ClassNotesM.D. Alumni

All-School Reunion Weekend

It’s your reunion weekend.
Learn more at our website!

1950s | 1960s | 1970s |1980s | 1990s | 2000s

New job, award, move or family addition? Your classmates want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re doing. And take a minute to improve our residency records — use the “ClassNotes” function to confirm your specialty, location and year. The ClassNotes below were received through January 2011; any received afterward will appear in the next issue.

1950s

1951

The Class of 1951 celebrates its 60th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Frederick G. Hazeltine, M.D., Margaret H. Hazeltine, Barbara G. Sauntry, Anne H. Sola, Carol H. Simons, Doris H. Wilson, M.D.

John Gahringer, M.D., writes, “I retired in 1991 after 39 years in family practice enjoying small-town and rural practices in Wenatchee, Waterville, Odessa and East Wenatchee. For several years after that I worked in photography, specializing in black and white, doing darkroom work. When the digital revolution came along, the darkrooms all but disappeared, so I switched. I still do some work. About seven years ago, when I grew tired of 22 years of being single, I remarried and moved back to Odessa, where I felt comfortable. Naturally, I dropped my license as it would be too costly to maintain without a full practice. I have four children who are doing well and have brought forth 11 greatgrandchildren. One of my grandchildren just entered medical school this fall (UW, of course.) I will make a special effort to get to my 60th class reunion this June!”

1954

Thomas Brooks, M.D., writes, “Normally we go south this time of year, but we are enjoying winter in the Northwest. Retirement is fun, but I miss the patients.”

Robert Kraft, M.D., writes, “I just passed my twentieth year in retirement. I’m part of the minority that left the state, and I now live near San Francisco. I came from Puyallup to San Francisco to complete my training in pathology at the University of California. When I received my boards, I could not find work in western Washington, but had several offers here in California. It has been a perfect place to practice. I travel to Europe twice a year to follow my daughter, Angela Kraft Cross, M.D, an ophthalmologist and a world-class pipe organist. I had the chance to see Henry Kuharic, M.D., of the Class of 1954 on a recent trip to Seattle. He still looked beautiful to me after 56 years. I look forward to our 60th reunion in 2014. I hope we can all make it. Greetings to all of my classmates.”

1956

The Class of 1956 celebrates its 55th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Robert E. Carney, M.D., Niles D. Chapman, M.D., Douglas O. Corpron, M.D., Lloyd P. Johnson, M.D., John W. Kendall, Jr., M.D., Vernon O. Larson, M.D., Elizabeth Roberg Yingling, M.D.

1958

Lawrence Knight, M.D., and his wife, Kaye, continue to enjoy good health and travel. Knight recently retired after 20 years as chair of the Idaho Medical Association’s scholarship trust, which has made numerous awards to UW students. He is on the verge of total retirement from the UW/VA satellite program in Boise. The Knights are looking forward to the wedding of their oldest granddaughter (they have 12 grandchildren) and anticipate the 55th reunion in 2013.

1959

Leland Burnett, M.D., Res. ’63 (radiology), received the first gold medal awarded by the Washington State Radiologic Society (WSRC). Presented at the annual meeting of the society in Nov. 2010, the medal recognizes extensive service to the society and accomplishment in practice and education over the course of a career. Burnett, a department chief at Virginia Mason Hospital & Medical Center for 18 years, held many offices in the WSRC; he also was an elected councillor to the American College of Radiologists (ACR) for many years, including a dozen years of service on the ACR’s steering committee.

Burnett (center) is pictured with Dr. Bill Warren (left) and Dr. Phil Lund (right), two of his residents at Virginia Mason.

Sheldon Sidell, M.D., writes, “Shirley and I are doing quite well. We both have passed all of our tests with flying colors, going on two years. Shirley gave a talk at the Seattle Flower Show in February on her specialty, Flowers Mentioned in the Bible and Biblical Gardens, and will have another photography show at the UW Urban Horticultural Library in August. I will be busy interviewing Garfield High School students for college scholarships in April. We give out more than $60,000. It takes a couple of weeks to read their applications, and we interview up to 100 students. We are staying at home this year and will spend more time enjoying the sea from our Whidbey Island home. Hope to see everyone in June at the reunion weekend.”

Back to top

1960s

1961

The Class of 1961 celebrates its 50th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Edward E. Almquist, M.D., William M. Champion, M.D., Joseph Conrad Clifford, M.D., Rick L. Johnson, M.D., Sigvard T. Hansen, Jr., M.D., Ralph F. Kamm, M.D., Robert McAlister, M.D.

Kenneth L. Casey
Kenneth L. Casey

Kenneth L. Casey, M.D., sent a photograph as well as a warm “hello” to all his classmates.

Sigvard Hansen, Jr., M.D., Res. ’69 (orthopaedics), was honored at the first “Summit in Seattle” event, an international foot and ankle biomechanics conference held in October 2010.

1962

Harold (Chuck) George, M.D., writes that he is enjoying a very laid-back retirement and hopes to get to Seattle for the 60th reunion.

Robert Stern, M.D., retired in December 2007 and went to Palestine, teaching pathology single-handedly at the Palestine School of Medicine at Al-Quds University in East Jerusalem. He is now teaching pathology at the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York City to second-year medical students — he’s also started a new research laboratory. Stern’s laboratory discovered the hyaluronidase gene family in the human genome.

1964

Larry Hull, M.D., Res. ’73 (orthopaedics), received the Humanitarian of the Year Award at the 2010 meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in New Orleans, La.

1966

The Class of 1966 celebrates its 45th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Howard T. “Ted” Almquist, M.D., Marc T. Erickson, M.D., Howard Chris Halvorson, M.D., Edward D. Joneschild, M.D., Donald H. Mott, M.D., Charles A. Rohrmann, Jr., M.D., Richard W. Seaman, M.D.

1967

Robert Jeffers, M.D., writes, “Mary and I are living in downtown Edmonds; we’ve been retired since 2005. Our ninth grandchild just turned 1. We volunteer for a local multiple sclerosis project that refurbishes durable medical equipment for the needy and disabled as well as at the local food bank. Professionally, I review the OB malpractice claims for our physician-owned state liability carrier. Still jogging and playing more golf (but not any better).”

1968

Michael Theobald, M.D., writes, “I’m retired from general surgery, but work one day a week in an outpatient wound clinic. I also volunteer in the spring at the UW, assisting in the teaching of physical diagnosis to first-year medical students (fun!). Otherwise, I’m physically active, i.e., running, swimming, etc., and busy around the house (in the kitchen, garden, shop and garage), and with family at home and at gatherings and events. We all are privileged to be healthy and thriving.”

1969

Robert Arnold Johnson, M.D., writes, “After a career in cardiology (retired 2001), and a three-year stint as a novelist, I’ve re-trained in psychiatry and am enthused and happy about this new vocation. My practice utilizes my home as an office; the short commute to work is addicting. And possibly I’m not finished as a novelist. I remarried in 1989 to Susan Pickett, a violinist and professor of music at Whitman College. We are most happy together, and the friendship and support of three daughters from my first marriage, and the three (soon to be four) grandchildren they have given us, are terrific blessings to us both.”

Tomas Lagrelius, M.D., writes, “Hi, old friends. I’m still working, with no plans to retire. Pretty healthy, too, all things considered. No. 1 kid, Piper, is grown and married to an incredible guy and living in San Francisco, and they gave us a beautiful granddaughter named Ellen 14 months ago. Two younger kids, Mike and Kim, are still in college, one a senior, one a freshman. Patti and I live in Redondo Beach, Calif., and I practice in Torrance at www.skyparkpfc.com. My cell phone is 310.717.7127, and I’d love to hear from any of you anytime. The Class of 1969 was one of the greatest groups of guys and gals I ever had the honor of associating with. I hope and trust you are all doing well.”

Elizabeth Phillips (Kaufmann), M.D., writes, “I am still in a singlespecialty private group practice, doing hem-oncology with a subspecialty in breast cancer. In New York, at least, it is becoming almost impossible to support a private practice, no matter how hard one works. I’m wondering if others are finding it the same elsewhere? Love of my patients and of the rapidly evolving field keeps me going.”

Chuck Pilcher, M.D., was elected to the governing board of King County Public Hospital District No. 2 (Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, Wash.) in November 2009. Pilcher began his emergency practice in 1973 and retired in April 2010. He is finding being on the board a new challenge and an exciting way to continue to serve the community.

Back to top

1970s

1970

John Boyce, M.D., continues to serve as chief of the infectious diseases section and hospital epidemiologist at the Hospital of Saint Raphael in New Haven, Conn., and as clinical professor of medicine at Yale University School of Medicine. He has served as a temporary consultant to the World Health Organization Global Patient Safety Challenge since 2004. His professional interests include hand hygiene in health-care settings and hospital environmental cleaning and decontamination.

1971

The Class of 1971 celebrates its 40th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Stephen B. Anderson, M.D., James K. Avery, M.D., Michael D. Evans, M.D., Clyde H. Koontz, M.D., Bruce McDonald, M.D., Brian J. McMahon, M.D., Warren H. Toews, M.D.

David Notter, M.D. ’71

Globe-trotter David Notter, M.D. ’71

Seattle, Rochester, N.Y., San Francisco, Wenatchee, and too many other places to count — they’re all on the list of places that David Notter, M.D. ’71, has visited. He recently added another locale: Nepal.

Inspired by Thomas F. Hornbein, M.D., Int. ’57, one of his instructors and a legendary Mt. Everest mountaineer, Notter took a three-week trekking trip to Nepal’s Himalayan ranges with his son, Michael, in 2010. They hiked about 100 miles, circling most of the Annapurna massif in the 11-day process and reaching an elevation of 18,000 ft. (This wasn’t Notter’s first summit, by the way; he’s also climbed Mt. Rainier two times, Glacier Peak, Mt. Baker and Mt. Stuart — not bad for a guy with two artificial hips from congenital hip dysplasia.)

More globe-trotting awaits. Now retired, Notter and his wife, Patty, plan to tour Asia and Alaska in 2011.

1973

Christopher K. Varley, M.D., Res. ’78 (child psychiatry), presents on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) at the downtown Seattle Public Library on April 6, 2011. He is one of several faculty participating in the Medical Lecture Series, a joint project of UW Medicine and the library.

1974

James Felicetta, M.D., continues as chief of medicine at the Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center in Phoenix, Ariz., a position he has held since 1987. He is now the second-longest-serving chief of medicine in the entire VA system. He is also professor of clinical medicine at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He and his wife, Susan, and their five adopted children also enjoy their vacation home in Oxnard, Calif., — halfway between Malibu and Santa Barbara.

1975

David Bare, M.D., is currently serving as the medical director for a community health center in Spokane, Wash., with six clinics and 40 medical providers. He recently became regional dean for the College of Osteopathic Medicine in Yakima, Wash., (Pacific Northwest University), and, as part of a grant, is investigating how information technology can benefit chronic care with Inland Northwest Health Services.

Paul Williams, M.D., was awarded the Jerome Glaser Distinguished Service Award by the Section on Allergy and Immunology of the American Academy of Pediatrics in 2010.

1976

The Class of 1976 celebrates its 35th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Garrison H. Ayars, M.D., Robert A. Crittenden, M.D., MPH, James S. Edstam, M.D., MPH, Fredric N. Jackson, M.D.

Back to top

1980s

1980

Alan Smith
Alan Smith

Alan Smith, M.D., is a gastroenterologist in Wenatchee, Wash. He proudly models a t-shirt he bought from the Medical Student Association clothing sale. (Sales are announced at www.uwmedalumni.org.

1981

The Class of 1981 celebrates its 30th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

James M. Bingham, M.D., Janet S. Chinn Chu, M.D., Kathryn M. Larsen, M.D., Lauri M. Tadlock, M.D., Diana T. Yu, M.D.

1982

Barbara J. Doty, M.D., FAA FP, has been elected to a three-year term on the board of directors of the American Academy of Family Physicians. The AAFP represents 94,700 physicians and medical students nationwide.

Doris Mugrditchian, M.D., is living and working in Abu Dhabi. She also has a home in Seattle, where she hopes to settle in the coming years. She looks forward to reconnecting with her UW friends and colleagues and wishes them all the best for 2011!

Glen R. Stream, M.D., FAA FP, MBI, Res. ’85 (family medicine), is presidentelect of the American Academy of Family Physicians. As president-elect, Stream will advocate on behalf of family physicians and patients nationwide to inspire positive change in the U.S. health-care system.

1985

Yvonne D. Cagle, M.D. ’85Reaching for the Stars: Astronaut Yvonne D. Cagle, M.D. ’85

Yvonne D. Cagle, M.D. ’85, grew up in an Air Force family — her dad was an X-ray technician; her mother dealt with flight records. And when Cagle put herself through medical school, she turned to the Air Force for scholarship help. It was a momentous decision, one that led to a second career as an astronaut.

For a return on their investment, the Air Force required that Cagle serve in the military. In 1989, she volunteered to serve as a medical liaison officer for the shuttle Atlantis — preparing an alternate landing site in West Africa should the crew need rescue. This piqued her interest in becoming an astronaut, and, in 1996, she began a two-year training program at Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas.

Cagle hasn’t been to space — not yet. But she’s busy, acting as a science liaison between NASA, Google and other tech companies to foster NASA’s work in global mapping, sustainable energy and other initiatives.

Robert C. Wright, M.D., is celebrating his 21st year in practice — 10 of those years as the owner of ASC-Meridian Surgery Center — in Puyallup, Wash. A new center is scheduled to open in March. Wright has published several papers and is currently working on a hernia abstract. For more information or to contact him, visit www.robertwrightmd. com.

1986

The Class of 1986 celebrates its 25th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Peter C. Esselman, M.D., Kim Gittere- Abson, M.D., Richard R. Gould, M.D., Gretchen M. Lentz, M.D., Dorcas Ann (Dori) McLennan, M.D., Marion L. Snowden, M.D.

Michael Schultz, M.D., spent six years at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, Pa., serving as medical director of kidney, liver and pancreas transplantation and director of the nephrology fellowship. He was elected in 2010 to the Training Program Directors’ Executive Committee of the American Society of Nephrology. Schultz writes, “Ginger and I traveled to Dubai and Abu Dhabi during the winter holidays — a fantastic time!”

1987

C. James Scheurich, M.D., moved to Tacoma, Wash., in November to join Madigan Army Medical Center in the department of gastroenterology.

1988

Scott Tyler, M.D., Res. ’91 (family medicine), has been named to the advisory board of the University of Washington’s NACOE (Native American Center of Excellence). The center helps prepare medical students to provide culturally appropriate care.

1989

Mark A. Malakooti, M.D., is still serving in the Navy, now as a preventive medicine and public health physician for activities in Africa. He is enjoying living with his family in Naples, Italy, and wondering what to do next.

Back to top

1990s

1990

Ali Afrassiabi, M.D., writes, “I wish all my classmates a happy 2011. I know that we all have been hit hard by the economy, so I am going to re-start a Tshirt sale for the E-86 class. Call me (just kidding)! Hope to see more than two of us at the next reunion.”

1991

The Class of 1991 celebrates its 20th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Rachel Bramson, M.D., M.S., Christopher J. Covert-Bowlds, M.D., Danial O. Laird, M.D., J.D.

1994

Francis Geissler, M.D., Ph.D., has been practicing ophthalmology in the Tacoma-Olympia area for the last 10 years.

1995

Mary Barinaga, M.D., Res. ’98 (family medicine), was appointed the assistant clinical dean for the Idaho WWAMI program in October 2010. For the past 12 years, Barinaga has been practicing rural family medicine on the Coeur d’Alene Indian Reservation in Plummer, Idaho, teaching medical students and family medicine residents, and serving as a mentor for students involved in the Underserved Pathways program at the UW School of Medicine.

1996

The Class of 1996 celebrates its 15th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

1998

Steven Sohn, M.D., and his wife, Jennifer, welcomed their second child on Jan. 4, 2011. Silvia Sohn weighed in at 7 lbs., 4 oz.

Silvia Sohn

Silvia Sohn

Back to top

2000s

2000

Lee Ann Muzquiz, M.D., has been named to the advisory board of the University of Washington’s NACOE (Native American Center of Excellence). The center helps prepare medical students to provide culturally appropriate care.

2001

The Class of 2001 celebrates its 10th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Carrie D. Chun, M.D., Sascha Dublin, Ph.D. ’99, M.D., Roy D. Lowenstein, M.D., Kara J. Mitchell, M.D., Gita S. Reddy, M.D., Kerrie J. Spoonemore, M.D., Alana Y. Stubbs, M.D.

2002

Elliott Sohn, M.D., Res. ’07 (ophthalmology), just moved to Iowa City to join the medical faculty at the University of Iowa. Sohn writes, “Great to be busy seeing patients, teaching and doing research with some excellent colleagues. If you’re ever in Iowa or Chicago, drop me a line!”

2003

Kim Cunningham-Hartwig, M.D., has been named to the advisory board of the University of Washington’s NACOE (Native American Center of Excellence). The center helps prepare medical students to provide culturally appropriate care.

2004

Dionne Gallagher, M.D., completed an OB-GYN residency at the University of Colorado in Denver, Colo., in 2008, received OB-GYN board certification in December 2010, and is currently working for the Women’s Health Group doing primary OB-GYN. She has been married to Sean Gallagher since 2001 and has two children: Estella (4) and Brogan (20 months).

2006

The Class of 2006 celebrates its 5th reunion at the 11th Annual All-School Reunion Weekend, June 3–4, 2011. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee — listed below in italics — please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Jervis J. Belarmino, M.D., Frank A. Cipriano, M.D., Ardeshir A. “Adi” Dabestani, M.D., Alison D. Dragnich, M.D., Katherine R. Gentry, M.D., Alison M. Granier, M.D., Jessica Kennedy-Schlicher, M.D., Erin S. O’Connor, M.D., Helena B. Pasieka, M.D., Nathaniel Schlicher, M.D., Jasmine K. Zia, M.D.

Jennifer S. (Schultz) Anderson, M.D., Ph.D., writes, “I am currently in North Carolina, completing a cardiology fellowship. I would love to hear updates about my classmates. As for me, I am married and now have two small boys (7+ weeks old and 21 months old, respectively).

Frank Cipriano, M.D., finished his pediatric residency and is practicing as a pediatric hospitalist in San Francisco, Calif. He married Sarah Dixon, M.D., in October 2008. (They met at UCSF when he was a resident and she was a medical student.) He looks forward to seeing his classmates at the reunion in June.

Alison Granier, M.D., writes, “We are thrilled to be back in the Northwest after some fun Northern California adventures! It was an eventful year; we welcomed our son, Samuel Chisholm Granier, last spring and joined the North Idaho Eye Institute in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, this fall. It has been great being back in close proximity to many of our friends and family! Hope everyone is doing well. Keep in touch!”

Nathaniel Schlicher, M.D., and his wife, Jessica Kennedy-Schlicher, M.D., welcomed Juliette Elizabeth Schlicher, pictured below, on Dec. 27, 2010, at 8 lbs., 12 oz., and 20 inches.

Juliette Elizabeth Schlicher

Juliette Elizabeth Schlicher

Jody Hunt Tate, M.D., writes, “My husband is Jonathan Tate, an internal medicine M.D. We are expecting a baby girl in April, and I will finish my pulmonary-critical care fellowship in June 2012.”

2007

Robert Amrine, M.D., is currently halfway through a primary-care sports medicine fellowship in Boise, Idaho. He accepted a job in Missoula, Mont., at the Western Montana Clinic, where he will start a primary-care sports medicine practice. Amrine was born in Missoula, and returning home was very important to him. He hopes to teach UW Medicine’s students, some of whom rotate through Missoula as part of their clinical education.

Christopher Geidt, M.D., and Gemma O’Keeffe, M.D., had one child during their fourth year of medical school and another child in their third year of residency. O’Keefe writes, “We have lots of suggestions on how to make double residency/parenting work (or, rather, not work)!”

Benjamin G. Vazquez, M.D. ’07

Benjamin G. Vazquez, M.D. ’07, sent in a photo from his work in Ghana.

2010

Sunil Aggarwal, M.D., writes, “Since graduating in June 2010, I have completed over half of my internship in medicine at Virginia Mason Medical Center, which I have found to be a unique and servicesavvy work environment. I am looking to move for PGY-2 to New York University to start my residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation. This year, I have had an oral abstract based on a law review piece I wrote accepted for a symposium on cannabinoid medicine at the American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, and I have been invited to write a textbook chapter on cannabinoids for a pain medicine book being published by the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.”

Elise Pletnikoff, M.D., has been named to the advisory board of the University of Washington’s NACOE (Native American Center of Excellence). The center helps prepare medical students to provide culturally appropriate care.

Back to top

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington