CLASSNOTES

1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2000s | 2010–today

New job, award, move or family addition? Your classmates want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re doing.

The ClassNotes below were received through September 2013; any received afterward will appear in the next issue.

William C. Conrad, M.D. ’61, writes, “I have spent more than 20 years as founder of GANSU, Inc., a not-for-profit organization. Our teams have performed more than 6,000 free cataract surgeries in rural west China (Gansue Province) in pop-up camping tents.”

Rick Lane Johnson, M.D. ’61, Res. ’64 (internal medicine), writes, “I practiced internal medicine (allergy) from 1967 to 2002 and then retired. I worked for Swedish Medical Center on First Hill. I was the president of the Washington State Medical Association and the Seattle Academy of Internal Medicine; I was also board chair of Physicians Insurance and a clinical professor of medicine (allergy) at the University of Washington.”

Irene R. McEwen

Irene R. McEwen, P.T. 61, DPT, Ph.D., FAPTA, George Lynn Cross Research Professor Emeritus of Rehabilitation Sciences, recently retired after 23 years at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City. At the center, she held the Ann Taylor Chair in Pediatrics and Developmental Disabilities in Physical Therapy, was director of the Lee Mitchener Tolbert Center for Developmental Disabilities, and directed the post-professional graduate program. She returned to Washington and now lives in Redmond, where she continues to teach online courses.

M. Moreno Robins, M.D., Res. ’61, writes, “In 2011, I received the Lifetime Achievement Hero Award from the American Red Cross in Provo, Utah. I also volunteer with the Boy Scouts.”

Marvin E. Ament, M.D., Res. ’65 (pediatrics), Fel. ’73 (gastroenterology), writes, “I became a professor emeritus in pediatrics at the UCLA School of Medicine in 2010. Since 2010, I have served as the medical director and chief of pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition at Central California Children’s Hospital and Medical Center in Madera, Calif.”

David W. Lewis, M.D. ’66, writes, “After 40 years of OB-GYN at San Dimas Medical Group with nine partners and more than 9,000 deliveries, I retired and moved to Carlsbad, Calif., to be near my grandchildren.”

John R. Kearns, M.D. ’67, writes, “I am still practicing orthopedics in Minneapolis. Our family is doing well, and we enjoy skiing on the water and in snow. I love hearing from classmates and look forward to the reunion. Hopefully we can make it this time.”

Rainer Storb, M.D., Fel. ’68 (hematology), UW professor of medicine in the Division of Medical Oncology and member of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, was honored as a 2013 Leader in Health Care by Seattle Business Magazine; he won their medical research award.

R. Bradley Global Health Pioneer:
R. Bradley “Brad” Sack, M.D., Sc.D., Res. ’65 (internal medicine)

When Bradley Sack was five, his grandmother told him he was going to be a doctor. And she was right. A graduate of the University of Oregon and UW Medicine, Sack found his calling in Calcutta (now Kolkata), India, in the early 1960s: helping people recover from dehydration-related diseases like diarrhea.

Sack and his colleagues developed oral rehydration therapy (ORT), now the World Health Organization’s treatment of choice for dehydration-related diarrhea, much of it caused by contaminated drinking water and poor sanitation. In India, Sack also discovered enterotoxigenic E. coli, a major contributor to diarrheal disease in the developing world.

“The biggest challenge was convincing the global medical community to use ORT,” Sack says. Now a professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Sacks and his colleagues are studying cholera in Bangladesh to determine how to predict outbreaks of the disease.

Thomas C. Wood, M.D., Res. ’68 (internal medicine), Fel. ’71 (nephrology), writes, “I volunteer at the Community Health Clinic and teach medical ethics courses to third-year students. I am a medical director with the Anchorage Access Project.”

H. Glenn Bell, Jr., M.D., Res. ’69 (radiology), writes, “I’ve retired, but still traveling — getting old is for the birds!”

Craig E. Duncan, M.D. ’69, writes, “I retired from psychiatry practice nine years ago. I’ve been married for 42 years and have no kids. We’re doing well in Ventura, Calif. I travel a lot and have become an avid antique and fine art collector. This has been my avocation for many years…Our medical school has thrived, and it has served us well. I still remember some of the hilarity; once we went on strike about exams.” [Editor’s note: Dr. Duncan noted that he was interested in the Class of 1969’s accomplishments, and we welcome him — and the rest of the Class of 1969 — to the 2014 Reunion Weekend, June 6 –7, 2014. It’s a great time to exchange stories and reminiscences.]

Allen Wyler, M.D. ’69, has been nominated for two Best E-Book Original Novel awards by International Thriller Writers, Inc., for his books: Dead Wrong, which takes place in Seattle, and Dead End Deal, which takes place on the UW campus.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington