School of Public Health

Non-matriculated Applicants

By enrolling as a Non-Matriculated (NM) or Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) student, you can earn UW academic credit for coursework taken without being admitted to a degree program. 

You should register as a non-matriculated student (NM) if you want to register for courses at the UW but do not plan to apply the credits toward a degree. Learn more about NM course registration, important dates and deadlines, and tuition on the Non-Degree Enrollment website. If you have any questions about issues related to NM status or procedures please contact Non-Degree Registration Services.

You should register as a graduate non-matriculated student (GNM) if you plan to apply the credits you earn toward a specific UW graduate degree in the future. Find out more about Graduate Non-Matriculated Status, including eligibility requirements, number of credits that can be applied to a degree if you are later admitted to the Graduate School, and course registration, from the UW Graduate School.

The Epidemiology Department requires that you submit an online application that includes a Statement of Purpose, unofficial transcripts, and a CV/Resume.  The UW Graduate School also has a number of Graduate Non-Matriculated Eligibility Requirements. In your online application, we encourage you to address which courses you hope to take in epidemiology and how the training will contribute to your specific career or educational goals. No GRE or letters of recommendation are required. You may apply for entry in Fall, Winter, or Spring quarter. Application deadlines:

Fall quarter entry - August 15

Winter quarter entry - December 1

Spring quarter entry - February 15

Course registration as a GNM student varies depending on whether or not you are participating in the UW or state employee tuition exemption program. Registration procedures can be found at the UW Graduate School as well.

In some cases, tuition and fees charged to GNM students are more than those charged to graduate students.

If you are not participating in the UW or state employee tuition exemption program contact the UW Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) office for information about tuition and additional fees.

If you are participating in the UW or state employee tuition exemption program you can find more information about tuition and fees on the Tuition Exemption Program webpage.