CLASSNOTES

1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2000s | 2010–today

New job, award, move or family addition? Your classmates want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re doing.

The ClassNotes below were received through September 2013; any received afterward will appear in the next issue.

Elona Turk, PA-C (Seattle Class 22) (1990), writes, “Spent a year in Australia as part of the group introducing PAs to Queensland Health. Sixth months in ER and six months helping to start a clinic. An amazing experience. I also worked in northern Alaska for eight years, working with Inuit natives. Every couple of years I spend a month or two in the islands of the South Pacific. I’m presently in North Carolina and looking forward to retiring within the next few years, then working only when I want to.”

Michelle Boroski, PA-C (Seattle Class 23) (1991), writes, “I’m working and living in Ventura, Calif., practicing urgent care at Kaiser Permanente.”

Leighton Chan, M.D., Res. ’91 (internal medicine), Res. ’92 (physical and rehabilitation medicine), M.S. ’94, (rehabilitation medicine), MPH, writes, “I left Seattle and took a great job as the chief of the Rehabilitation Medicine Department at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Center, a 280-bed research hospital. I run a clinical department that helps support the clinical research performed by about 300 intramural investigators at the NIH. In addition, I get to do my own research. We have a pretty robust rehab research program, supporting everything from biomechanics and robotics, to epidemiology and instrument development. On the home front, my wife, Beth, a former physical therapist from Harborview, now practices pediatrics in Bethesda, Md., and our kids (Josh, age 10, and Nani, age 8) are growing up fast.”

Laura L. Hultgren, P.T. ’91, writes, “I work at the Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee as a physical therapist in acute care and inpatient pediatrics.”

Donn Colby, M.D., Res. ’92 (internal medicine), MPH, has been appointed chief of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Behavioral Research Unit in Bangkok, Thailand. The unit is one of three international sites operated by the CDC Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention and focuses on biomedical HIV prevention for gay men.

James McInally, PA-C (Seattle Class 24) (1992), writes, “I have been practicing for 10 years in Cascade, Idaho, a small mountain town 80 miles from the nearest tertiary center, doing clinic, hospital and ER coverage. It is a great place to work. In summer, the population of Cascade is 900 on Wednesday night and 20,000 on Friday night. There’s great variety, and I have become the acknowledged fishhook removal specialist. I work with another MEDEX graduate, Nikki Rota, PA-C (Yakima Class 13) (2008), and a family practice doctor. We share coverage of the “house,” and I have been known to take ER calls from my boat. (The dock is about 500 yards from the hospital.) The beard has turned white and the ponytail is down to my belt. Doin’ it my way.”

Charles H. Beymer, M.D., Res. ’93 (internal medicine), Fel. ’02 (medicine), writes, “Teaching gastrointestinal fellows at the University of Arizona School of Medicine.”

Nora Disis, M.D., Fel. ’93 (oncology), was appointed the inaugural holder of the Athena Distinguished Professorship of Breast Cancer Research at UW Medicine. She is the director of the Center for Translational Medicine in Women’s Health and the Institute of Translational Health Sciences.

Cheryl Kerfeld, M.S. ’93 (rehabilitation medicine), Ph.D. ’11, (rehabilitation science), has been appointed a UW acting assistant professor in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine and teaches courses in the doctor of physical therapy program.

Kate Garst, M.D., Res. ’94 (family medicine), writes, “In 2004, I retired from medicine because of multiple sclerosis. I’m now raising two teenagers, gardening and enjoying my large Iowa family.”

Eileen Gibbons, M.D. ’94, lives with her daughter in Seattle. She has been running her own clinic for 16 years in downtown Seattle and says these days she enjoys yoga, biking and family. She is looking forward to seeing fellow ’94 graduates at this year’s reunion.

Maria “Rina” Reyes, M.D., Res. ’94 (physical and rehabilitation medicine), has been appointed a UW associate professor in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine. Reyes specializes in spinal cord injury, neurologic rehabilitation and spasticity management.

Michael D. Hughes, M.D. ’95, will be joining the University of California Riverside School of Medicine as a health sciences assistant clinical professor of family medicine.

Tracy L. Jirikowic, M.S. ’95 (occupational therapy), was named to the American Occupational Therapy Foundation roster of fellows for her “leadership, scholarship and education
in developmental disabilities.”

Regine Keller-Melchior, M.D., Fel. ’95 (dermatology), writes, “I am working as a dermatologist in a special diagnostic clinic in Germany. We see patients from different parts of Germany, Europe and overseas, and we do clinical research.”

Elizabeth H. Sims, B.S. ’95 (microbiology), writes, “I’m currently enrolled in the doctor of naturopathic medicine program at Bastyr University.”

John Stamatoyannopolous

John Stamatoyannopoulos, M.D. ’95, received the 2013 UW School of Medicine Alumni Early Achievement Award. He has appointments in genome sciences and medicine at UW Medicine.

Shawn West, M.D. ’95, Res. ’98 (family medicine), was appointed chief medical officer at Coordinated Care, a Medicaid Managed Care health plan for the State of Washington. West will continue to see patients one day at week at Edmonds Family Medicine/Puget Sound Family Physicians.

Traci Hiegel, M.D. ’96, Res. ’97 (pediatrics), writes, “I have been in general pediatrics for 15 years. It’s been exciting to see my patients, from newborns to high school. I feel like a part of many families. I have two kids, Sarah (16) and Ben (9). Sarah will be applying to the UW and is interested in medicine. Ben is passionate about baseball. My hobbies include traveling, reading, jogging, hiking and music.”

Shinichiro Maeshima, M.D., Ph.D., Fel. ’96 (physical and rehabilitation medicine), writes, “I am a professor in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine II at Fujita Health University’s School of Medicine. My current work focuses on stroke rehabilitation, especially cognitive function and swallowing disorders. I am a veteran judoist of the third rank and an avid alpine skier.”

Elizabeth J. McKinnis, M.D. ’96, Res. ’99 (internal medicine), Chief Res. ’00 (internal medicine), writes, “After a long hiatus as a stay-at-home mom for our four children (6, 9 (twins), and 12), I returned to practicing clinical medicine last year. I am employed as an outpatient community-based clinician in internal medicine by Norwalk Hospital Physicians Surgeons, with my office based in Fairfield, Conn.”

Peter M. Rhee, M.D., Fel. ’96 (general surgery), MPH, writes, “I am the vice chair of surgery and chief of trauma, surgical and critical care, burns and emergency surgery at the University of Arizona.”

Michael D. Taylor, B.S. ’96 (microbiology), PA-C, writes, “I’m a practicing physician assistant in orthopedic surgery and recently started an urban winery in West Seattle.”

Jeff Trimble, PA-C (Yakima Class 1) (1996), writes, “I’ve been working in cardiac surgery in St. Cloud, Minn., since 1997. I obtained my master’s in PA studies from the University of Nebraska. Passed CAQ (certificates of added qualifications) in cardiac surgery in 2012.”

Michelle Ann Cardenas, M.S., PA-C (Yakima Class 2) (1997), writes, “New job: University of Washington Virology Research Clinic, January 2013. New degree: M.S. in clinical research management, May 2012.”

Andres Garcia, PA-C (Yakima Class 2) (1997), writes, “Upon graduation, I accepted a position as a PA-C working in rural Dayton, Wash. (Columbia County), where I practiced family medicine and emergency room medicine for four years. In 2001, I accepted a position with Benton Franklin Orthopedic Associates, working as a clinical PA in orthopedics. I am still with the group 12.5 years later. I enjoy my position here. My background is in diagnostic radiology, and I work as a radiologic technologist in hospital and clinical settings, providing radiology, CT scans and MRI services. This December, I will celebrate 20 years of being married to my wife, Marisela. God blessed us with three beautiful children.”

Jeanette S. Carlson, PA-C (Seattle Class 30) (1998), welcomed a granddaughter, Isabella, on March 10.

Chung Ha

Chung M. Ha, M.D. ’98, writes, “Loving solo practice in Anchorage, Alaska. I have an adorable Labrador!”

Catherine Blish

Catherine A. Blish, Ph.D. ’99, M.D. ’01, Res. ’03 (internal medicine), Fel. ’06 (allergy and infectious diseases), writes, “I am an assistant professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine, at Stanford. Since coming to Stanford in 2011, the major goal of my research has been to gain insight into the prevention and control of HIV and other viral pathogens by studying the interplay between the virus and the host immune response, with a particular focus on natural killer (NK) cells and immune regulation during pregnancy.” Blish is also one of 16 physician-scientists to receive a 2013 Clinical Scientist Development Award from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.

Margaret A. Hale, PA-C (Yakima Class 4) (1999), writes, “I’m an officer in the U.S. Public Health Service. I work at the Federal Correctional Complex in Butner, N.C.”

Martha Winje, PA-C (Spokane Class 1) (1999), writes, “I worked at Newport Hospital in the emergency department and in primary care for years. This year, I accepted a job with Beacon Occupational Health and Safety Services. They contract providers for remote-site medical services. Right now, I am part of a three- to five-year mine remediation project in the Cascade Mountains above Lake Chelan, and I am taking care of 150–200 workers at Holden Village. Life is very good.”

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington