Required Orientation 2012
Department Orientation - Pre-register here
Required for all New Spring, Summer, and Autumn 2012 students (including postdocs)
Required for all New Spring, Summer, and Autumn 2012 students (except clinicians with clinic at same
Required for new students to meet other students and give to the community. Only clinicians with clinic at the
same time exempted.
- Date: Thursday, September 20, 2012
- Time: 1pm - 5pm
- Location: Health Sciences T639 (use the
elevators in the T wing, not the F wing of the Health Sciences building - the 6th floor does not go between the wings)
- Optional tour before Orientation: Meet at 11am at the Epi Student Computer Lab in Health Sciences F349 to go on a tour for new Epi
*If you receive a security certificate error when trying to register, just click "Continue to this
- Saturday September 22, 8:15am - 2:00pm (includes lunch)
- The SPH will send you an email to preregister and directions.
- You will need your UWNetID, UW email address, UW Student or Employee ID #, Department Name (Epidemiology), Department Box # (357236),
Name of Department Contact (Kate O'Brien), Email of Department Contact (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Department
- You must bring your Husky Card to the training.
Location of training sessions: Physics/Astronomy
Auditorium (PAB), A-102
Go to the southern auditorium side of the courtyard. (Fire Extinguisher Training in A110)
Arrive early in order to register, except Lab Safety.
- BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS TRAINING (Required for all MPH students including clinicians, AND for all students who will work with
biospecimens or patients as part of their Epi studies): offered Wednesday 9/19 at 1:00-2:15pm.
(Also available online, but in person strongly recommended. See http://www.ehs.washington.edu/psotrain/index.shtm)
- LABORATORY SAFETY TRAINING (Required for all students who will work in a lab): offered twice: Wednesday 9/19 and Thursday 9/20
- BIOSAFETY TRAINING (Required if working with biospecimens): offered Wednesday 9/19 at 2:30-4:30pm.
- FIRE EXTINGUISHER TRAINING (Required if there are Bunsen burners in your lab): Offered 6 times: Wednesday 9/19 and Thursday
9/20: 9:30-10:20am, or 10:30-11:20am, or 11:30am-12:20pm, but Thursday strongly recommended, A-110 Physics/Astronomy
Required for all new RA's, recommended for potential RA's and TA's
- Two days of workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday, September 18 and 19 (9/19 now full but offered again)
- International TA's should attend on Monday September 17 as well (see schedule)
- Preregistration required; Deadline August 10
- Bring your Husky ID Card to the conference
Stata Training Workshops
- Very important to attend if you don't know Stata.
- 2 session series.
- Friday, September 21 8:30-10:20am and Tuesday September 25, 2:00-4:00pm.
- Mark your calendars
- Preregistration information to be sent later
- Location TBD
TB Test Clinics: October 1 and 4, OR October 3 and 5
Required for all new students except practicing clinicians whose immunizations are monitored by a U.S. or
Canadian health organization
and who must have provide documentation of compliance to SPH directly by August 31. Required for all non-practicing clinicians including
non-local and research-only fellows.
Strongly recommended for students who have not earned a degree in the US
- First Clinic is on Monday October 1, with appointments between 10:30am and 12:30pm. You will need to return for your test to
be read on Thursday October 4th between 1:30pm and 3:00pm.
- Second Clinic is on Wednesday October 3, with appointments between 10:30am and 1:30pm. You will need to return for your test
to be read on Friday October 5th between 2:30pm and 4:00pm.
- Requirements and Form (for non-clinicians and non-practicing clinicians)
- Location: South Campus Center, Room 220C
- Contact email@example.com to make your appointment
- Events from September 12 - 21, 2012
- Some sessions repeated
- International students without US degreee are charged for this program regradless of attendance.
Global Health Certificate Information Session
Strongly recommended for students interested in Global Health, but not enrolled in the GH Track.
Upcoming Social Events:
- Friday, October 5, 2:00-3:00 pm
- K069 Health Sciences
- Go to the south end of the H-wing on the 2nd floor, west side by the elevators.
- Exit the doors
- Enter the K-wing from the far (west) side of the flat area.
- Go downstairs. K069 is straight ahead at the bottom of the (long) stairs.
- SPH Networking Reception and Student Engagement Fair:
September 21, 5:00 to 6:00 pm, Rotunda Cafe,
I-Wing, Health Sciences (SPH-hosted)
- Epi Students Welcome Hike: Sunday, September 23 (Epi student-hosted)
- First Epi Student Happy Hour of the year: Friday September 28, 5pm (Epi student-hosted)
- Autumn Epi Student Picnic: Sunday, September 30, 2pm (Epi student-hosted)
- Epi Department Welcome Barbeque for all Epi faculty, students, and staff: Wednesday October 10 at noon in the Health Sciences
just west of the F-wing. (Epi Department-hosted)
- Epidemiology Student Happy Hours: Usually every 2 weeks during the academic year. (Epi student-hosted)
- UW Epi student-hosted social events: For updates on UW Epi Social events and contact info, join the UW Epi Social group on
Facebook! (This page is not sponsored by the Epidemiology Department, and opinions/events are not endorsed by the Department.)
Return to New Student Page
This page was last updated on
Septmeber 19, 2012