CLASSNOTES

1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2000s | 2010–today

New job, award, move or family addition? Your classmates want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re doing.

The ClassNotes below were received through September 2013; any received afterward will appear in the next issue.

Roberta Bulger, M.D. ’70, and her husband, Randy Bulger, M.D. ’73, retired in September 2013.

S. Carole Burnham, M.D. ’70, writes, “I am retired and enjoying children, grandchildren, travel and tennis.”

Charles W. Maas, M.D., Res. ’70 (pediatrics), writes, “I am practicing child psychiatry on a part-time basis. Our family now includes 10 grandchildren.”

Roger Mattison, M.D., Res. ’70 (pediatrics), Fel. ’73 (otolaryngology– head and neck surgery), writes, “I’ve retired after 25 years in the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Colorado, and I now spend time sailing and cycling.”

Raymond J. Mikelionis, M.D. ’70, writes, “I currently own a family practice clinic and teach medical and PA students with UC Davis School of Medicine. I am the past chairman of the Department of Family Medicine at Sutter Roseville Medical Center.”

Christine M. Gray, O.T. ’71, writes, “I retired after 30 years in the Lake Washington School District, where I worked as an occupational therapist and technology administrator.”

John D. Wilkinson, M.D. ’71, writes, “I’m retired and writing poems and a memoir to clear my mind for future acuity.”

Sureyya S. Dikmen, Res. ’72 (psychiatry/behavioral sciences), Ph.D., and Joanie Machamer were co-authors on the paper, “A trial of intracranial pressure monitoring in traumatic brain injury,” funded by the National Institutes of Health and published in The New England Journal of Medicine. Randall M. Chesnut, M.D. ’84, intern ’84–’85, UW professor in the Department of Neurological Surgery, was the study’s principal investigator. The results of this paper are expected to have a dramatic impact on care for traumatic brain injury.

Milton T. English III, M.D., Res. ’72 (internal medicine), Chief Res. ’73 (internal medicine), Fel. ’75 (cardiology), writes, “I’m still practicing interventional cardiology in Seattle.”

Charles R. Donau, PA-C (Seattle Class 3) (1972), writes, “I own and manage a family medicine urgent care center and continue to practice as a PA.”

Roger Grayson, PA-C (Seattle Class 2) (1972), writes, “I work for Group Health in the general surgery department.”

Janet M. Powell, B.S. ’73 (occupational therapy), M.S. ’98 (rehabilitation medicine), Ph.D. ’01, UW associate professor and a division head in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, received an American Occupational Therapy Foundation Leadership Service Commendation.

John Adkison, M.D. ’74, is the immediate past president of the Washington State Orthopedic Association and the president elect of the Yakima chapter. He will attend the Rotary International Convention in Sydney, Australia, in June 2014.

Juliette Engel

Juliette Engel, M.D. ’74, Res. ’75 (internal medicine), Res. ’78 (diagnostic radiology), received the UW School of Medicine’s Humanitarian Alumni Award in 2013 for her work to eliminate human trafficking (see page 32). She was a UW assistant professor and director of diagnostic ultrasound when she sold her medical practice in Bellevue, Wash., and founded the MiriMed Institute in Russia in 1992. Engel also welcomed her first grandson, Reggie, in June.

Neil L. Nemec, M.D. ’75, Res. ’77, writes, “I was recently elected to a position on the Kootenai Hospital District’s board of trustees. I retired in October 2013 from practice and continue as president of North Idaho Family Physicians IPA.”

William R. Phillips, M.D. ’75, Res. ’78 (family medicine), MPH, has been appointed to the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. He is the Theodore J. Phillips Endowed Professor in Family Medicine at UW Medicine.

T. Chris Price

T. Chris Price, M.D., ’75, writes, “I’ve been practicing emergency medicine for the last 32 years in Mesa, Ariz., and am associated with the Banner Hospital System. I work as a regional medical director for Team Health and just completed a four-year stint as chief of staff at Banner Gateway Hospital in Gilbert, Ariz. My wife and I recently bought a farm and cattle ranch in Lovell, Wyo.”

Diana J. Voss, P.T. ’75, writes, “I enjoy a busy, active life in Spokane, working for a school district serving children with special needs and preparing for my second sprint triathlon!”

Diana Cardenas, M.S. ’76 (rehabilitation medicine), M.D., Res. ’76 (physical medicine and rehabilitation), Res. ’77, writes, “After years of living in the Northwest, I moved back south to the sunshine state! In 2006, I became the chair of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at the University of Miami. Our department has 18 physical medicine and rehabilitation residents and two spinal cord injury medicine fellows. Our major teaching hospitals are Jackson Memorial Hospital, a large county hospital with four Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facility-accredited services, and the Miami VA. My husband is the chief of medicine at the VA, which is directly across the street and allows us to have lunch together almost every day! My oldest daughter and her husband live in Brooklyn and have two kids, William (4) and Isabel (18 months). My youngest daughter and her husband live in Pittsburgh and are expecting a baby soon.”

Jim Ghormley, PA-C (Seattle Class 10) (1977), writes, “I retired last August after 25 years of performing GI procedures at the Portland VA. I’m still putting in an occasional day of scoping on a fee basis. My wife, Liane, and I traveled to France in September for two weeks, and in January, we will be celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary. My best wishes to all at MEDEX, especially Seattle Class 10.”

Michael S. Kennedy, M.D., Res. ’77 (internal medicine), Fel. ’85 (allergy and infectious diseases), is a partner at Northwest Asthma & Allergy Center, where he has worked since 1993, and a UW clinical associate professor of medicine. Kennedy is the past president of the Puget Sound Allergy Society and the Washington State Society of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society.

Lonnie T. King II, M.D. ’77, writes, “I retired from the U.S. Navy having served as an otolaryngologist at naval hospitals in Washington, Guam and Spain. My wife, Cheryl, and I live in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.”

Gary L. Harris, M.D. ’79, writes, “Still happy and busy with family medicine. I have eight kids and 15 grandchildren. Can still downhill ski and play basketball.”

Sally Westcott McCoy, M.S. ’79 (physical therapy), Ph.D. ’93 (behavioral neuroscience), has been elected to the Catherine Worthingham Fellows of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). This is the highest designation of membership within the APTA. McCoy also has been awarded a Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute Award for her project, “Developmental Trajectories of Impairments, Health, and Participation of Children with Cerebral Palsy.” McCoy is a UW professor in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine and specializes in physical therapy management of children with developmental disabilities.

Catherine Otto

Catherine Otto, M.D. ’79, Fel. ’85 (cardiology), received the 2013 UW School of Medicine Distinguished Alumni Award. Otto is a leading authority on valvular heart disease, echocardiography, adult congenital heart disease and aortic stenosis, among other topics. She has published more than 150 original research papers and commentaries. Her book, Textbook of Clinical Echocardiography, is now in its fifth edition and has been called the bible of echocardiography. Otto was recently named the editor of Blood.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington