UW NetID and Library Access
Directions for Residents Directions for Residents Offcampus access to UW restricted online resources is mediated by a system known as a "proxy".
How do I use the library from Off-campus?
- Go to the Health Sciences Library (HSL) website http://hsl.uw.edu. Note that Clinical information resources are gathered on the HSL Care Provider Toolkit: http://hsl.uw.edu/toolkits/care-provider
- Most e-journals, ebooks and databases are restricted to current UW students, faculty and staff (including FMRN residents). Simply click on the resource that you want, and you will be prompted for your UW NetID and password when it is needed.
- If you log in successfully, you will be redirected to your resource and will see "offcampus.lib.washington.edu" within the address bar.
Do I have a UW NetID? Your UW NetID is your personal identification for using UW online resources. You only need to set up a UW NetID once. If you already created a UW NetID but forgot your password, reset your password online or call UW Computing directly at 206-221-5000.
How do I get a UW NetID? Your residency program coordinator will give you a private access code (PAC) you may use to obtain a UW NetID. There is a special website for FMRN residents that will walk you through setting up a UW NetID, but you must know your PAC before beginning. Also keep in mind that these PACs expire if not used within about 60 days. If your PAC is not working, please contact UW Computing at 206-221-5000; identify yourself as a medical resident and they should be able to reset your PAC.
Hints for using the proxy
- Use your browser's forward and back buttons to move around
- If you fall out of the off-campus proxy space, and no longer see "offcampus.lib.washington.edu" within the address bar, go back to the HSL site to re-enter the resource
- When you go to an external resource (eg ejournal, textbook), a new window will open. Be sure to log out if needed and close that new window when you are finished with the resource. Return to the Health Sciences Library window to continue your session.
- At the end of your session, be sure to close your browser windows completely so that others cannot use your access.
- For more information, and tips on using your own bookmarks and links: http://www.lib.washington.edu/help/connect.html .
Using PubMed to access full text articles
- Before using PubMed search boxes on the HSL site from off-campus, login at the link indicated above the search box.
- Follow purple UW buttons to access full text. For more information: http://hsl.uw.edu/topics/pubmed-help
Ordering copies of articles
FMRN residents are eligible to use the UW Libraries Document Delivery Services to order pdf scans of articles not available online. To be able to use the service, you must set up a library account. Contact UW Libraries Account Services, M-F 9am-5pm PST at 206-543-1174. State that you are a "medical resident" and would like a library account. Once your account has been created, you will be able to order copies of articles using your UW NetID. Click on Order Articles from the hsl.uw.edu/ home page, or click the "Articles (1-2 days)" link when following purple UW full text icons in PubMed. http://hsl.uw.edu/topics/pubmed-help http://hsl.uw.edu/topics/pubmed-help
How do I get assistance?
- Problems with a forgotten password (for those who once had a UW NetID)
- Reset your password online or call UW Computing at 206-221-5000
- Problems with the UWNetID form
- Call UW Computing at (206) 543-5970 - firstname.lastname@example.org be sure to identify yourself as a UW medical resident
- Questions about libraries content, resources & access
- Sarah Safranek, Information Management Librarian phone: (206) 543-3408
- Additional help with UW NetIDs and Network online resources
- Molly Ormsby or Tiffany Jones or call the general Network line at (206) 685-1856