Last month, we announced the coming release of the UW Blogs Network for faculty and staff, powered by WordPress. For those of you who couldn’t wait to get started on your own UW blog, we have good news: it’s now available! By going to blogs.uw.edu, you can learn more or start creating your own UW WordPress-powered blog. Please note that you must activate the UW Blog Network through your myUW account (these steps will be covered in the second half of the post).
We at Learning Technologies would like to help get you started. If you continue reading, we will provide a quick step-by-step tutorial on getting started with a UW blog. If you feel you need to get a little more inspired first, check out some existing UW Blogs.
Update: Thanks to the UW Bothell Web Team for informing us about the custom Bothell theme that has been developed for UW Bothell pages. See below for details on changing the default theme.
- Before you set up your blog, you must go to your myUW to activate blog activity. Go to myuw.washington.edu, log in, and click on My Account in the top right corner of the page.
- From the menu on the left of the page, click Computing Services. This will reveal a list of active and inactive services. To activate your UW blog, check the box next to WordPress Network Blog and click Subscribe.
- Now, go to blogs.uw.edu. This is the UW Blogs Network home page. Click Login/Dashboard at the top of the page and sign in with your UW NETID.
- You will be automatically directed to your personal profile for the site. Fill out your personal information (nickname & email required) and click Update Profile.
- Go to the top of the page and find My Sites. Hover your mouse over it, and select your blog from the drop-down menu that appears. It should be called Blog of XXXXX (your NET ID).
- You will be redirected to your blog’s Dashboard. This is where you can publish new posts, view and edit comments, set preferences, and manage users for your blog, among other things.
- To add a new post, click on Posts from the menu on the left side of the page. This will give you a view of all of your previously published posts and drafts, and will also allow you to create new posts. To do this, click Add New next to the title.
- Give your blog post a name, then begin typing content in the spaces provided. Click any of the icons next to Upload/Insert to add media to your post. If you would like to format your post, use any of the tools in the text toolbar.
- When you are ready to publish the post, click the blue Publish button to the right of your content.
- Your post is now published! To view it on your site, click the link that says Blog of XXXXX above the Add New Post title.
- To change the theme of your blog, click on the Appearance tab on the left menu bar and select Themes. You can pick from existing themes or search for additional themes to install. A custom Bothell campus theme has been developed for use on UW Bothell pages.