< Student FAQs
Friday Harbor Laboratories

Students' Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Friday Harbor Laboratories? FHL is a University of Washington campus dedicated to teaching and research in the marine sciences. Located on San Juan Island, Washington (75 miles NW of Seattle) FHL enjoys an international reputation for high quality courses and a research-intensive atmosphere.

Can I commute daily to Friday Harbor from Seattle? No, it is not possible for students to communte from Seattle on a daily basis. Students and research apprentices will live and study on the FHL campus full time: five days per week (Mon-Fri) in Spring Quarter and Autumn Quarter; six days per week (Mon-Fri plus Sat morning) for courses in Summer Term A and Summer Term B. It may be possible to leave campus on the occassional weekend.

What are the accommodations like? Dormitories have comfortable, double occupancy rooms with bathrooms down the hall. Each dorm room contains single beds (regular length), desk space with ample lighting, and two chairs. There is plenty of space to store belongings. There are no phones available in dorm rooms, but communal phones are available around campus. You may bring a cell phone (AT&T and Verizon work here, as do some other companies) and you should have a calling card or pre-paid phone card to use for long distance calling or faxing.

What are the arrangements for food? Students and research apprentices are required to purchase the the full-board meal plan while at FHL. The Dining Hall provides numerous options for the diversity of student preferences, including vegetarian and meat dishes, and salad bar. There are no cooking facilities available in the student dorms.

May I have visitors at FHL? Yes, if housing is available when requested and reserved prior to visitors' arrival. Huts or cottages may be rented at a reasonable price on a first come, first served basis. (Huts are heated, one-room structures without plumbing. Bathrooms are nearby.) To request guest housing send an email to: fhlfac@u.washington.edu

How do I get to Friday Harbor?
Click here for information about traveling to Friday Harbor.

Can I get transcripts of my class? Yes, to receive a transcript for a course or apprenticeship completed at FHL, follow instructions provided at the following University of Washington website: http://washington.edu/students/ reg/transcripts.html#Q1.

Please note that your transcript may list a course title that does not match the course title of the course you complete at Friday Harbor Laboratories.The title on the transcript lists the University of Washington "umbrella" course under which the Friday Harbor Labs course is offered. For example, the FHL course title may be "Neuroetholgy" but because the course is Biology 533 it will be listed on a transcript as "BIOL 533 Advanced Organismal Biology" as this is the name assisgned by the UW Biology Dept. for All Biology 533 courses. Unfortunately, the more specific title of the course by FHL cannot be posted on the transcript.

Some FHL students choose to print or provide a link to the appropriate FHL Web page that lists the specific FHL course title and description. This information may be helpful to your advisor or department when you pursue transferring credits to your home institution. Students should speak with their advisors to discuss credit transfers.

The following are examples of University of Washington umbrella course titles under which FHL courses are frequently offered:

BIOL 479 Research in Marine Biology
BIOL 533 Advanced Organismal Biology
FISH 507 Special Topics in Fisheries
OCEAN 492 Friday Harbor Apprenticeship
OCEAN 590 Advanced Topics in Oceanography

What are the requirements for international students?
Students come from all over the world to Friday Harbor Laboratories. All non-U.S. students, including Canadians, accepted to a course or apprenticeship at FHL must request an "I-20 Form" (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status) issued by the University of Washington International Outreach Program. The I-20 Form will be needed to apply for a U.S. student visa through a U.S. embassy or consulate in the student's home country, a process that may require a month or more. Canadians do not need to obtain a U.S. student visa but will be required to present their I-20 Form at the border when entering the U.S. For most students there will also be an Express Mailing fee of $40 to receive at I-20 Form from the University of Washington. Instructions on how to apply for the I-20 Form will be provided by FHL staff to all international students following admission to an FHL course or apprenticeship. Once the I-20 Form has been issued by UW, all non-U.S. students, including Canadians, will also need to submit an application and $200 payment for the U.S. "SEVIS I-901" (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System).

Stacy Markman, FHL Student Coordinator, will communicate with all international students and will provide information about how to apply for an I-20 Form and a U.S. student visa (F-1) AFTER a student has been accepted for a course or apprenticeship at Friday Harobr Labs.

How can I learn more about Friday Harbor Laboratories?
Click here for other frequently asked questions.

For additional information, please contact FHL Student Coordinator, Stacy Markman at fhladmin@u.washington.edu or (206) 616-0753.