Fidalgo Medical Associates
Established in 1972, Anacortes is one of the original Family Medicine Clerkship sites. The physician, faculty, and office staff are comfortable working with students and enjoy integrating them into their practices. Three family practices participate in the Family Medicine Clerkship in Anacortes including Fidalgo Medical Associates, Island Family Physicians or North Cascade Family Physicians in nearby Mt. Vernon.
• Island Family Physicians (IFP): Physician family medicine group. All physicians are active with teaching: Drs. Hogge, Reiger, Bjorseth, James, and Sweeney.
• North Cascade Family Practice (NCFP): in Mt. Vernon, Washington, a 14-physician Family Practice group with the majority of the teaching done by Drs. J. Gamson, J. Ploudre and M. Dubek.
Anacortes is homeport to the San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest. Located on Fidalgo Island, Anacortes is conveniently situated halfway between Seattle and Vancouver BC and is the destination point for the San Juans and International ferry runs for Washington State.
Students spend the majority of time in ambulatory care clinics, but also are actively involved in the care of hospitalized patients, including surgical assisting and obstetrics. Students rotate on emergency call at the hospital. Students spend time at the Swinomish Indian reservation to experience some of the cultural diversity seen in medicine. Anacortes is a medium-sized rural community that gives students an opportunity to see medicine practiced in various group settings.
Call is five nights during the rotation and one weekend. ER call is weeknights until 10-11 PM and weekend call is 6-8 hour shifts.
Furnished three-bedroom, two bath apartment. It is approximately four miles from the hospital. Need advance notice for children and spouses since housing needs to be coordinated with the other student for the rotation. No pets. The apartment is about 4 miles or 15-minute bike ride away. For students at North Cascade Family Practice, a car is needed as Mt. Vernon is about 20 minutes from Anacortes.
Some facts about the weather in Anacortes
- On average, the warmest month is August.
- The highest recorded temperature was 95°F in 1931.
- On average, the coolest month is December.
- The lowest recorded temperature was 4°F in 1964.
- The most precipitation on average occurs in November.