TRANSFORMATION

Through precision medicine, alumni commitment and more

Paul G. Ramsey, M.D.
Photo: Clare McLean

In my recent annual address to the UW Medicine community, I discussed the many changes occurring in healthcare nationwide and the ways in which we are leading many of these changes. Our ability to transform and grow as an institution is possible thanks to a prevalent ethic of continuous improvement. It is a great pleasure to work with the 25,000 members of the UW Medicine community who demonstrate a strong commitment to improving the health of the public through the excellence of their daily work. If you would like to learn more about that work, you can view my address — and additional videos shown during the talk.

One of the research topics I discussed in my address — precision medicine — is also one of the features in this issue of UW Medicine. It is a powerful research area based on optimizing individual healthcare treatment through disease-specific molecular drivers. Precision medicine, including genome-based guidance for prevention, diagnosis and treatment, has enormous potential to change the practice of medicine over the coming years. I am very excited about UW Medicine’s leadership in this area, focused within the UW Medicine Center for Precision Diagnostics. I urge you to read the articles about precision medicine in this issue and learn about one of the most exciting areas in medicine.

In considering UW Medicine’s influence, I had the pleasure in my address of talking about the dramatic reach of UW Medicine through our alumni. The alumni relations office developed a map of the United States that portrays the number of graduates of the School of Medicine in each of the 50 states (see page 24). More than 12,000 graduates from our M.D., residency and fellowship training, MEDEX Northwest, Ph.D., M.S. and B.S. programs are located in Washington. Another 1,700+ graduates are located in the other four WWAMI states of Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho. The impact of the more than 23,000 graduates throughout the United States is profound.

Thank you to all of our alumni, located throughout the region, nation and world, for your commitment!

Sincerely,

Signature of Paul G. Ramsey, M.D.

Paul G. Ramsey, M.D.
CEO, UW Medicine
Executive Vice President for Medical Affairs and
Dean of the School of Medicine,
University of Washington

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu

Seattle, Washington