University of Washington School of Medicine
Department of Family Medicine
Clinical Faculty Appointment Process
- Application package with letter of recommendation from the residency program director, clerkship coordinator, or course coordinator is submitted to Family Medicine chair.
- Approval by the chair.
- Review and vote by Family Medicine Appointments and Promotions Committee.
- Specialty physicians review and concurrence of specialty department chair (if applicable).
- Vote by Family Medicine faculty.
- Application package with chair's letter of recommendation is submitted to Dean of School of Medicine for approval and forwarding to UW Academic Personnel Office.
- Provost and Board of Regents approval.
- Department enters clinical faculty information in University of Washington personnel database. At this point the applicant is eligible for UW services.
- Appointment confirmation is mailed to the new faculty member.
- ID card with employee identification number and personal access code is mailed to new faculty member, if out of area; instructions for obtaining ID card are mailed to new faculty member, if in area.
- Information package is mailed to new faculty by the Health Sciences Library.
Common errors made in completing the application:
- Residency satellite site director submits package directly to the chair without first submitting package to his/her program director for concurrence and letter of recommendation;
- Missing signatures;
- CV is missing;
- Copy or fax submitted (must have originals);
- Board certification information is missing;
- No clear explanation of faculty contribution to the program or the number of hours they are involved.