A BIG “HELLO!”New alumni president asks you to stay connected

Photo: Sarah Rothschild

In the summer of 1991, I entered medical school and was drafted to spend my first year in Pullman, Wash. I was initially reluctant to leave Seattle, but in the end, it was a fabulous start to an incredible education. The WWAMI program has since gone on to add a “W” for Wyoming, it just celebrated its 40th birthday, and it is one of the many aspects of UW Medicine that make me proud to be a Husky graduate.

I am honored to serve the next two years as your alumni association president, and I’m joined by another new arrival: Sarah Brown Rothschild, our director for alumni relations. Together, we ask you to get involved — help us learn more about you, what we can do for you as an alumni association, and how we can become a part of your daily life. The UW Medicine Alumni Association Task Force, explained on page 23, was formed to gather just this sort of feedback from you. I hope to connect with all of you, too: through Facebook, email or alumni events with students.

Finally, I’d like to recognize two important people: the first is Annie Pontrelli, who served for nearly 12 years as our alumni director. Her warmth and her expertise were put to tremendously good use in building relationships among our members. I’d also like to recognize Trish A. Raymer, M.D. ’89, Res. ’92, who recently completed her term as our president. Both Trish and Annie have done a great deal for the alumni association, and they have my deepest thanks.

Angela J. Chien, M.D. ’95
President , UW Medicine Alumni Association
achien@obdoc.com

The UW Medicine Alumni Association’s Mission Statement

1. Support the UW School of Medicine in the fulfillment of its mission, serving as diplomats and advocates in the communities where medical alumni live and work.
  2. Provide support for students, residents and fellows at the School of Medicine through programs, scholarships, fellowships and financial contributions.
  3. Establish and maintain a sense of unity among alumni.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington