Teaching an FHL Course
For instructors who would like to offer a class at FHL
If you are interested in offering a class at the Friday Harbor Laboratories, please discuss ideas for proposed courses with the Director more than one year in advance, and send a written proposal in the format provided below by April 15th of the preceding year. Proposals should be submitted for the following calendar year (not academic year). Applications will be reviewed by the FHL Advisory Committee. For classes that require a longer lead time, proposals may be submitted 2 years in advance.
To apply, please e-mail the following application elements to FHL Administrator Scott Schwinge (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 15:
- Your CV
- Name of proposed course
- Your name, address, e-mail:
- Any special constraints? Lead time, season, year, outside funding, etc.
- Summer A or Summer B preferred and why?
- 1-2 page substantive description of the course.
- Please indicate for the benefit of people who don't know your field, why this course is important now, and should be offered at UW-FHL, rather than in UW-Seattle (or e.g., Denver).
- How does your teaching experience relate to this course proposal?
- How many students would be registered?
- How will the course use FHL facilities in the following categories?
- Wet labs
- Research Vessel
- FHL analytical gear
The FHL Academic Advisory Committee will be looking for indications that the proposed course is fundamental and important to the education of students who are likely to become professional leaders in marine science nationally. Also, truly innovative courses, i.e., those likely to put together people and ideas that yield fresh thinking and understanding across disciplines are eagerly sought out. Because of the demand for FHL facilities, courses (even very important ones) that can be taught equally well or better elsewhere, are likely to receive a lower priority.
Please note that four courses are taught each summer on a regular basis (invertebrate zoology, comparative invertebrate zoology, algology, fish biology). If you wish to teach or co-teach these courses, please contact the director to see if and when there are openings. The same appplies for courses in our spring and fall programs.