Idaho State University Family Medicine Residency
IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY
FAMILY MEDICINE RESIDENCY
The Idaho State University Family Medicine Residency provides a collegial learning experience through which residents become mature, competent and compassionate family physicians. In an environment characterized by academic, technological and clinical innovation, each learner and teacher is encouraged to pursue a path of individual professional growth and leadership. From public policy advocacy to cutting edge information technology to high-quality, multidisciplinary care for the underserved, we seek and encourage the best in family medicine.
ISU Family Medicine Residency Focus/Special Features:
- Community-based, university-affiliated residency
- Only residency program in eastern Idaho
- Extraordinarily supportive medical community
- Emphasis placed on culturally appropriate care of underserved populations
- Flexible curriculum that adapts to the goals of individual learners and communities.
- Family friendly, collegial environment.
- High volume obstetrical and procedural experience is available
- Academic pursuits such as research and writing for publication actively promoted
- Located in Pocatello, a safe, affordable, family-oriented community in the mountains of southeast Idaho
- Cross-country and downhill skiing, fishing, white-water, rock-climbing, mountain-biking and many other outdoor pursuits just minutes away
ISU Family Medicine Residency Curriculum:
The ISU FMR curriculum provides for training in the full breadth of family medicine, preparing residents for practice in a wide range of settings. Maternity training offers a high volume of deliveries, high-risk care and operative deliveries. Experience in a variety of outpatient procedures is available including endoscopy, vasectomy, and LEEP. We offer teaching clinics, attended by consulting faculty, in gynecology, ENT, urology, dermatology, neurology and an interdisciplinary HIV clinic. The cultural diversity of our patient population is enhanced by a Rural Perinatal Clinic serving migrant and seasonal farm worker families, the care of Native Americans from Fort Hall Indian Reservation on our inpatient service and overseas electives.
Pocatello Family Medicine:
The Residency’s Family Medicine Center is a state-of-the-art, fully computerized, multi-disciplinary clinic with 17 examination rooms and procedure room. The clinic offers onsite psychological services, health education, clinical research coordinator, nutrition counseling, electronic health record, academic offices and a cutting edge digital classroom / conference room. The patient population reflects the makeup of the general community. The obstetrical training includes care for poor and under-insured mothers.
The ISU Family Medicine Residency Program was established in 1992 as part of ISU’s College of Health Professions. The Residency is fully accredited and enjoys affiliations with both the University of Washington and University of Utah residency networks. The majority of our graduates are practicing in rural and underserved settings throughout the Intermountain West.
For further information about the Residency, the community and the application process, please contact: