There are several options for permanent housing including university graduate housing, off-campus housing and faculty exchange housing.
Visiting Faculty Housing Service
- Most students live off campus in one of the neighborhoods listed below. By September, especially mid-month, there is less choice
available, although it is still possible to find housing within a reasonable distance from the UW. Be sure to check the Metro Bus Trip Planner for bus routes and schedules unless the accommodations are
close enough to walk.
- Neighborhoods within Easy Busing Distance University, See Map.
- U-District, Wallingford, Laurelhurst, Sandpoint, Montlake, Capitol Hill (more expensive), Northgate, Lake City, Maple Leaf,
Fremont, Phinney, Greenlake, Ballard, Eastlake, Ravenna, Viewridge, and Wedgewood. (The bus service from Queen Anne to the UW is
not so good.)
- Walking/Biking Distance: U-District, Eastlake, Ravenna, Laurelhurst, Wallingford are within walking or easy biking distance of
- Driving to campus on a daily basis costs about $450/quarter (unless you car pool) and the parking lots are 3/4's of a
mile from Health Sciences. A postdoctoral fellow or RA/TA/SA may obtain a permit in a lot about 1/2 a mile away if his/her
work location is
Health Sciences. See Transportation
- Off-Campus Housing Lists: Associated Students of the University of Washington (ASUW)
has a very useful Off-campus Housing Affairs
website. You must have a UW NetID to view the
- Rent Rates*
*These rates are only an estimate and may vary depending on quality of the property and location.
|Single-Family Homes||Apartments (one bedroom)||Rooms in shared housing|
|$1,500 to $2,500||$900 to $2,000||$500 to $850/td>|
- Pets: It is quite difficult to find rental facilities that will accept pets (especially large breed dogs or cats). Expect to pay
extra for properties that allow pets.
Faculty and staff on sabbatical and private landlords often advertise rental housing through this service. It includes rooms in shared housing
to single-family homes. It serves postdocs and visiting scholars. Some faculty exchange housing may be furnished. Contact the office below and you
will receive a detailed form to complete about your preferences.
421 Bagley Hall
Phone: 206-543-6252 (The office cannot return long-distance phone calls.)
Hours: M-F, 9:30-12:30
Note: This office is run by volunteers. Please allow several days for a response.
Return to New Students Page
Return to Student Life Page
This page was last updated on
February 5, 2013