The Cape Krusenstern project is looking for an undergraduate student hourly employee with GIS and Adobe Illustrator experience to help us out with some projects Winter Quarter.
Undergraduate Research Assistant: GIS/Adobe Illustrator Specialist
Cape Krusenstern Human-Environmental Dynamics Project
Salary/position type: $12/hour, part time UW student position
Appointment period: Winter Quarter 2011
Application due: Dec 15, 2010
The Cape Krusenstern Human-Environmental Dynamics Project is a multi-year interdisciplinary cooperative research project the focus of which is the investigation of human-environmental interactions recorded in archaeological and paleoenvironmental data sets spanning the mid-to-late Holocene in Northwest Alaska. More information about the project can be found at:
We are currently seeking a UW student with GIS and Adobe Illustrator skills to assist in project GIS tasks and technical illustration. The student’s primary tasks will be to assist the project GIS expert in writing metadata for archaeological spatial data generated during four years of fieldwork and creating maps for resource management purposes. In addition, the student will be scanning and digitizing technical drawings using Adobe Illustrator. Some document scanning may also be required. The student will work half time during winter quarter under the supervision of project leaders.
Required skills include:
* Experienced in the use of ESRI ArcGIS and Adobe Illustrator software
* Ability to write and edit metadata for GPS/GIS data
* Skilled at designing and creating ArcMap map layouts
* Familiarity with MS Office (including Word, Excel, and Access)
* Ability to take direction, to work independently, and to meet project
Preference will be given to applicants who have prior GIS and digital cartography/illustration experience.
To apply, submit the following as a single Adobe pdf file:
* A one page letter of interest detailing skills and previous experience pertinent to the job description
* An example of your previous work using ArcGIS software
* An example of your previous work using Adobe Illustrator
* A resume
* A list of three references and their contact information
Submit application electronically to Adam Freeburg (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Dec 15. Please contact Adam for additional information.