Friday Harbor Laboratories

Researcher Application Form

Planning to participate in research at FHL? Begin by submitting this form, being sure to fill in all fields; enter "n/a" if a field is not applicable. Each person, from high school student to retired professor, should submit her/his own application.

In addition to submitting this form, please e-mail the following documents as attachments to the FHL Facilities Coordinator:

1. CV (with the file name "LastnameFirstnameCV" e.g. "DarwinCharlesCV.doc")

2. A list of publications & grants related to your work at FHL (with the file name "LastnameFirstnamePubs" e.g. "HaeckelErnstPubs.pdf"). This list may be a part of your CV, in which case you don't need to send a separate "Pubs" document. The list should include:

    a) published or in-press studies from your lab that are directly related to the research you have done or intend to pursue at FHL,

    indicating which of these were the product of earlier visits to FHL.

    b) any grants or other funding that have supported your recent research at FHL or will support your proposed research at FHL.

About You

First Name
Last Name
What will be your role at FHL?
Academic title at home institution
Highest degree earned
Year degree awarded
Institution where degree earned
Your supervisor/advisor (field required if you do not have a PhD)

Webpage, Contact & Vehicle Information

If you have a personal, research-related webpage, please provide URL
E-mail address
Cell phone
Home phone (optional)
Vehicle License Plate (if you'll have a vehicle at FHL)

Institutional Address

Street & Number
Street Address 2
Office phone

Home Address

Street Address
Zip / Postal code

Requested Dates at FHL

Requested Date of Arrival (as MM/DD/YEAR, e.g. 02/28/2018)
Requested Date of Departure (as MM/DD/YEAR, e.g. 03/17/2018)

Requested Housing at FHL

A note about pets at FHL: if you are bringing a pet of any sort, you must live off campus or board your pet at a local kennel; let us know here if you plan to live off campus.
HOUSING AVAILABLE FOR VISITORS. For professionals: apartments, cottages, and duplexes. For graduate students: grad dorm rooms (all single occupancy), standard dorm rooms (double or single), and huts (double or single). For undergraduates: standard dorm rooms and huts. Note that residents of standard dorms and huts are required to subscribe to full meal plans in the Dining Hall.
What is your preferred housing? If you plan to share a unit with other research applicants, please list all of their names after your housing request here.
Name of spouse/partner staying with you at FHL, if NOT a research applicant (your answer helps us sort mail).
Names and ages of accompanying children.

Bringing Students or Research Assistants (RAs) along?

If you plan to bring students or RAs to FHL, please list their name(s) here. After each name, indicate if you or the student/RA will pay for her/his housing, lab space, meals, stockroom charges, and copies. Please be sure that each person you list also submits a research application in full for her/himself.

Paying for your Stay at FHL

Your source of funding for research at FHL
Your payment method
UW Budget #, if any  

Research Requirements

Please indicate your research needs below, being as specific as possible.
Animal or plant specimens you plan to collect at FHL: provide species names and approximate numbers.
Do you plan to bring in any species which are not native to the San Juan Islands?
Non-native animals or plants you plan to bring in: species and approximate numbers. The WA Dept of Fish & Wildlife requires permits for importation of marine organisms into Washington; advance notice of plans for imports is required.
What are your needs for lab space? Do you require indoor or outdoor aquaria? ***Also, please list here the names of all persons with whom you plan to share a lab space (each person must submit their own application).***
Is there any special equipment you'd like to request?
Unusual amounts and/or kinds of laboratory glassware or chemicals you'd like to request?
Do you plan to use the micro-CT scanner at FHL?
Do you plan to use scanning or transmission electron microscopes at FHL?
Do you plan to use radioisotopes at FHL?
Anyone intending to SCUBA dive at FHL must obtain permission from the Dive Safety Officer, Pema Kitaeff, at least 6 weeks prior to planned dives either to obtain permission via reciprocity or to begin the scientific certification process. All diving under UW auspices is conducted according to AAUS scientific diving standards (recreational diving is not allowed on the premises). Refer to Boating & Diving at FHL and the University of Washington Diving Safety Program for more information.
Do you plan to use SCUBA in connection with your proposed research at FHL?   
Do you plan to use FHL boats in connection with your proposed research at FHL?   
Researchers intending to work with fishes or other vertebrates are required to submit a project proposal to the Office of Animal Welfare of the University of Washington. Please submit your application to the UW ACC directly, with e-mail copy to Pema Kitaeff at the time of your application.
Do you plan to use vertebrates in connection with your proposed research at FHL?   

Description of Your Research

Please describe (in fewer than 250 words) your research interests and outline your plans for work to be carried out at FHL. Include short and long term objectives.
Please provide a very short description (fewer than 100 CHARACTERS, including spaces) of your research interests for publication on the FHL web site and FHL Bulletin. Example: "Investigations of nitric oxide signaling pathways in deuterostomes."
If you are applying to do research at FHL during the busy months of June and July, please answer the following questions (otherwise, simply write "n/a"). In recent years, we have received more applications then can be accomodated during these months, and your answers help us prioritize requests.
1. Is it possible for you to visit FHL at a time other than June and July (yes/no)? If no, please elaborate on the reasons below or add your own reason.
a. Due to the species involved, the research I would like to conduct can be done only at FHL and only in June/July, because...
b. Due to the species involved, the research I would like to conduct can be done only at FHL, and June/July is the only time I can be in Friday Harbor because...
c. I would like to conduct my research at FHL because... (fill in your reason below) and can only arrange my schedule for June/July because...
By submitting this form, I certify that the above information is complete and accurate. I acknowledge that failure to disclose complete and accurate information may result in denial of admission or dismissal from the University. I acknowledge that physical injury and death are risks inherent in the use of these facilities, and assume all associated risks and I agree not to claim against the University for those risks. I agree to hold the University of Washington harmless from any and all injuries, damages and liabilities that may occur in the course of my visit, except for negligent acts or omissions of the University or its employees, students or agents acting in the scope of their duties.

By submitting this form, I agree to follow all Environmental Health and Safety rules at the University of Washington, explained in detail on the Laboratory Safety Checklist. These rules include regulations for Chemical Management, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). I verify that I will follow all regulations on the Laboratory Safety Checklist while at FHL.

The University of Washington reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity in education regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran in accordance with University policy and applicable federal and state statutes and regulations.