cLASSnOTES

1950s | 1960s| 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2000s | 2010–today

New job, award, move or family addition? Your classmates want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re doing.

Ted Epperly, M.D. ’80, FAAFP, has been chosen as the recipient of the 2014 Idaho WWAMI Alumni Award for Excellence in Mentoring, Teaching, Leadership and Patient Care.

Marc Hawkins, PA-C (Seattle Class 13) (1980), joined the faculty of MEDEX Northwest after 38 years (33 as a PA) with the U.S. Coast Guard, where he served in a medical administrative position. “I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to come back to the MEDEX program and to begin teaching and working with students,” he says. In his job as a clinical coordinator, Hawkins is tasked with placing second-year students in their clinical rotations. This is a job that Hawkins shares with three other regional clinical coordinators, and the task is daunting. Together, they must place 134 MEDEX students in nine rotations each across 500 clinical sites — work that involves 1,000 preceptors. But Hawkins rises to the challenge with the determination of someone with strong military training. “To do this well — and make sure we meet everybody’s needs — can be a challenge,” he says. “But I relish the opportunity, and I know that we manage to meet those needs.”

Darrel L. Kauffman, M.D. ’81, is a practicing orthopaedic surgeon for Samaritan Health Services in Corvallis, Ore.

Janis L. Abkowitz, M.D., Res. ’82, Fel. ’83 (hematology), the head of the Division of Hematology at UW Medicine, has been named a member of the Institute of Medicine. Abkowitz
holds the Clement A. Finch, M.D. Endowed Professorship in Hematology.

Scott Barnhart, M.D., Res. ’82 (internal medicine), Fel. ’84 (pulmonary critical care), writes, “I’m currently working with colleagues from UW and Makerere University, the Ministry of Health in Uganda and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to finish a study of whether the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) strengthened or weakened the non-HIV health system. We are also preparing a large program to provide male circumcision services in Zimbabwe. In South Africa, we have a large prevention program where we work closely with communities to learn about their health needs and then provide screening for HIV and other chronic diseases.” (Photo: Scott Barnhart, M.D., Res. ’82, Fel. ’84 (back row, far right), is part of a team that’s implementing an HIV and chronic disease prevention program in South Africa.)

Dale P. Reisner, M.D. ’82, was elected president of the Washington State Medical Association (WSMA) in September. Reisner is a maternal-fetal medicine physician. See photo at right.

Justin P. Smith, M.D. ’82, Res. ’89 (nuclear medicine), writes, “I am a health policy fellow with Sen. Ron Wyden (Oregon) in Washington, D.C., and I will complete my master’s degree in political management in August 2014 at George Washington University.”

Andrew S. Weeks, M.D. ’82, writes, “When the hospitalists came to town, I joined them, initially part-time, now fulltime. After 30 years of office practice in union settings, I find I like the simplicity of the hospital best at this point in my career.”

Janet Allen, M.D., Res. ’84 (pathology), writes, “After nearly 12 years with the Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, I have finally retired at age 75.”

David (D. C.) Dugdale, M.D., Res. ’85 (internal medicine), UW professor of medicine and director of Hall Health, has been appointed medical director for care management for UW Medicine.

Scott A. Fields, M.D. ’86, writes, “I am the vice chairman of the Department of Family Medicine for the Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine.”

Jane Lester, M.D. ’86, Res. ’90 (pediatrics), was awarded the Everett Clinic’s 2013 Patient’s Choice Award. When Everett Clinic patients were asked to nominate a provider who made a significant difference in their lives, one of Lester’s patients described her as “an amazing doctor, the best of the best.”

Thomas M. Slyter, M.D. ’86, writes, “I’m a retired U.S. Air Force colonel, contract flight surgeon at Joint Base Lewis-McCord.”

Michael G. McNamara, M.D. ’87, writes, “I’m a hand, elbow and shoulder surgeon in Anchorage, Alaska. My daughter Kristin, 24 years old, works in my office; Shannon, 19 years old, is at Whitworth University; and Jake, 17 years old, is in high school.”

Annie Murphy, M.D. ’87, writes, “I am an oncologist at Jefferson Healthcare in Port Townsend, Wash.”

Terry Massagli, M.D., Res. ’88 (physical and rehabilitation medicine), UW professor of rehabilitation medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation residency program director, received the Distinguished Member Award from the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.

Christopher Huston, M.D., Res. ’89 (rehabilitation medicine), writes, “Currently in my 18th year with the Orthopedic Clinic Association, Phoenix, and seventh year as the TOCA Interventional Spine Fellowship director. I am also the spine consultant for the Phoenix Suns (NBA) and Mercury (WNBA) and local consultant for the Milwaukee Brewers. I enjoy the challenges and constant learning that new interventional spine fellows bring each year.”

Marshall Horwitz, M.D. ’90, Ph.D. ’88 (pathology), Res. ’92 (internal medicine), helped lead a research team to find an aberrant gene which causes the most common childhood
cancer in the world, pre-B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia or ALL.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington