Epi Soul logo image Epi Soul logo image
  1. UW Home |
  2. SPH  |
  3. Other Departments |
online giving

Washington Residency

To establish residency for tuition purposes, you must obtain several proofs that you plan to become a Washington resident within 30 days of arrival in the state. (International students are not eligible).

  • Work Hours and Period
    You or your spouse must work for at least 30 hours/week in Washington State at a non-student job or 20 hrs/week as an RA/TA/SA for a full calendar year prior to the start of the quarter for which you apply for residency.
    • You must apply for residency 2 months prior to the start of the quarter or the decision may be delayed.
    • Most predoc and postdoc NIH fellowships are considered 100% unless otherwise stated by the hiring unit. (MCH fellowships are probably not considered 100%.)
    • Vacations outside the state are counted against the calendar year.
    • UW pay stubs are available from MyUW under Employee Self-Service.

  • Waiver of Work Requirement: Currently, a graduate student may obtain a waiver of the work requirement if s/he applies and is denied residence classification for this reason alone. However, this will be ended for Autumn 2012 new graduate degree students.

  • Washington State Driver's License:
    To obtain a Washington State driver's license (or state ID card), you must provide proof that you are residing in Washington State. Rent receipts or lease agreements with multiple unrelated individuals named require additional proof, such as 2 utility bills with your name.
    • You can obtain a transcript showing your registration, even if you have not completed any courses yet.

  • Washington State License Plates - Do not wait until your our-of-state plates expire.

  • Car Insurance:

  • Washington State Bank Account
    • A national bank must have a Washington State address as your primary address and be a local branch, if availible.

  • Washington State Voter Registration
  • (for U.S. citizens only)

  • Additional tips
    • Save proof of volunteer work hours.
    • Save rent receipts, pay stubs, utility bills, proof of date of Washington state bank account establishment, daycare receipts, etc.
    • Purchasing property can also help you qualify for residency.

If you are late in taking care of any of the above items, you will jeopardize your ability to pay resident tuition in your 2nd year of study.

Information and Application Forms for applying for resident classification.

  • Email resquest@uw.edu or call 206-543-5932.
  • Sometimes a student must visit the Residency Office in person at 264 Schmitz Hall to get an answer to a question. The Epidemiology Student Academic Services is not allowed to answer detailed residency questions.

This page was last updated on February 2, 2012