In this time of economic crisis, be a part of a movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers, raising the standards of service sector jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action.
With over 300,000 members in our International union, we are at the forefront of the battle for workers rights, immigration reform and living wages in North America. Across the United States and Canada, our members in the hotel industry are standing in solidarity to defend their standards against hotel corporations who are attempting to roll back hard-won decent wages, benefits and respect on the job. Additionally, non-union hotel workers are fighting for the right to organize free from management intimidation and retaliation. UNITE HERE’s membership is very diverse, comprised largely of immigrants and including high percentages of African-American, Latino, and Asian-American workers. In Washington, our union (Local 8) represents over 3,000 hospitality workers, including hotel workers in downtown Seattle, SeaTac, Tacoma, and Olympia. We are leading the fight to organize thousands of low-wage workers.
Position Available: Community Organizer
• Coordinate community and political outreach and mobilization while developing functioning and lasting coaltions with supporters and allies;
• Work under direction of local leadership to:
o Work with community to define and develop solutions/policy initiatives that will promote economic justice and encourage democratic participation in our communities;
o Oversee and run Union driven community campaigns on various social justice issues throughout the state;
o Oversee rank-and-file, intern and/or community volunteer mobilization in campaigns and implement strategies to win.
• Perform administrative tasks necessary to community organizing such as creating and monitoring a database of contacts within the community.
• Long hours and weekend work required. .
• Experience in organizing others, building unity among diverse groups and mobilizing others to take action.
• Ability to analyze key and timely community issues, and sensitive political situations.
• Ability to convene and facilitate meetings.
• Ability to work independently to plan and carry out goals and timetables while demonstrating a high level of proven leadership and judgment within the context of an overall plan and structure.
• Ability to communicate effectively in one-on-one and group settings, both verbally and in writing; proven presentation skills.
• Organizational and administrative skills as well as basic computer skills.
• Valid driver’s license and personal automobile.
• Foreign language stills preferred, Cantonese highly desirable.
The position is challenging and provides an opportunity for personal growth. This position is located in our downtown Seattle office and will involve assignments throughout Western Washington
Starting Salary: $33,000 per year
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, three references and salary history to:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: 206 728-9772
or mail to: UNITEHERE! LOCAL 8
ATTN: ERIK VAN ROSSUM, EXECUTIVE OFFICER
2800 1ST AVENUE #3
SEATTLE WA 98121