)
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with your choice of hamburger, veggie burger, or hotdog.
Feel free to bring a side dish or salad (not lettuce) to share if you wish.
- Epidemiology Student Happy Hours: Usually every 2 weeks during the academic year. (Epi student-hosted)
- UW Epi student-hosted social events: For updates on UW Epi Social events and contact info, join the UW Epi Social group on
Facebook! (This page is not sponsored by the Epidemiology Department, and opinions/events are not endorsed by the Department.)
Return to New Student Page
This page was last updated on
July 19, 2013