A Community for Life

Reflections on Our School, Our Involvement

Photo: Sarah Rothschild

Being the president of the UW School of Medicine Alumni Association has its perks. During the first half of my term, I’ve had the opportunity to meet alumni who are making groundbreaking scientific discoveries, changing the world with humanitarian efforts and mentoring tomorrow’s healthcare providers. I watched the MS2s trying on their white coats — a gift from the alumni association — and witnessed them and their families beam with pride. I’ve seen the embrace of classmates reunited after 50 years, who shared memories of their days in the anatomy lab as if they had been there yesterday.

With each of these encounters, I am reminded that we are part of something special — there is no medical school in the world like the University of Washington School of Medicine.

There are many ways to remain connected with your classmates and your school. I encourage you to take advantage of one of these opportunities this year — to be reminded of what it means to be a graduate. Open your home to a student, and pass along the valuable knowledge you’ve acquired throughout your career. Attend an alumni event. Mentor students by being a preceptor in a service learning project (and support your community at the same time). Read your monthly Connections email, and like our Facebook page, which contains stories about fellow graduates and important updates.

I enter my second year as president with great enthusiasm, and I look forward to developing more opportunities to help you connect: with fellow alumni, current students and the school. It’s a community for life.

Angela J. Chien, M.D. ’95
President , UW Medicine Alumni Association
docang1@comcast.net

P.S. Visit uwmedalumni.org or contact our alumni relations staff at 206.685.1875, toll free at 1.866.633.2586, or medalum@uw.edu for more information.

The UW Medicine Alumni Association’s Mission Statement

1. Support the UW School of Medicine in the fulfillment of its mission, serving as diplomats and advocates in the communities where medical alumni live and work.
  2. Provide support for students, residents and fellows at the School of Medicine through programs, scholarships, fellowships and financial contributions.
  3. Establish and maintain a sense of unity among alumni.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington