ClassNotesM.D. Alumni

1950s | 1960s | 1970s |1980s | 1990s | 2000s

New job, award, move or family addition? A volunteer or service learning experience you’d like to share? Your classmates want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re doing. And take a minute to improve our residency records — use the “ClassNotes” function to confirm your specialty, location and year.

The ClassNotes below were received through August 2012; any received afterward will appear in the next issue.

1950s

1953

The Class of 1953 celebrates its 60th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Eugene F. Moore, M.D., and Judy Baskey were happily married in Seattle in the summer of 2011 after traveling around the world while working on a small cruise ship. Both are in good health and enjoying life. Moore, still working part-time locums in Hawaii, in Washington and on cruise ships, is currently splitting his year between Hawaii and Seattle.

1955

Alan L. W. Gunsul, M.D., attended the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London. He’s especially interested in track and field, and this was his 11th trip to the summer games.

William E. Morton, M.D., writes, “Our great news this year is that our grandson, Jacob Morton, will be attending the University of Washington and has been recruited to the crew program to row for UW. So we will be spending more time on campus in the next few years. We were sorry to miss the June events but hope to rekindle the friendships next year.”

1957

Grace F. Holmes, M.D., and Frederick F. Holmes, M.D., have published Tumbili, a medical mystery set in Tanganyika in the early 1960s under the nom de plume Anne Miller Johnson, M.D.

1958

The Class of 1958 celebrates its 55th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Richard H. Parker, M.D., writes, “Since I left the UW, I have completed 25 years of activity in academic medicine, achieving the position of associate professor of medicine and spending more than 25 years in private practice. I am still practicing medicine as director of primary care and HIV medicine at a community clinic in D.C., plus part-time private practice. Work obligations prevented me from attending the 50th reunion of my class, but I am planning to attend the 55th next year. Photography and travel with my wife of 28 years constitute my main non-professional activities. I am blessed with three children and four grandchildren. My youngest son is currently a resident of Seattle, serving as a U.S. Navy officer stationed at Bremerton Navy Yard.”

Helen Routous Rockas, M.D., writes, “After several decades of graduating from the great UW School of Medicine — in 1958, to be exact— it is time to give back to the elderly. So I have given up my pediatric interest to aid my peers. Retirement homes have invited me (because I told them I am available) to help them learn about prevention of stroke, heart attacks, and all health issues the elderly are concerned with. If anyone wants my expertise, contact me!” Rockas is also writing her autobiography, enjoying retirement with her husband, Chris, and looking forward to seeing classmates next year at the 55th reunion.

Back to top

1960s

1961

William H. Foege, M.D., received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from the President of the United States — the highest civilian award in the United States. In addition, he was honored at Helen Keller International’s “Spirit of Helen Keller” gala in May. Credited with devising the global strategy that led to the eradication of smallpox in the late 1970s, Foege is a leader in public health.

1962

Frank I. Backus, M.D.’s son Eric works as an electrical engineer for Agilent Technologies. His daughter, Anne, is raising two teenage daughters in Bend, Ore. His son Mark, an internist, is raising three young children in the same community.

After 43 years in the same house in Seattle, Phil Braden, M.D., and his wife, Lois, moved to the Mirabella, a wonderful retirement community in Seattle, half a mile from downtown and the lake. He is able to walk to many locations, has lots to do and has made a number of new friends. Braden continues to share a weekly bible study with Kirk Douglass, M.D. ’57, and Denny Reichenbach, M.D. ’58.

Sharon S. Bintliff, M.D., FACP, has published a book of poetry, Soular Energy, inspired by and dedicated to her only grandchild, Ileiana, who died of cancer in 2005. All proceeds are donated to Camp Anuenue, a summer camp in Hawaii for children with cancer. She also writes, “Aloha, Class of 1962. I am so disappointed that I was not able to attend the reunion, but several other commitments had been made. As for what is going on with me, the most exciting thing right now is getting pumped up and training to paddle in the World Sprints in Calgary, Canada, in August. We have a six-woman crew, all over 70 years of age. WOW!! We are the TOB (Tough Old Broads), and we are really excited. As for work, my friend and I still have the Resort Docs, a business that makes house calls to all the fancy hotels here on the Kohala Coast on the big island. I meet some nice people and deliver a service that is greatly appreciated. Hawaii is still paradise, and I continue to surf. Not the big ones, but Mother O takes care of me. I am playing lots of golf, biking and trying to stay fit.”

William E. Hardy, M.D., is enjoying the good life in Arizona, in the “valley of the sun” with Alice, his wife of 48 years.

1963

The Class of 1963 celebrates its 50th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Richard Honsinger, M.D., Res. ’68 (internal medicine), received the annual leadership award from the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Honsinger is president-elect of the Joint Council of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, representative to the Council of Subspecialties and a member of the FDA’s pulmonary advisory panel. He practices allergy-immunology in Los Alamos and Santa Fe, N.M., where he and his wife, Marian, raised five children. They now have 12 grandchildren.

1965

Raymond E. Vath, M.D., Res. ’69 (psychiatry and behavioral sciences), writes, “I have been promoted to associate professor emeritus by the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences for my work with MEDEX, Mercy Corps, the U.S. Foundation and the UW Medicine Alumni Association. Letters from Tom Norris, Fel. ’89 (family medicine) and Peter Roy-Byrne were very helpful. I could not have had the successes I have had without the preparation I received from the UW School of Medicine. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give back to the university.” Read about Vath’s family.

1967

John R. Kearns, M.D., Res. ’69 (general surgery) writes, “Hello, Class of ’67 – Forrest, Hecht, Ruby, Jones, Jeffers, Killien and others. I am still practicing orthopedics in Minnesota full time and enjoying it. I think of all you guys often and hope that you are all doing well. We had a great class with outstanding graduates, so let us be proud of our accomplishments. Hear, hear to the Class of 1967!”

Jeannette M. Moulthrop, M.D., retired on Jan. 1, 2012. She plans to pursue her passion for photography. Moulthrop and her recently retired husband like to explore national parks where photography opportunities abound.

1968

The Class of 1968 celebrates its 45th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

1969

William J. Bremner, M.D., Res. ’72 (internal medicine), Ph.D., the chair of the Department of Medicine at UW Medicine, was honored for academic excellence at the 2011 UW Medicine Distinguished Faculty Celebration.

Back to top

1970s

1970

Kaj H. Johansen, M.D., Ph.D., has been elected to a two-year term as chief of vascular surgery at Swedish Medical Center. He is a clinical professor of surgery at UW Medicine, a nationally known vascular specialist and surgical educator, and recognized for consultative assistance provided to colleagues in remote and rural areas. After graduating from the UW, he completed his surgery training and earned a Ph.D. in physiology/ pharmacology at the University of California, San Diego in 1978.

1972

John H. Newsom, M.D., continues his membership-based family medicine practice in Yardley, Pa. He was recently selected as president-elect of the 747-member medical staff at St. Mary Medical Center in Langhorne, Pa.

1973

The Class of 1973 celebrates its 40th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

1974

Stuart J. Farber, M.D., has been promoted to professor in UW Medicine’s Department of Family Medicine.

1975

William R. Phillips, M.D., Res. ’78 (family medicine), MPH, UW professor in family medicine, has been appointed to an expert advisory panel at the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. The related study will be managed by the Center for Evidencebased Policy at Oregon Health & Science University.

1976

Francis K. Spain, M.D.
Excellence rewarded:
Francis K. Spain, M.D.

Francis K. Spain, M.D., is the 2012 recipient of the Idaho WWAMI Alumni Award for Excellence in mentoring, teaching, leadership and patient care. Spain is a member of the first WWAMI Idaho class of 1972 (entering class). He is a longtime advocate for medical education in Idaho.

1977

Joan and Phillip C. Cory, M.D.
Announcing a new book:
Joan and Phillip C. Cory, M.D.

Phillip C. Cory, M.D., writes, “After completing an anesthesiology residency in Seattle, I went into private practice in Great Falls, Mont., for three years. But the research bug led Joan and me to join the faculty at Penn State University for a few years. The urge to academia is curable, however, and we returned to Bozeman, Mont., in 1990, where Joan joined the faculty at MSU. I was in private practice in anesthesiology-pain management until 2009, and helped to found Nervonix, Inc., an R&D company working on impedance neurography and nerve stimulation technologies, in 1991. I have retired from active practice, doing biomedical consulting, developing a few hybrid grape varieties that I hope will grow (survive? flourish?) in the Rocky Mountains. If they produce good wine, that’ll be even better. The photo shows the two of us (I’m the one with less hair) last summer. I’ve also just published a work of fiction, Titanea, in the sci-fi/ fantasy/adventure genre. I hope you’ll take a peek, if interested.”

1978

The Class of 1978 celebrates its 35th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

1979

Cynthia L. Clinkingbeard, M.D., writes, “1979 seems so long ago. We have been physicians for more than 30 years. I took a medical retirement in 2005, and in 2009, I completed a public health master’s at Boise State. It is officially an MHS due to Idaho educational politics, but I focused on research and took all the classes for the equivalent degree (the official MPH) from Idaho State University. Susan, the love of my life, and I got married in Connecticut two years ago and live together with Taylor, my 19-year-old son and his wonderful girlfriend, Amara. We live on a two-acre production farm, grow most of our own food, including eggs, chickens, lambs, ducks, Thanksgiving turkeys and tons of fresh vegetables and herbs. We are a state-registered goat dairy and eagerly await our baby goats. Our life is good — blessed, really. I am also running for Congress in Idaho’s first district.”

Brad Henley, M.D., UW professor in orthopaedics and sports medicine, has been appointed to the board of directors of the Washington State Orthopaedic Association, representing his department.

After nearly 30 years of practice, 11 on the faculty and seven years as Group Health Family Medicine program director, Sara D. Thompson, M.D., has announced her retirement.

Back to top

1980s

1982

Judith A. Jacobsen, M.D., writes, “I was very blessed to take a recent fivemonth sabbatical and travel around the world. There was so much to learn! Now back to my surgical assisting business, which I love!”

1983

The Class of 1983 celebrates its 30th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

1986

Anthony D. Loebel, M.D., was recently appointed chief medical officer for Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, the U.S subsidiary of a leading Japanese pharmaceutical company called Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma.

1987

Jay L. Larson, M.D., FACP, is the governor of the Montana Chapter of the American College of Physicians (ACP), the national organization of internists. A resident of Clancy, Mont., Larson is currently a private-practice physician at South Hills Internal Medicine Associates; in 2008, he received laureate and key contact awards from the ACP.

Wayne C. Liles, M.D., Ph.D., has been named associate chair for research in UW Medicine’s Department of Medicine.

1988

The Class of 1988 celebrates its 25th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Frederick S. Buckner, M.D., has been promoted to professor in UW Medicine’s Department of Medicine.

Dawn Wyllie, M.D. ’85Meet the Admiral: Dawn Wyllie, M.D. ’85

Dawn Wyllie, M.D., ’85, MPH, FAAFP, is a medical officer in the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) assigned to the Indian Health Service (IHS) in Bemidji, Minn. Recently promoted from captain to the flag rank of rear admiral, Wyllie — the regional deputy area director/chief medical officer for the Bemidji-Area IHS — could also fairly be called the USPHS’s unofficial ambassador. She’s passionate and enthusiastic about her job, and she wants you to join her!

Of Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate (Dakota) American Indian heritage, Wyllie grew up in the Mission District in San Francisco and on the California-Oregon coastal border. At UW Medicine, she gained exposure to medical care for Native populations at the Seattle Indian Health Board and the Alaska Native Medical Center, among other learning sites. Today, she oversees work related to providing public health and medical leadership for a region that serves 34 tribes, four urban programs, and about 120,000 beneficiaries in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, upper Indiana and Illinois. In addition to being a family physician and an expert on Indian healthcare, Wyllie also is board-certified in addiction medicine and is addressing the epidemic of prescription drug abuse and diversion.

A single parent of two adopted sons, now young adults, and a mentor of three students currently in medical school, Wyllie says, “I’m blessed to have taken a career path that I enjoy and where I know I’m making a difference.”

Interested in Wyllie’s career path? Contact her at dawn.wyllie@ihs.gov, visit the USPHS at usphs.gov, or learn more about the Indian Health Service at ihs.gov.

Back to top

1990s

1993

The Class of 1993 celebrates its 20th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Elizabeth Swisher, M.D., has been promoted to professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Stephanie G. Wheeler, M.D., Res. ’96 (internal medicine), has been promoted to associate professor in the Department of Medicine at UW Medicine.

1994

Gwenn A. Garden, M.D., Ph.D., has been promoted to professor in UW Medicine’s Department of Neurological Surgery.

1995

Lisa K. McIntyre, M.D., Res. (general surgery), Fel. ’03, has been promoted to associate professor in UW Medicine’s Department of Surgery.

1997

Paolo F. Gerbasi, M.D., was honored with a Teacher of the Year Award at the WWAMI Teacher Appreciation and WWAMI 40th Anniversary celebration in Billings, Mont.

1998

The Class of 1998 celebrates its 15th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Heidi L. Crane, M.D., has been promoted to associate professor in UW Medicine’s Department of Medicine.

Grant S. Scull, M.D., joined the faculty of Group Health Family Medicine as the new associate director and medical clinic chief in January.

1999

Melissa M. Hagman, M.D., Res. ’02 (internal medicine), and Jennifer M. Specht, M.D., Res. ’02 (internal medicine), Fel. ’05, have been promoted to associate professor in UW Medicine’s Department of Medicine.

Ryan C. Maves, M.D., has been deployed for the past six-and-a-half months to the NATO Role 3 Multinational Medical Unit in Kandahar, Afghanistan. A “Role 3” hospital is a larger traumareceiving hospital with fully equipped operating rooms, CT scanners, an ICU and a ward. He writes, “I’m working here as an internist-hospitalist while doing a bit of ID consultation when needed. We take care of U.S. and NATO troops injured in combat, as well as Afghan soldiers and civilians hurt in the ongoing fighting — often grim, but definitely rewarding work. I should be returning home in September, back to San Diego, where my wife, Robin, has been alone with our three kids — Astrid (9), Robby (7), Jonny (6) — since January when I left for training. Hope my classmates are doing well.”

Back to top

2000s

2000

Rachel E. Thompson, M.D., Res. ’03 (internal medicine), has been promoted to associate professor in UW Medicine’s Department of Medicine.

2002

Rod Story, M.D, writes, “I’ve been working at Pullman Regional Hospital as a hospitalist since 2009. Jenny and I enjoy living on the Palouse in Moscow, Idaho. We’re up to nine kids, ages eight months to 16. Life is good!”

2003

The Class of 2003 celebrates its 10th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

2004

Celine R. Gounder, M.D., accepted a new position in April as an assistant commissioner and director for the Bureau of Tuberculosis Control at the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

2006

The WWAMI-Wyoming Program saluted Kathleen A. Hannifan, M.D., Res. ’09 (pediatrics), for her outstanding efforts as a preceptor for first-year medical students in Laramie, Wyo.

2007

Melissa Molsee, M.D., and her husband, Ethan, welcomed their third son, Aden Charles, on May 21. He weighed nine pounds, measured 19.5 inches and is a healthy, contented baby. Their two older boys, Aaron (5) and Elias (2, almost 3) are doing well. The Molsees are preparing to live and work at a mission hospital in Togo, West Africa. They leave for France at the end of December to learn French; then they will travel to Togo. They plan to return to the U.S. for a year every four years.

2008

The Class of 2008 celebrates its 5th reunion at the 2012 Reunion Weekend, May 31–June 1, 2013. Please mark your calendar. If you’d like to join the reunion committee, please contact UW Medicine Alumni Relations at medalum@uw.edu.

Andrew J. Cowan, M.D., spent a year working as a fellow in the Amyloid Treatment and Research Program at Boston University, one of the main referral centers for this disease in the U.S. In May 2012, he presented his research at the 13th International Amyloid Symposium in Groningen, the Netherlands.

Abby K. Furukawa (formerly Parsons), M.D., graduated from Oregon Health & Science University’s (OHSU’s) ob-gyn program in June and has accepted a position in Portland, Ore., with Portland Obstetrics and Gynecology Associates. Although joining a private practice group, she anticipates that she will continue to pursue regular and frequent interactions and teaching opportunities with OHSU medical students and residents.

Andrew M. Rose, M.D., and Sadie M. West, M.D., have joined the Cheyenne Children’s Clinic in Wyoming. Rose and West are members of the 2004 entering WWAMI-Wyoming class and completed residencies in general pediatrics at Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. Both will practice general pediatrics.

The Filmmaker: Sean F. Ackerman, M.D. ’10

Writer/director/producer/doctor Sean Ackerman shot his latest film on Amelia Island, Fla.

His day job: a medical resident in child psychiatry in Burlington, Vt. His not-so-secret “secret” job: a filmmaker with ties to Hollywood. Who is this mysterious and multi-talented man? It’s Sean Ackerman, M.D. ’10.

While studying film at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, Ackerman exercised the left side of his brain by reading science books like Gray’s Anatomy. He received a B.A. in fine arts in 2001, and he went on to write and direct his first movie, Straight Line, in 2005. Although the movie was successful, Ackerman wanted his life to make a bigger, more humanitarian mark. So he came to school at UW Medicine, where he spent his entire third year in the Missoula track in Montana. After graduating in 2010, Ackerman made his next film, an independent titled The Diary of Preston Plummer, released in 2012. The movie played in theaters in several cities and is now available at various sites for digital download. Meanwhile, Ackerman is back to practicing medicine — with the goal of making a movie every decade or so. See more at thediaryofprestonplummer.com.

Back to top

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington