UW Front-end Technologies Community of Practice
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The UW Front-end Technologies Community of Practice meet on most first Fridays of the month at 10:00 a.m. See schedule below for particulars.
- Next meeting: Friday, February 2, 2018; 10:00 - 11:30; UW Tower, Visitor's Dining Room
Topic: Node.js - an overview and tutorial
- Friday, Mar 2, 2018; 10:00 - 11:30; UW Tower, Visitor's Dining Room
- No April meeting. We encourage members to participate in the March 13, 2018 UW Tech Connect conference instead.
- Friday, May 4, 2018; 10:00 - 11:30; UW Tower, Visitor's Dining Room
- Friday, June 1, 2018; 10:00 - 11:30; UW Tower, Visitor's Dining Room
Topic requests gathered from survey
Two highly requested topics throughout all of the suggested topics were:
- Responsive design and techniques
Also, throughout the topics below, requests were common for beginner information and UW best practices.
- Node / io js
- Client-side MVC apps and frameworks
- jQuery topics
- Evaluations of niche libraries (moment.js, resumable.js, etc)
- Ajax, JSON, API service integration, JS talking to web services to power client-side dynamic content/interaction
- Data visualization: D3, Leaflet
- Animation frameworks and techniques
- Game development
- New features in ECMAScript
- New things that can be done with CSS3 and HTML5 (practical application of bleeding edge standards and what is deprecated)
- CSS3 Animation
- HTML5 canvas and video tag
- HTML5 as a replacement to Flash
- SVG Animation
- Task automation and build steps, concatenating, minifying, cache-busting.
- Test automation, unit testing
- Code organization
- Performance and optimization, performance profiling
- UW branding standards for Web applications