Epi Soul logo image Epi Soul logo image
  1. UW Home |
  2. SPH  |
  3. Other Departments |
online giving


Temporary Accommodation Housing Links
UW Graduate Student HousingFaculty (fellows) Housing Service
Off Campus Housing


On-campus housing options for graduate students are plentiful and varied. Singles and families are encouraged to contact Housing & Food Services for information.

Off-Campus Housing
  • Most students live off campus in one of the neighborhoods listed below. By September, especially mid-month, there is less choice available, although it is still possible to find housing within a reasonable distance from the UW. Be sure to check the Metro Bus Trip Planner for bus routes and schedules unless the accommodations are close enough to walk.

  • Neighborhoods within Easy Busing Distance University, See Map.

    • U-District, Wallingford, Laurelhurst, Sandpoint, Montlake, Capitol Hill (more expensive), Northgate, Lake City, Maple Leaf, Fremont, Phinney, Greenlake, Ballard, Eastlake, Ravenna, Viewridge, and Wedgewood. (The bus service from Queen Anne to the UW is not so good.)

    • Walking/Biking Distance: U-District, Eastlake, Ravenna, Laurelhurst, Wallingford are within walking or easy biking distance of the UW.

    • Driving to campus on a daily basis costs about $450/quarter (unless you car pool) and the parking lots are 3/4's of a mile from Health Sciences. A postdoctoral fellow or RA/TA/SA may obtain a permit in a lot about 1/2 a mile away if his/her work location is Health Sciences. See Transportation Services.

  • Off-Campus Housing Lists: Associated Students of the University of Washington (ASUW) has a very useful Off-campus Housing Affairs website. You must have a UW NetID to view the housing lists.

  • Rent Rates*
    Single-Family HomesApartments (one bedroom)Rooms in shared housing
    $1,500 to $2,500$900 to $2,000$500 to $850
    *These rates are only an estimate and may vary depending on quality of the property and location.

  • Pets: It is quite difficult to find rental facilities that will accept pets (especially large breed dogs or cats). Expect to pay extra for properties that allow pets.
Housing Links Visiting Faculty Housing Service

Faculty and staff on sabbatical and private landlords often advertise rental housing through this service. It includes rooms in shared housing to single-family homes. It serves postdocs and visiting scholars. Some faculty exchange housing may be furnished. Contact the office below and you will receive a detailed form to complete about your preferences.

421 Bagley Hall
Phone: 206-543-6252 (The office cannot return long-distance phone calls.)
Email: vfhs@u.washington.edu
Hours: M-F, 9:30-12:30
Note: This office is run by volunteers. Please allow several days for a response.

Return to New Students Page
Return to Student Life Page

This page was last updated on February 5, 2013