Below we pay tribute to recently deceased alumni, faculty, students and friends. Because we are not always aware of deaths in the larger UW Medicine community, we rely on alumni, faculty and friends to notify us. Our sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones.
We do not always have information on alumni who died some time ago. We only recently learned of the deaths below, and we welcome any tributes or memories you would like to share at email@example.com.
M. Alan Permutt, M.D., Res. ’67, Fel. ’69, died on June 10, 2012, in St. Louis, Missouri. The last issue included an incorrect date and location. Our apologies for the error.
William S. Butts, M.D., Res., attended Dartmouth Medical School and Rush Medical College in Chicago, where he received an M.D. in 1938. He practiced medicine in Spokane until entering the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942; as a flight surgeon with the 280th heavy bomber squadron, he achieved the rank of major and the Soldier’s Medal for valor. On Aug. 30, 1939, Dr. Butts married Barbara Kimbrough, also of Spokane.
From 1945 to 1969, he was in private practice in Pullman, Wash. In 1969, Dr. Butts joined the Washington State University Student Health Service, serving as its director from 1973 to 1979. He “retired” in 1993 and began practicing in locum tenens roles in Washington, Idaho and Montana. Afterwards, he operated a sleep disorders practice.
Dr. Butts was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the medical honorary society Alpha Omega Alpha, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Sigma Xi, the Spokane and Whitman County Medical Societies, the Washington State Medical Association, the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Family Practice. He was also active in Pullman civic affairs, serving as the city’s health officer and spearheading the successful campaign for city water fluoridation.
Dr. Butts is survived by his second wife, Kathleen; his sister, Phyllis Garber; his children, Katherine Butts Warwick, William David Butts (Beverlee), Charles Kimbrough Butts (Leah); and three grandchildren and six step-grandchildren.
Charles R. Rosewall, M.D. ’51, was raised in Blue Earth, Minn., where his parents owned a clothing store. He spent some time at the University of Minnesota and enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. After marrying Betty Harper of Texas, Dr. Rosewall moved to Sacramento, Calif., for flight training, graduating as a lieutenant navigator in November 1942.
Based in England with the 8th Air Force Division the following spring, Dr. Rosewall flew missions over Germany until his B-17 was shot down in August 1943. It was part of a raid on a ball-bearing factory in the Schweinfurt-Regensburg region, a raid that cost the division a full quarter of its planes. Dr. Rosewall was captured and held in a Stalag-Luft prison camp administered by the German Air Force until May 1945. Returning to his wife and a daughter born 10 weeks after his capture, Dr. Rosewall finished his education on the GI Bill, graduating from the UW School of Medicine in 1951. He did a residency at Letterman Army Medical Center at the Presidio in San Francisco before being transferred to Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls, Texas. Dr. Rosewall retired from the Air Force in 1959 with the rank of captain and subsequently entered private practice in psychiatry in Texas and California. His first marriage ended in 1962.
In 1972, Dr. Rosewall married actress Elena Verdugo in Los Angeles, Calif. Ms. Verdugo was well-known as the nurse Consuelo Lopez on Marcus Welby, M.D. The couple lived in Los Angeles and in Rosarito Beach in Baja, Mexico, where they did volunteer work with the Red Cross. In retirement, Dr. Rosewall greatly enjoyed golf and retained an avid interest in reading and learning.
Beloved for his wide-ranging curiosity, sharp intellect and gentle nature, Dr. Rosewall will be deeply missed by his wife, Elena; his daughter, Pam (Stan), and other family members and friends.
George H. Handy, M.D., attended Rush Medical College in Chicago, Ill. He served four years in the military during World War II; afterward, he practiced general medicine in Wisconsin Rapids, Wis., for 20 years, making thousands of house calls and delivering more than 1,000 babies. He completed a graduate degree in public health at the University of Minnesota in 1964 and served as the Wisconsin State Health Officer in 1971. He was active in his church, the Boy Scouts, the Masons, Kiwanis and other community activities.
Alvin J. Novack, M.D. ’52, graduated from Tahoma High School in 1942. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army Air Force as an instructor pilot in the Troop Carrier Command. After graduating from the UW School of Medicine, received a year of surgical training at Harper Hospital in Detroit, Mich. For the next six years, he trained in maxillofacial cancer surgery at Johns Hopkins and Union Hospital in Baltimore, Md. He was also a national cancer trainee at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York under the guidance of Dr. John Conley. Dr. Novack returned to Seattle in 1960 and practiced at Swedish Medical Center until he retired in 1992. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Betty, eight children and their spouses — Vance (Irene), Deborah (Mike), Michelle (Terry), Mitch (Lauren), Craig (Jennifer), Brad (Kate), Mary Ellen (Kevin) and Garth (May) — and 17 grandchildren.
G. Malcolm Cottington, M.D. ’54, graduated from Bethany College and the University of Washington School of Medicine. A retired orthopedic surgeon, he had practiced in Butler, Penn., for 26 years. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Ilene; four children, Eric, Susan, David and Robert; one sister, Yaada Weber; 16 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Gordon A. Logan, M.D., Res. ’54, served with the U. S. Marine Corps in San Diego in 1943 and 1944. He earned a B.S. in electrical engineering from Purdue University in 1945, an M.S. in psychology from Purdue in 1946 and an M.D. from Columbia University in 1951. Dr. Logan married Joan (Jody) Memrie Goss on June 22, 1946, in Indianapolis, and they moved to the Seattle area in 1951.
Dr. Logan was involved in the founding of the Heart Center of Providence Medical Center (now Swedish Medical Center) in 1959 using a grant from the John A. Hartford Foundation. He was the heart center’s director until 1987, and was affiliated with the University of Washington from 1952 to 1978, retiring from medical practice at age 70 in 1994.
Dr. Logan climbed all the major peaks of the Pacific Northwest, and he enjoyed hiking, camping, boating, fishing and heli-skiing. He was involved with the Mountaineers Club and the building of their Mt. Baker lodge in 1954. He and Mrs. Logan also enjoyed dancing, Dixieland jazz music and festivals.
Dr. Logan is survived by his wife, Joan; children James and Patricia Logan; David and Stephanie Logan; Bruce and Chris Logan, and Beth Logan Young; five grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Janice Keller Phelps, M.D., B.S. ’54, Res. ’60, was a graduate of Mt. Si High School and earned a B.S. in zoology from the University of Washington. (She also was the queen of the Evergreen State Fair in 1950, an award that was accompanied by a scholarship.) In 1957, Dr. Phelps received an M.D. from Northwestern University’s medical school (now the Feinberg School of Medicine) in Chicago, Ill. In 1960, she completed her residency in pediatrics at King County Hospital (now Harborview Medical Center) and Children’s Orthopedic Hospital in Seattle, in 1960. Dr. Phelps served as a doctor for 32 years, 20 in pediatrics and 12 treating addiction, co-authoring The Hidden Addiction and How to Get Free. She later sold real estate around Sand Point, Idaho. Dr. Phelps’ endless positive energy and great desire to help others knew no bounds. She is survived by her brothers, Dale and Ward Keller; her children, Julia, Howard, and Peter Nielson; and her grandson, Chase Nielson.
Harold E. King, M.D. ’55, was born in Iowa City, Iowa. He served as a pharmacist’s mate on a troop transport during World War II. Dr. King graduated from Lakeside School, Stanford University and the University of Washington School of Medicine, followed by a residency at the Mayo Clinic. He practiced internal medicine at Swedish Medical Center for nearly 30 years, retiring in 1986.
Dr. King was active in the Seattle Internal Medicine Society, the North Pacific Society of Internal Medicine and King County Blue Shield. After he retired, he pursued many interests, including attending history courses at the UW, traveling extensively with his wife, Joan, collecting English pewter and building a summer home in Indianola, Wash. His commitment to a well-stacked woodpile was legendary, and he and Joan spent some of their happiest times with friends and family at their cabin. Dr. King is survived by Joan, his wife of 63 years; three children and their spouses, Michael, Steven (Cathy) and Katie Keller (Tom); and 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Robert E. Carney, M.D. ’56, graduated from Mount Vernon High School, attended Skagit Valley College and received an undergraduate degree from the University of Washington in 1952, the same year he married his wife, Mary Lou Borchardt. After graduating from the UW School of Medicine, he completed his medical studies with a residency at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. Following medical school, Dr. Carney served in the U.S. Army. Returning from the service, where he was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, he practiced medicine in Lynden, Wash. Then he joined Richard Hoag and Maynard Johnson at the Boynton Clinic in Mount Vernon, Wash. In 1968, Dr. Carney began a residency in psychiatry at Northern State Hospital. He opened a clinic in Mount Vernon in 1971 and practiced psychiatry there until his retirement in 1995.
Dr. Carney had a brief period of rest and relaxation after his retirement; then he served as a locum tenens psychiatrist in Maine, Kentucky, Idaho and Indiana. Following his wife’s death in 1987, Dr. Carney married Barbara Ebeling Medlicott, a high-school classmate, in 1988. They made their home in Burlington, Wash., until moving to Oro Valley, Ariz. in 2012.
Dr. Carney loved music, especially Beethoven and jazz, and he developed a love of bluegrass — which he shared with his family — while in Kentucky. He was a member of the Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church since childhood and served as the chairman of the building committee. He was extremely proud when the new facility was built. Dr. Carney also served on the board of directors for the Mount Vernon School District for several years. He was a man of true integrity and a wonderful storyteller, and he loved a good joke. There was always a boyish twinkle in his eye.
Dr. Carney is survived by his wife, Barbara; his children, Betsy (John), Jane (Kelly), Jim (Melody), Marilyn (Doug); his stepchildren Will (Doris), David (Debbie), Sally (Michael), 17 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Thomas J. Huchala, M.D. ’56, served in the U.S. Army from 1943 until 1946; he was an expert marksman and was awarded many honors, including a Bronze Star, a Purple Heart and a Presidential Unit Citation. Dr. Huchala met his wife, Ember, at a New Year’s Eve dance, and they married on Sept. 1, 1951. In fall 1954, the Huchalas moved to Seattle so he could attend medical school at the University of Washington. Dr. Huchala practiced family medicine in Burien for more than 50 years. He was honored with emeritus status from Highline Hospital after 45 years of service and served as a member of the Highline College Medical Advisory Group for more than 30 years. Dr. Huchala is survived by his son, Thomas Huchala, Jr., two grandsons and many nieces and nephews.
Joseph O. Dean, Jr., M.D., Res. ’57, received an M.D. from the University of Maryland. During and after medical school, he was subject to the armed services doctor draft and was commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS). With the USPHS, he interned in Seattle and then served two years at the Kiowa and Comanche Indian Hospital in Lawton, Okla. Following a four-year residency in Youngstown, Ohio, he became board certified in anatomic and clinical pathology. Dr. Dean’s first pathology practice was located at Aultman Hospital in Canton, Ohio. In 1968, he joined the Peoria Tazewell Pathology Group where he enjoyed practice at Proctor Hospital in Peoria, Ill. Dr. Dean also was a clinical associate professor of pathology at the University of Illinois Medical School.
Throughout his life, travel with family and friends was one of Dr. Dean’s passions, and he explored all seven continents. After retiring in 1994, he eventually relocated to his retreat in Rhinelander, participating in water sports, biking, skiing, camping, volunteering, learning and teaching at the Elderhostel Institute for Learning in Retirement, enjoying the Paddle and Trial Club, and serving as an active member of First Congregational United Church of Christ in Rhinelander. Dr. Dean is survived by his wife of 59 years, JoAnne Blanch Seiter Dean; and their four children and their spouses: Joseph O. (Joan), Scott (Mary), Martin (Kathy), and Gayle (Mike); 10 grandchildren and two siblings: Evelyn Spies (Bill) and Willard Dean. (Taken from The Northwoods River News.)
Ronald R. Clarke, M.D. ’64, served in the U.S. Army from 1954 to 1957. He met his future wife, Gigi, in Washington, and they were married in 1957. Dr. Clarke completed an internship and residency at Los Angeles Children’s Hospital, and, in 1969, he became a global volunteer with Project Hope. He and his family moved to Cartagena, Colombia, for two years, then Dr. Clarke joined Kaiser Permanente in 1971 in Santa Clara, Calif., as a pediatric medical staff member. In 1975, he moved to Kaiser in Santa Teresa, Calif., where he served as chief of pediatrics for 20 years before retiring in 1995.
Dr. Clarke volunteered with Flying Doctors, and he served in Vietnam and Thailand as a visiting faculty member in pediatric medicine. He loved his family and the game of golf, both of which sustained him after his diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Dr. Clarke is survived by his wife, Gigi; three children, David, Karen and Kathy; and seven grandchildren.
Ivor S. Smith, M.D., Res. ’65, was born in Northern Rhodesia, Africa, the son of a British doctor and his wife. Sent to England at 14, he attended a boarding school in Surrey then went to Gonville & Caius, a college at the University of Cambridge. After qualifying at St Thomas’ Hospital, London, Dr. Smith moved to Canada to pursue general practice. Then he moved his young family to Seattle, where he pursued anesthesiology at the University of Washington. Dr. Smith practiced in North Carolina, then Boston, where he became a passionate and lifelong advocate and practitioner for the effective treatment of chronic pain.
His commitment to innovation led him to use acupuncture and hypnosis in a medical setting, and he published a book, Ouch!, in June 2012. To those who loved him, Dr. Smith was characterized by his laughter. He always had a great story to tell. He loved books and crosswords, good food and his Westies. He loved many people all over the world, and he had great friends in Italy, Colombia and England. He is survived by his great partner in life, Stephanie, with whom he enjoyed many idyllic years in their house in the woods in Wells, Vt. He is also survived by four children, three step-daughters and 12 grandchildren.
Edward David Joneschild, M.D. ‘66, Res. ’69, is remembered by friends and family for his infectious smile and hearty laugh. A pediatrician for more than 40 years, he touched the lives of many families. After graduating from Washington State University, he pursued a medical degree at the University of Washington. Dr. Joneschild’s pediatric residency took him to Denver, where he met and married Carol, his wife of 45 years. They spent two years in Taiwan during his service in the Navy before returning to Seattle to continue his pediatrics practice. Dr. Joneschild was actively involved in many pediatric organizations throughout his career, and he loved skiing, sailing, food and wine. He is survived by his wife, Carol; two children and their spouses: Elizabeth (Dustin) and David (Kristi); and three grandchildren.
Harley J. Scholz, M.D., Res. ’66, graduated from Perry High School in 1958 and attended North Oklahoma Junior College for two years before continuing pre-medicine studies at Oklahoma State University; he graduated from the Oklahoma University School of Medicine in 1965.
Dr. Scholz married Sue Stewart in 1962, and they had four children, two born in Wallowa County. After a yearlong internship at University of Washington Medical Center, he started a career in family medicine in Yates Center, Kansas. Approximately two years later, Dr. Scholz opened Winding Waters Clinic in Enterprise, Ore. During the 17 years he practiced in Enterprise, he became a community leader and raised Simmental cattle. He was an avid bow hunter and trout fisherman as well as a Little League coach.
Because of ill health, Dr. Scholz and his family moved to Glendale, Ariz., where he joined Cigna Healthcare as a family physician. He was named Cigna Clinician of the Year in 1984. As Dr. Scholz’s health failed, he looked forward to retirement. When he retired in 1999, Dr. and Mrs. Scholz moved back to Perry, Okla. During his mother’s last years, she lived with them, and Dr. Scholz became her main caregiver. He also became a leader in his church.
Dr. Scholz is survived by his wife and best friend, Sue; his children and their spouses: Karl (Penny), Kurt (Laura), Kristin (Martin), and Harli Jill (Travis); his brother, Jerry; and six grandchildren.
Ricardo G. Hahn, M.D. ’74, was born in Buenos Aires and immigrated to the United States at the age of 16. He received an M.D. from the University of Washington in 1974 and did his residency in family medicine at the University of South Carolina. Throughout his professional career, Dr. Hahn was a dedicated physician and an advocate for his field. He joined the University of Southern California (USC) faculty in 1995 as the chairman of the Department of Family Medicine, a position he held until 2006. In addition to maintaining a full, active clinical practice, Dr. Hahn remained with the department as professor and served as a senior mentor not only to residents, but also to many faculty members. He also served as the medical advisor for the Alfred Mann Institute at USC. Dr. Hahn is survived by his wife, Staci, and his daughter, Emily. He is also survived by family members in Argentina.
Mary Karen Richards, M.D., Res. ’74, Res. ’76, Fel. ’76, graduated from the University Of Miami School of Medicine in 1971 and became an assistant professor of cardiology at the University of Arkansas Medical School in 1976. She entered private practice in 1978. Among many other honors and awards, Dr. Richards became chief of staff at Missouri Pacific Hospital, later becoming chief of staff at Southwest Hospital. Her early interests included horseback riding, scuba diving, duck hunting and white water rafting, and later she became a black belt in taekwondo. Dr. Richards is survived by one sister, Elizabeth Malone (Art); a nephew, Jacob Akoi; her stepmother, Dorothy Richards; and many cousins, friends, colleagues and patients.
David R. Cox, M.D. ’75, Ph.D. ’75, earned an M.D. and Ph.D. at the University of Washington and held faculty positions at the University of California, San Francisco, and the Stanford University School of Medicine. As co-director of the Stanford Genome Center, he played a key role in the mapping and sequencing work accomplished by the Human Genome Project. In 2000, Dr. Cox co-founded Perlegen Sciences as its chief scientific officer, discovering genetic markers for disease risk and adverse drug effects. He then served as chief scientific officer of Pfizer’s Biotherapeutics and Bioinnovation Center.
Dr. Cox served on numerous national and international boards and was elected to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. His passion for science was matched only by his passion for his family and friends. A devoted husband and father, Dr. Cox is survived by his wife, Vicki, and their three children, as well as two brothers.
Douglas M. Hill, M.D. ’75, Res. ’78, graduated from Idaho Falls High School in 1967 and earned a B.S. in pre-med studies at the University of Idaho in 1971. He was part of several honor societies including Phi Beta Kappa. Dr. Hill also was an editor of the university’s literary magazine, Amython, and a photo essayist for the GEM, the University of Idaho’s yearbook.
In 1975, Dr. Hill earned an M.D. at the University of Washington School of Medicine, later pursuing an internship at St Luke’s Hospital in Denver, Colo., and completing his family practice training in Boise, Idaho, in 1978. He was also chief resident from 1977 to 1978. Dr. Hill served as the president and CEO of Family Medical Clinic, P.A., in Caldwell, Idaho, from 1981 to 1999, and was appointed chief medical officer of St. Alphonsus Medical Group in 2000. He also was president of Advantage Care Network and served on multiple boards, including the Idaho Academy of Family Practice and the Family Practice Residency of Southwest Idaho.
When he launched his career goals, he told his parents he simply wanted to “help a lot of people,” and he will be remembered as a caring physician and an inspiring leader who navigated storms with unsinkable humor and calm. But his greatest achievement was his family. With seven children and 11 grandchildren, Dr. Hill defined and developed a family connected by a bond stronger than blood. In 1971, he married Susan Janet Elg and had two daughters, Lauren and Erica. He and his second wife, Kathy Cowles, married in 1984; they had a son, Nicholas, and added daughter Jenny to the family. Dr. Hill and his third wife, Claudia Elise Steen, married in 1993, combining their families to add two sons, Nick and Andy, and a daughter, Nicole.
Thomas B. Reeves, PA-C (Seattle Class 7) (1975), attended Texas Military Institute, University of Oklahoma, University of Texas at Austin, University of the Americas in Puebla, Mexico, and UW Medicine’s MEDEX Northwest physician assistant program. He served his country as a Navy medical corpsman in Vietnam and was honorably discharged from service in July 1972. Mr. Reeves completed his medical education as a physician assistant in 1974. Afterward, he worked in Montana, Washington and the San Luis Valley of Colorado, where he lived for 33 years with his wife, Cathy McCurdy. Mr. Reeves had a love of the outdoors and shared his interest in hunting, fishing and shooting sports with his friends and family. He was a prolific reader and an engaging conversationalist known for his sharp sense of humor. In 1991, the National Migrant Clinician’s Network honored Mr. Reeves with the Unsung Hero Award for his dedication to meeting the needs of migrant farmworkers in Colorado, and he was given the Humanitarian Service Award in 1998 from MEDEX Northwest. He is survived by his wife, Cathy, his brother, Brian Reeves, and sisters-in-law Beth McCurdy and Nancy McCurdy.
A loving father and husband, devoted friend, dedicated healer, sculptor, golfer and prankster, Mr. Pannell inspired those who knew him by living life to the fullest. He graduated from Sumner High School in 1950, an athlete who fellow students voted as a “ladies’ man” and “best dancer.” Following high school, Mr. Pannell became a U.S. Navy Corpsman, attached to the U.S. Marine Corps, and he served in the Korean War. He began his medical career after earning a degree in pharmacology at Louisiana State University. Mr. Pannell became a physician’s assistant in the late 1970s, and he worked for many years at Group Health Cooperative in Port Orchard and Tacoma, Wash. A resident of Packwood, Wash., for 37 years, Mr. Pannell was committed to his community and contributed to the Packwood Arts Festival. He became an avid sculptor, working in soapstone, sandstone and alabaster, and he built several houses, settling into a home overlooking the Cowlitz River with a view of Mt. Rainier. Mr. Panell was a consummate cook, and his love of cooking was one of the many ways he brought family and friends together. He was preceded in death by his brother, Montgomery Oliver, and his wife, Susan Pannell. Mr. Pannell is survived by his brother, Ron Pannell; seven children: Donna, Janice, Denise, Mark, Kelli, Jodi and Jed; 18 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren; his companion, Margery Barlow; close friends Jim and Bonnie Brazil; and many other friends and family members.
Richard D. Atwater, M.D. ’77, grew up in Yakima, Wash. He practiced as an orthopedic surgeon in the Redmond and Seattle areas for over 30 years. Dr. Atwater was well-loved and greatly respected by an extended circle of family and friends for his kindness, patience and gentleness, and he shared a love of life through travel, cooking and dance. He is survived by his wife, Bambi Harvey, his son, Ryan Atwater, his daughter, Mollie (Lee), and numerous other family members.
Jeffrey Alan Kant, M.D., Res. ’79, Ph.D., a lifelong Red Sox fan, was born in Boston. He grew up in Watertown, N.Y., received an A. B. in biology-chemistry from Princeton University, and completed an M.D. and a Ph.D. in biochemistry at the University of Chicago. After internship and residency in pathology and laboratory medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle, Dr. Kant received a fellowship appointment in the hematopathology section of the laboratory of pathology at the National Cancer Institute in Maryland.
After 12 years on the University of Pennsylvania faculty, he moved to Pittsburgh as a professor of pathology and human genetics at the University of Pittsburgh and as the director of the Division of Molecular Diagnostics in the Department of Pathology. During his five years directing the Pathology Residency Training Program, his residents honored him as “the residency director with the open door, open appointment book, and open mind.” Dr. Kant also founded and directed the Molecular Diagnostic Fellowship Program, where he inspired a generation of pathologists, passing on his considerable knowledge, guiding individual aspirations and careers and instilling in his fellows a deep commitment to patient care. He helped found and was first president of the Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP), and he served on many committees for AMP, the College of American Pathologists and other professional organizations. Dr. Kant was also an elected fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Dr. Kant enjoyed traveling, particularly to Hawaii, and he loved playing with his grandchildren. He is survived by his wife, Julie; his sons, Benjamin (Sarah) and Peter (Laura Zajac); four children and three siblings.
Melvin Jeffrey Davis, M.D. ’87, died in a farming accident at his ranch in Samaria, Idaho. He graduated from Malad High School, and he attended Utah State University for one year before serving a two-year mission in Copenhagen, Denmark, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dr. Davis finished his undergraduate studies at Utah State University and attended medical school at the University of Washington. While in medical school, he married Lisa Cluff, later completing an anesthesiology residency at Letterman Medical Center in San Francisco.
Dr. Davis served in the U.S. Army for 11 years, and he and his family were stationed in Germany for four years before settling in Colorado Springs, Colo. He often traveled to the family homestead in Samaria, and farming was his passion. Like his late father, Dr. Davis was a gifted teacher, especially fond of teaching visitors about the tree and water projects on the ranch. He was also fiercely patriotic, an avid reader of history, active in his church and a devoted husband and father, known for his gentle love and concern for all the people in his life. Dr. Davis is survived by his wife, Lisa; four children: Emily Beth, Matthew Jeffrey, Erin Elizabeth and M. Joseph; his mother, Emma Louise Chambers; and his sister, Jacqueline Bowles.
Ellen C. Lyons, B.S. ’87, graduated Magna Cum Laude with a degree in medical technology. A beloved mother, wife, sister, daughter and friend, Ms. Lyons was a role model, graduating from college in her thirties. She moved to Alaska in 1969 and married her husband, Bruce, on Aug. 11, 1972. Soon thereafter, the couple went to California. Returning to Alaska in 1981, Ms. Lyons lived in Anchorage ever since, working at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage for 15 years. She enjoyed experimenting with art, using stained glass, glass fusing, beading, painting, photography and needlepoint; her beadwork was sold in an art gallery in Homer, Alaska, and she took joy in creating the “perfect” item for friends and family members. Ms. Lyons loved ocean waves and big redwood forests, and her heart was always in Mendocino, Calif., with fond memories of her parents and sister. She is survived by her husband of 40 years, Bruce Lyons; son and fiancée, Greg Lyons and Ophelia Yang; daughter and son in-law, Joanna Lyons-Antley and David Antley; and many other family members.
Naomi F. Sugar, M.D., Res. ’91, was the medical director of the Harborview Center for Sexual Assault and Traumatic Stress, lead physician at Harborview’s Foster Care Clinic, an attending at Harborview and Seattle Children’s, and clinical professor emeritus of pediatrics at the University of Washington. Dr. Sugar’s passion and career was focused on helping vulnerable children. Nationally recognized, throughout her career she took great pleasure in mentoring hundreds of professionals involved in child health and welfare.
Dr. Sugar attended University High School in Los Angeles, then University of California, Santa Cruz and SUNY Buffalo, where she received an M.A. in English literature. Medical school at the Medical College of Wisconsin was followed by a pediatrics residency at Pittsburgh Children’s Hospital and a fellowship in behavioral pediatrics at the University of Washington.
Dr. Sugar is survived by her husband, Eric Feldman; her children, Daniel and Deborah; and her siblings, Deborah and Jonathan.
Anne M. Mayton, O.T. ’95, received a BFA from Washington State University and a degree in occupational therapy from the University of Washington.
Gregory Foltz, M.D., Res. ’97, the founder and director of the Ben & Catherine Ivy Center for Advanced Brain Tumor Treatment at the Swedish Neuroscience Institute, a consummate collaborator and a highly admired physician and researcher, died last June after a four-year battle with pancreatic cancer.
Dr. Foltz was born June 14, 1963, in Kansas City, Mo., attended Washington University Medical School and completed a neurosurgery residency in Seattle at the University of Washington. He began his medical career at the University of Iowa College of Medicine as an assistant professor of neurosurgery and neurology, where he served as co-director of the neurogenomics research lab. Returning to Seattle, he became the director of the Ivy Center.
Dr. Foltz devoted his life to eradicating brain cancer, establishing research and biotech institutions in the Pacific Northwest and helping found the Seattle Brain Cancer Walk to raise critical funds to support brain cancer research. He was a principal founder of Neurosurgery International, a non-profit educational organization for young neurosurgeons from developing countries. In addition to his career in medicine, Dr. Foltz also was a talented concert pianist. He is survived by his wife, Dr. Luba Foltz, and his children, Clara and Benjamin, and many other family members, including his parents and siblings.
For further reading: The Seattle Times published an inspiring article on Dr. Foltz’s life and accomplishments on July 2, 2013.
Jonathan Bleyhl, M.S. ’06, died while on vacation in Europe.
Keong-Chye Cheah, M.D., was a clinical associate professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at UW Medicine. Born in Malaysia, he was selected to come to the United States in 1959 on a United States Information Agency scholarship to the University of Arkansas. He excelled academically and made the acquaintance of Gov. Winthrop Rockefeller of Arkansas; Dr. Cheah taught swimming to the Rockefeller children and their friends. The governor supported Dr. Cheah in his quest for an education, and, thanks to the Rockefeller family, he completed his education debt free. In 1967, Dr. Cheah graduated from medical school, and in 1968, he married his wife, Sandra. He completed a residency in psychiatry at the University of Arkansas, then went on to be a career resident with the Veterans Administration.
Dr. Cheah was a rising star with the Veterans Association, serving at a young age as chief of the addiction unit in North Little Rock then as chief of geriatric psychiatry at the Little Rock VA. In 1981, Dr. Cheah was appointed chief of psychiatry of the American Lake Division of the Puget Sound VA. He served in the Arkansas and Washington Army National Guard, retiring as a lieutenant colonel. He was also on the board of the American Lake Credit Union, and served as a hospital surveyor for the Joint Commission: Accreditation, Health Care, Certification. He achieved a great deal, including becoming a member of Phi Beta Kappa and a fellow in the American Psychiatric Association — and serving as president of the Ark Psychiatry Association. He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Sandra, his children Chylynn and Eric Hansel and Maylynn Leighton, two grandchildren, one great-grandchild, and numerous other family members.
Eldon L. Foltz, M.D., grew up in East Lansing, Mich., where his father was a professor of electrical engineering at Michigan State University. Dr. Foltz spent many happy summers as a camp counselor on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. He was an accomplished musician and played the flute and piccolo as a young man. Dr. Foltz graduated from Michigan State University in 1941 (B.S., Magna Cum Laude) and the University of Michigan Medical School in 1943 (M.D.). He married microbiologist Catherine Churchill Crosby in October 1943, and was promptly commissioned as a lieutenant into the U.S. Navy Corps. He was on active duty in the South Pacific Theater, including Iwo Jima and Okinawa, for 30 months. After one year of general surgery residency at the University of Michigan, Dr. Foltz became a graduate student in neuroanatomy and neuropathology. Neurosurgery residency at Dartmouth Medical School was followed by completion of a residency at the University of Louisville in 1950.
Dr. Foltz studied the limbic system while a post-doctoral fellow in the National Institute of Mental Health. With Dr. Arthur Ward, he developed selective frontal leucotomy cingulotomy at UW Medicine. He was awarded a John R. and Mary Markle Scholarship in Medical Science from 1954–1959 at UW Medicine, which helped him pursue his interest in academic neurosurgery. In 1965, Dr. Foltz became a professor in UW Medicine’s Department of Neurological Surgery; he also led the pediatric neurosurgery service at Seattle Children’s and became intensely interested in pediatric neurosurgery and hydrocephalus. Hydrocephalus became the focus of his clinical research career.
In 1969, Dr. Foltz accepted a position as the chair of neurosurgery at the School of Medicine at University of California, Irvine. He has held offices in the Western Neurosurgical Society, the Society of Neurological Surgeons, the Neurosurgical Society of America and the Society of Neurological Surgeons of Orange County.
One of Dr. Foltz’s favorite pastimes was sailboat racing on Lake Washington and competing while a member of the Capistrano Bay Yacht Club out of Dana Point, Calif., where he acquired 99 trophies. He loved to backpack and hike with his five children and family friends in the High Sierra. He also enjoyed tennis, photography, classical music, opera, the church choir, and dancing with Kay to 1940s swing music. He loved to talk and had a unique sense of humor.
Dr. Foltz is survived by one sibling, Elva Lea Clark, and his five children and their spouses: Sally Foltz (Charles Copeland), James Foltz (Nancy), Janis Foltz, Suzanne Foltz and Patty Foltz McCarty (Michael). He is also survived by five grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
E. S. C. (Sandy) Ford, M.D., graduated from the University of Kentucky and the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. He was a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II, serving as a flight surgeon, and was awarded the Bronze Star. While stationed in England, he met his first wife, Amelia, who was serving as a volunteer nurse associated with the Royal Air Force. They were married in Cairo, Egypt, and after they both completed their service commitments, they returned to the U.S. and began stateside married life in Louisville, Ky.
Dr. Ford completed his medical residency in psychiatry at Temple University in Philadelphia, and he went on to specialize in psychoanalysis. After establishing a successful career in psychiatry in Philadelphia, Dr. Ford moved his family to Mercer Island, Wash., in 1959. Throughout his career, Dr. Ford maintained a successful private practice, taught at the University of Washington, assisted in the training of area counselors, and served as a consultant for the federal court system in Seattle. He enjoyed his work so much that he did not formally retire until age 74.
Dr. Ford’s first wife passed away in 1988. He met his second wife, Joanne, while playing tennis, and they were happily married for 24 years: traveling the world together and sharing a love for dogs, especially English springer spaniels.
Dr. Ford is survived by his wife, Joanne; his children Sandra and Anthony (and daughter-in-law Renee); his step-children, Steve and Diana; and three grandchildren.
Gary K. Grenell, Ph.D., a noted Seattle psychoanalyst who enjoyed a parallel career as an art photographer, died from pancreatic cancer at his home in Green Lake, Seattle, surrounded by friends and family. Dr. Grenell served on the faculty of the Seattle Psychoanalytic Society & Institute (SPSI), and was a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Washington. He also served as chair of the faculty at Seattle Psychoanalytic Society and Institute from 1993–1996 and from 2004–2006. His seminar in the residency program, “Advanced Psychodynamic Psychotherapy,” was highly sought-after among psychiatric residents.
A successful art photographer, Dr. Grenell had his first exhibition in 1974, and was involved in 25 additional solo and group exhibitions during his career, including shows at Bumbershoot, Photo Center Northwest, the Portland Art Museum and Northwest Gallery, Fotocircle Gallery, all of Seattle, the Blue Sky Gallery in Portland, the Portland Art Museum and the Center for Photography at Woodstock in New York. His project, “Five Blocks to Green Lake,” was shown at Seattle City Hall, and seven photographs from the series reside in the permanent collection of the Houston Museum of Fine Arts.
Dr. Grenell was born in Brooklyn in 1954. At the age of three, he was diagnosed with Wilms’ tumor and subsequent lung metastases. His treatment at Sloan-Kettering with then-experimental chemotherapy and radiation therapies made it possible for children thereafter to be cured of Wilms’ tumor. Dr. Grenell’s family settled in Beverly Hills, Calif., in 1963. As a teen, he developed a strong interest in photography and the human potential movement, forces that would stay with him throughout life. After graduating from Beverly Hills High School in 1972, Dr. Grenell attended Santa Monica Community College and went on to earn an undergraduate degree in psychology from the University of Southern California.
Dr. Grenell received an M.A. in clinical psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology, and a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the United States International University. He did a pre-doctoral internship at University Hospitals of Cleveland through Case Western Reserve University’s Department of Psychiatry. Following his doctoral dissertation, Dr. Grenell completed formal post-doctoral training in psychoanalytic psychotherapy at the Wright Institute Postgraduate Center as well as training in child diagnostic assessment at the Reiss-Davis Child Study Center, both in Los Angeles.
In 1984, during the internship in Cleveland, Dr. Grenell met his future wife and the love of his life, Christine. In 1990, the Grenells moved to Seattle, where he set up a private clinical psychology practice. He also began his training in psychoanalysis at the SPSI, where he ultimately served on all the organization’s major committees, including the board. Dr. Grenell authored two papers published in the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association: “The Termination Phase of Psychoanalysis as Seen Through the Lens of the Dream” in 2002, and a seminal paper on the nature of dreams, “Affect Integration in Dreams and Dreaming,” in 2008.
Enthusiastic about each day, Dr. Grenell embodied a positive approach to life. He played as hard as he worked, and he felt compassion for those he encountered. Throughout his life, he was known for his honest, straightforward, and direct approach to interpersonal relationships. He loved above all being a father to his son, Noah, and a husband to Christine, for whom his love was boundless. Dr. Grenell is survived by his mother, Barbara Grenell, his wife, Christine, and his son, Noah Alfred Lewis Grenell, as well as his sisters: Abby Brown and Jennifer Ailes.
Donations may be made in Dr. Grenell’s name to UW Medical Center at: UW Medicine Advancement, Attn.: Gift Processing, Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045.
John W. Harrison, M.D., a retired rheumatologist, maintained a practice in Spokane for 30 years. He was an assistant clinical professor at the University of Washington School of Medicine.
Devora (Dolly) Turner approached life with creativity, enthusiasm and vigor, and her pursuits were diverse: she was an artist, a teacher, a lifelong student, a counselor, a real estate broker and a confidant. Her talents were boundless, whether she was teaching art to school children in Guam, molding raw clay into pottery, helping a client buy their first home or working with the Opera Guild.
Mrs. Turner had a passion for travel and shared her adventures with friends and family, and she was generous, loving and giving. She was strongly connected to the UW School of Medicine: her late husband, Leslie D. Turner, M.D. ’55, Int. ’56, was an alumnus, her father-in-law, Edward L. Turner, M.D., was the school’s founder, and Mrs. Turner supported scholarships for students. She truly made the most of her life and was an inspiration to those around her. Mrs. Turner is survived by her children and their spouses: Peter (Phyllis), Tony (Rebekah), and Daniel (Marguerite); three grandchildren, Alex, Lisa and Thomas; her sister, Arline, and brother, Leon (Denise).
Lesley C. Watson is remembered as an intelligent, strongly independent woman, both mentally and physically tough. She enjoyed a wonderful career at Costco. After retirement and the death of her husband, “Red” Watson, she moved into Horizon House in Seattle. There, Mrs. Watson served on the board, worked on many philanthropic causes and hosted wonderful parties. She fought against physical adversities, and her attitude inspired all who knew her.
Mrs. Watson died of heart complications at Harborview Medical Center, a place that she had generously supported for more than a decade. Her many friends will miss the joyfulness she brought into their lives. Mrs. Watson came from a large family, who loved her dearly, and she is survived by her brother, Jack Guile (Maureen), and her sisters, Janet MacKenzie (Gary) and Lynn Dufort (Ron) — as well as by many nieces and nephews. In her own words, she had “a fabulous life.”
Andrea B. (Bunny) Williams was born in Taunton, Mass., a descendant of Simon Newcomb, the 19th-century astronomer. She spent her high-school years in Philadelphia before graduating from Wellesley College in 1940. Growing up in the Depression instilled in her both strength and frugality. While working in the chemistry labs of Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, Mrs. Williams met a dashing young Southerner, Robert Hardin Williams, a rising star at Harvard Medical School. They were married in 1941 and lived in Boston until 1948, when Dr. Williams received a call from Seattle, asking him to become the first chair of the Department of Medicine at the University of Washington.
Dr. and Mrs. Williams made the trek to Seattle shortly thereafter, with their first two sons, Robert Lee Williams, born in 1943, and Hugh Harrison Williams, born in 1944, in tow. Their third son, Alan Brown Williams, was born a year later in 1949. While Dr. Williams was busy recruiting faculty members, Mrs. Williams and the wives of several other faculty members founded the Medical Faculty Wives Organization — now known as the Friends of the University of Washington School of Medicine — in 1949. Its purpose was to support the new school. As the first classes of medical students, residents and fellows arrived, Mrs. Williams became legendary for dinners at the Williams’ home in Laurelhurst, for picnics at the Laurelhurst Beach Club, and for volleyball games and rum punch at the family “cabin” on the Snoqualmie River.
Mrs. Williams was described as a strong mother, and her three boys — on the way to having successful careers in law, medicine and physics, respectively — fell out of trees and cars, occasionally launched a rock through a neighbor’s window, and accidentally set a vacant lot on fire. When they left for college, Mrs. Williams became very involved with St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Laurelhurst. She played an important role in recruiting an invigorating new rector, Dr. David Dunning, and in rejuvenating the parish as a whole.
In 1975, Dr. Williams was recognized by his admirers with the creation of an endowed chair to celebrate his life and work. He died four years later in 1979. Mrs. Williams lived more than 30 more years, travelling extensively and moving to the newly opened Emerald Heights Retirement Community in Redmond, Wash., in 1993. Far from content to “retire,” she joined numerous committees to help guide and improve the community. Surrounded by former friends from Wellesley and the University of Washington School of Medicine and by newly acquired friends, she was known for her stoic New England wit, her devotion to her friends and family and her great love of martini hour. In her final years, she exhibited extraordinary strength and grace in dealing with the challenges of old age — she was in and out of hospitals and rehab centers, and nurses, aides and doctors alike adored her. She is survived by her three sons and their wives, Petra, Kathy and Mary Cay, five grandchildren and other family members.
Donations in memory of Mrs. Williams may be made to the Friends of the UW School of Medicine Founders Scholarship.