cLASSnOTES

1950s | 1960s| 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2000s | 2010–today

New job, award, move or family addition? Your classmates want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re doing.

Philip O. Haines, M.D. ’71, writes, “I’m a diagnostic radiologist in Sacramento, working full-time with Dignity Health as a member/owner of Mercy Radiology Group.”

Warren H. Toews, M.D. ’71, writes, “Retired from practice in Denver in late 2005. About to enter year eight of working for Seattle Children’s as a pediatric cardiologist. For the past year and a half, I have worked several days a month in regional and outreach clinics.”

John C. Newsom, M.D. ’72, writes, “I have been elected president of the 952-member medical staff at St. Mary Medical Center in Langhorne, Pa. I continue my solo family medicine practice at Newsom Care.”

Fred Silverstein, M.D., Res. ’72 (internal medicine), was named UW Medicine’s 2013 Inventor of the Year. Silverstein was selected for his contribution to the invention and development of a variety of medical devices that have positively affected the practice of gastroenterology worldwide. Richard Crone, M.D. ’73, writes, “I’m now serving as the director of cardiac services and director of the cardiac cath lab at Providence Newburg Medical Center in Newburg, Ore.”

Adolphus C. Favors, Jr., M.D. ’73, writes, “Married to my wife, Velma, for nearly 45 years. I have two beautiful daughters, Stephanie and Latechia. I’m board-certified in internal medicine and medical oncology. I continue to practice internal medicine in St. Louis, Mo.”

Frederick A. Matsen III, M.D., Res. ’74 (orthopaedics), met a major milestone: 300,000 views of his Shoulder Arthritis and Rotator Cuff Tears advice blog. Dr. Matsen, UW professor in the Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, began the blog in March 2011.

Fred J. “Gino” Gianola, PA-C (Seattle Class 8) (1976), is on the MEDEX Seattle didactic faculty, and he recently received his master’s degree in bioethics from the UW School of Medicine. This is all on point for Gianola, who teaches Professionalism, Ethics and Basic Research Integrity. “If you can define an ethical problem in two sentences, the likelihood of you being able to address it will be much easier,” he says. “Somebody said the other night, ‘This is lifelong learning.’ Little did I figure that, at 66+, I’d be going back to school. Even though my fellow students were younger than my youngest child, and all my professors were younger than me, I realized I could still learn. I think lifelong learning, especially in the PA profession, is something we have to do.”

Benjamin A. Lipsky, M.D., FACP, FIDSA, FRCP, Res. ’76 (internal medicine), Chief Res. ’77 (internal medicine), Fel. ’78 (internal medicine), writes, “I retired from the UW Department of Medicine faculty after 35 years and have been working at the University of Oxford since June 2012. I was the deputy director of the graduate entry course and am now a teaching fellow at the University’s Green Templeton College and a member of the UK’s Independent Scientific Advisory Committee. I was appointed visiting professor of medicine (infectious diseases) at the University of Geneva, where I am helping to set up a bone and joint infection clinical research program.”

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington