Epi Soul logo image Epi Soul logo image
  1. UW Home |
  2. SPH  |
  3. Other Departments |
online giving

Faculty/Staff Tuition Exemption

  • Limitations
  • Examples of Tuition Charges
  • Tuition Charges
  • Required Quarterly Paperwork

  • It is critical that you read this entire webpage very carefully, or you will owe the UW thousands of additional dollars.

    The faculty/staff tuition exemption program is a benefit offered to 2013-2014 University employees. To be eligible, an employess must hold at least a half-time, non-temporary appointment, have supervisor approval, and meet the other requirements listed on the tuition exemption website. This program has a number of limitations and additional costs. The Tuition Exemption Request Form must be filled out, signed and submitted no later than two weeks in advance of each quarter that the student registers.


    • A faculty/Staff tuition exempt student may not register for any credits before the 3rd day of the quarter at 6 a.m. or he/she will be charged full tuition (4th day for Washington State Employees).
    • See Registration Deadlines in the Academic Calendar for exact dates.
    • Students using the tuition exemption register on a space-available basis. Students may not always be able to take the courses they want and should have a backup plan.
      • Important: Several Epidemiology and SPH courses usually fill prior to the 3rd day of the quarter due to increased enrollment in the School.
      • These courses include, but are not limited to the following: BIOST 511/512 (Autumn/Winter), EPI 510 (Winter), EPI 514 (Spring), EPI 515 (Spring), EPI 528 (Spring), EPI 536-7 (Autumn/Winter), EPI 573 (Autumn), EPI 588 (Spring), ENVH 511 (Winter), HSERV 510 (Spring), HSERV 511 (Autumn).
      • During 2013-4 room will be made for students in core classes, but not necessarily electives.
      • Epidemiology degree students who are required to take courses that are controlled by add codes should request codes as soon as the Time Schedule for the following quarter is available.
    • The tuition exemption can only be used for class credits below the 600-level. This means that any credits of Independent Study (EPI 600), Master's Thesis (EPI 700) or Doctoral Dissertation (EPI 800) will be charged at the full tuition rate with the exception explained below.
    • More Information

    Tuition Charges

    • Students using the Faculty/Staff Tuition Exemption will be charged about $200 in fees for up to 6 class credits (below 600) each quarter.
    • If the student is enrolled 6 class credits including a total of 7 to 18 credits of any type, then the tuition will be about $1000 per quarter (This is an estimate of tuition costs for 2014-15 for a student eligible for resident tuition. Tuition is subject to change each year.)
    • Classified Staff: Must work 6 months prior to eligibility
    • A non-resident student who is beyond his/her 1st year as a UW employee will owe ~ $2000/quarter.
    • A student who starts in Autumn but has not taken BIOST 511/517 or the equivalent, and wishes to take EPI 512, will have to take both courses in Autumn and pay the extra tuition.
    • When a student registers for 600, 700 or 800 level only, s/he will have to pay full tuition for 2 credits (minimum charged by UW) or more unless s/he registers for at least 6 class credits during the same quarter. In other words, it is much more expensive to take only 600, 700, or 800 credits in a quarter than to take them plus 6 or more class credits plus 600, 700, or 800.

    Examples Of Tuition Charges

    • Tuition Rates

    • It is not possible to calculate the exact amount it will cost each quarter because it depends upon the courses taken and when. See below.

    • The MPH has a higher tuition rate than the MS and PhD (Public Health Graduate Programs). You can figure out the approximate tuition you will owe using the same method as below.

    • MPH tuition if taking at least 6 credits numbered under 600, plus additional credits of any kind up to 18 in quarter (2013-2014), if paying resident tuition.

      MPH Fulltime Resident Tuition $5742
      Minus Tuition for 6 Credits Numbered under 600 $4933
      Subtotal $ 809
      Plus Tuition Exemption Registration Fee $ 30
      Total $ 839

    • You will owe any additional fees. For example, EPI 510 and 513 have course fees. Other items could include a donation to WASHPIRG, etc, as selected when you register. Additional fees are not covered by the exemption.

    • The required coursework for the MS or MPH does not add to the required 60/63 credits, respectively. You must earn 9 to 18 Epi 700 Thesis credits. You may also earn Epi 600 Independent study credits for any epidemiology-related research, if approved by supervisor, as well as additional course credits, if desired, to reach the required total. In general, 1 credit should involve 3 hours work/week for a quarter.
    • If you are an Epidemiology degree student, take enough research credits/qtr during your 1st academic year so that you are registered for 18 credits/qtr. Find a thesis/dissertation chair and a topic quickly so you can register for 700 during your 1st year or 800 during your 2nd year as applicable.
    • MPH tuition if taking less than 6 class credits (under 600-level) and taking independent study, thesis or dissertation in a same quarter will cost you more.

      The tuition for the number of class credits you take up to 6 will be subtracted from fulltime tuition. Thus the fewer the class credits, the more you will owe if you also take research credits. An example is listed below. Take Epi 600, 700, 800 credits at the same time as you take 6 class credits.

      MPH Fulltime Resident Tuition $5742
      Minus Tuition for 2 Credits Numbered under 600 $1697
      Subtotal $4045
      Plus Tuition Exemption Registration Fee $ 30
      Total $4075

    Required Quarterly Paperwork

    • A student who wishes to use the tuition exemption must first apply for admission and be accepted into a University degree program or apply as a Graduate Nonmatriculated (GNM) student.
      • A GNM student using the tuition exemption needs to apply only once to the University as long as he/she maintains continuous enrollment in the same status, including Summer Quarter.
      • A GNM student who does not register for any quarter will lose his/her GNM status and have to re-apply to continue as GNM.
    • A Faculty/staff tuition-exempt student each quarter must submit the required Tuition Exemption Request Form, signed by his/her employing department chair or supervisor at least two weeks before the quarter in which he/she wishes to use the exemption, to the Registration Office, Box 355850, 225 Schmitz Hall, regoff@uw.edu.
    • It is critical that new appointments and appointment extensions are in UW payroll before the applicable quarter starts. Contact your payroll coordinator to make sure this happens because the payroll deadline is later.

    Return to Current Student , New Student, or Non-Matriculated Registration Webpage

    Updated February 18, 2014