CLASSNOTES

1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2000s | 2010–today

New job, award, move or family addition? Your classmates want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re doing.

The ClassNotes below were received through September 2013; any received afterward will appear in the next issue.

Johnny B. Green, M.D. ’80, writes, “I moved to Boise, Idaho, in 2011 to perform colorectal surgery at Idaho Surgical Associates. I am also involved in research efforts to detect adequate oxygen and blood supply across anastomosis to prevent anastamotic leaks post-operation.”

Jefferson Slimp, M.D., Res. ’80 (physical and rehabilitation medicine), Ph.D., retired from his position as a UW professor of rehabilitation medicine and director of neuromonitoring.

Steven Dale Atwood, M.D., Res. ’81 (internal medicine), writes, “I’m very busy with a solo practice in Springfield, Mo.”

Reginald F. Finger, M.D. ’81 (internal medicine), writes, “After spending most of my career in state and local public health and in research, publishing and lecturing (most recently in the field of embryo adoption), I joined the faculty of Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, Ind., where I will be teaching epidemiology, biostatistics and research methods on campus for the newly formed master of public health program, and online for the IWU School of Nursing. I moved with my wife, Annette, to Marion this summer. We celebrated our 31st anniversary on June 12.”

Barbara S. Schneidman, M.D., Res. ’81 (psychiatry/behavioral sciences), MPH, writes, “I have been elected president of the American College of Psychiatrists.”

Neal Sorensen, M.D. ’81, was presented the University of Washington Richard M. Tucker Regional Internal Medicine Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award at the teacher’s appreciation dinner in Billings, Mont., on May 16, 2013.

Bill Levy, PA-C (Seattle Class 15) (1982), writes, “I have left the Hutch and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance after almost 30 years in stem cell transplant and hematology/oncology. I am now with MEDEX Northwest as a faculty member and responsible for representing the program and PAs across UW Medicine. Big change and new role. Looking forward to it all.”

Claudio Lima, PA (Seattle Class 15) (1982), writes, “I retired after my wife’s death in 2008, but went back to work part time in late 2010. Finally, I retired for good. I want to recognize faculty members Ruth Ballweg, MPA, PA-C (Seattle Class 11) (1978), and Den Kerlee for their guidance during school, my proctor and first supervising physician, Thomas Syltebo, M.D. ’77, Res. ’80 (family medicine), and Dr. Harry Glauber for their teaching and direction during the formative years of my profession.”

Edwin Lopez, PA-C (Seattle Class 15) (1982), writes, “Graduated from the MEDEX Northwest Physician Assistant Program in 1982. Completed a surgical internship at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Hospital in New York in 1987 and the University of Washington’s MHA certificate program in professional medical management in Seattle in 2003. Completed the healthcare policy program at Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government in Boston in 2003. I was a student in the Physician Leadership Institute through the Center for Transformation and Change at the University of South Florida, Tampa. I’m now employed as the associate regional medical director for the Franciscan Health System Inpatient Team in Tacoma, Wash.”

Mark Vollrath, PA-C (Seattle Class 15) (1982), DFAAPA, writes, “I will be retiring at the end of this year from full-time practice. I have enjoyed providing healthcare in the Skagit Valley for more than 32 years, the last 13 as a provider and clinical director at Northwest Orthopedic Surgeons. I’ve had the privilege of serving on the board of directors for the Washington Association of Physician Assistants (WAPA) and serving on the Medical Quality Assurance Commission for three terms as a pro-tem commissioner. My greatest job, though, has been serving as a guest lecturer, preceptor and clinical instructor at MEDEX for 32 years. I hope to continue in some form to support my chosen profession. As of Aug. 28, 2011, and after a 41-year courtship, I am a newlywed. Best wishes to all.”

Paul A. Bagnulo, M.D., Res. ’84, (family medicine), writes, “I’ve recently retired after 24 years at Edmonds Family Medicine.”

Michael Gluck, M.D., Res. ’84 (internal medicine), is the chair of the Department of Medicine and section head of gastroenterology at Virginia Mason Medical Center. Gluck is also the associate director of the Pancreatic Center of Excellence at Virginia Mason’s Digestive Diseases Institute.

Guy Golembiewski, M.D., Res. ’84 (general surgery), writes, “Andrea and I had our first daughter, Ani Alaina, on Oct. 3, 2012. I currently work full-time at McLaren Northern Michigan Hospital and as the medical director at Harbor Hall, a substance abuse detox and treatment center.”

Edward Michael Kolb, M.D., Res. ’85 (pediatrics), writes, “I am the medical director (CMO) of the Boys Town National Research Hospital in Omaha, Neb. I also practice pediatric anesthesiology and direct a craniofacial clinic. My wife and I have 10 children: seven adopted (five from China and two from Romania).”

Stephen Hunt Taplin, M.D., Fel. ’85 (family medicine), writes, “I am the chief of the process of care research within the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences in the Behavioral Research Program at the National Cancer Institute.”

Thomas M. Slyter, M.D. ’86, is semi-retired and has recently moved back to Washington.

Anthony L. Back, M.D., Res. ’87 (internal medicine), Chief Res. ’88 (internal medicine), UW professor of medicine in the Division of Medical Oncology, was honored as a 2013 Leader in Health Care by Seattle Business Magazine; he won a silver award for health care practitioner.

Jan HowellWorking With the Mind and the Heart:
Janet L. Howell,
P.T. ’87

The mind and the heart are not separate. This Tibetan tenet helps explain how Janet L. Howell, P.T. ’87, became a Buddhist monastic. Ordained in 2006, Thubten Tarpa (Howell’s Buddhist name) now lives in Sravasti Abbey in Newport, Wash. Her interest in religion, however, began years earlier at Michigan State University, where Howell began an undergraduate career in religious studies. She changed majors mid-stream to follow another calling: the pursuit of medicine.

After receiving an M.S. at the University of Oregon, she applied to the physical therapy program at UW Medicine. “Studying with the same 24 people for two years was a great experience,” Howell says. She also enjoyed the team approach to patient care at UW, saying, “collaboration is in the best interest of a patient.”

Howell worked for 18 years as a physical therapist before finishing her career at the outpatient clinic at Northwest Hospital & Medical Center. Then she moved to Sravasti Abbey. “The many opportunities at UW — of working with people — really led me to where I am now: working with the mind and the heart,” she says.

Margaret F. Gaines, M.D., Fel. ’90 (geriatrics), writes, “After years working in continuing care, I’ve recently returned to primary care in preparation for healthcare reform. I hope to bring my experience in assisted living and hospice palliative care to patients in my office practice as they age.”

Arne E. Gundersen, B.S. ’87 (microbiology), DDS, writes, “I work full-time as a dentist and provide financial and emotional support for my wife’s non-profit (Washington Engage), which fights human trafficking. I do volunteer work with spiritual formation at our church and have three children, 16, 17 and 21.”

Karen E. Williams (Gladson), O.T. ’87, writes, “After graduating, I worked in adult back rehabilitation, then in pediatrics. I left the workforce to be a stay-at-home mom. Now I work in pediatrics again, mostly with children, ages 0–3, who are developmentally delayed.”

Deborah Kartin, M.S. ’88 (rehabilitation medicine), Ph.D., received the 2012 UW Medicine Award for Excellence in Mentoring. Kartin was recognized for her commitment to incorporating an interdisciplinary perspective in her courses for the doctor of physical therapy program, evidence-based practice, measurement and critical analysis of research literature. She also teaches courses for the Ph.D. program in rehabilitation science.

Patrick S. Lynch, Jr., M.D. ’88, Res. ’90 (general surgery), writes, “I’m now the president and CEO of Northwest Orthopedic Specialists in Spokane.”

Nathan A. Munn, M.D. ’88, is a tenured professor at Helena College University of Montana.

Ginger L. Dattilo, M.D., Fel. ’89 (geriatrics), writes, “I’m working as a hospitalist in Bend, Ore.”

Thomas H. Fenwick II, B.S. ’89 (microbiology), writes, “Working as the biologicals strategic sourcing manager at Life Technologies. Traveling the world every opportunity I get.”

Richard D. Gibbs, M.D., Res. ’89 (family medicine), writes, “Tricia and I still oversee and practice at the San Francisco Free Clinic. The clinic is this year’s recipient of the California Prize from the University of San Francisco.”

Helen Hunt, M.D., Res. ’89 (internal medicine), writes, “I have been a primary-care physician at Harvard Vanguard in Boston for more than 20 years. My husband was trained in orthopedics but has now left medicine to coach rowing at our son’s school, Phillips Andover. We have an 11th-grade son and an 8th-grade daughter — enjoying seeing the world with them!”

Margaret L. Hutchison, M.D. ’89, writes, “I am a specialist in gynecologic robotic surgery and am the chief of staff-elect for Swedish Medical Center, First Hill, Ballard and Cherry Hill.”

Mindy Opper, PA-C (Seattle Class 21) (1989), writes, “I opened my own integrative family medicine/ayurvedic wellness office in 2011. I love having my own business, so I get to really practice the art of medicine — no productivity quotas, no 15-minute visits. I get to spend time with patients and be a holistic practitioner. My office is located in a non-traditional healing center, the Red Willow Center. I work collaboratively with a chiropractor, massage therapists, mental health therapists, a craniosacral practitioner, BodyTalk practitioners and a nutritionist. I feel that the roots of my training as a PA in the 80s instilled a great desire to practice holistically and give patients options in their care — to meet them where they are and support them in the best way possible. After being a PA for so long, I practice solid medicine, and I am glad that I have added new modalities of care to my repertoire. Always the rebel!”

Gloria Padilla-Carlson, PA-C (Seattle Class 21) (1989), writes, “I will be 69 this year and am thinking of retiring. I must say that the last four years as a PA were the best years of my career. I worked at the Free Clinic of Kalamazoo in Michigan from May 2008 to November 2010, when the clinic closed. This was a rewarding practice. I was there during the worst part of the recession, and it was humbling to see what can happen to people when they lose their jobs — when health is the last thing they will take care of, or the last thing they can afford. I was then recruited to open a two-provider clinic in a rural area of Augusta, Mich. We opened the clinic in February 2011. This was the best way to end my career as a PA. Now I have the time to focus on my grandson, Nick, and more time to do volunteer work and travel.”

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington