PassagesOur Friends, Remembered

Below we pay tribute to recently deceased alumni, faculty, students and friends. Because we are not always aware of deaths in the larger UW Medicine community, we gratefully accept your notifications. Our sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones.



Faculty and Former Faculty



Louis F. Michalek, M.D. ’50

Born Oct. 25, 1922, in Ipswich, S.D.
Died Oct. 13, 2014

Dr. Louis F. Michalek was the first American-born child of his parents, Bohemian immigrants, and he came to America with his sister and brother. Growing up, Dr. Michalek worked on South Dakota farms until he was 19 years old. Then he began work as a pharmacy apprentice for Cornwell Drug in Webster, S.D. He was a member of the UW School of Medicine’s first class, receiving his M.D. in 1950. While in school, he also worked at Bartell Drugs in Seattle.

After graduating from medical school, he trained at Ancker Hospital in Saint Paul, Minn., and, by age 29, he was an associate professor at South Dakota University School of Pharmacology. He met his wife, Leona, in a Minnesota hospital while he was delivering pharmaceuticals; she was having her appendix removed. Afterwards she and her nursing friends visited the Cornell drugstore where he worked to “pester” him. They married while he was in medical school. Dr. Michalek served as a U.S. Army first lieutenant (medical officer) in Fort Riley, Kansas, during the Korean War. When he returned, he started a medical practice in Roseburg, Ore.

Dr. Michalek was a licensed pharmacist for 15 years and a licensed physician for 55 years in Oregon and Minnesota. He was a member and past president of the Douglas Community Medical Center, chairing the polio vaccine drive in 1958. He also was a long-time member of the Mercy Hospital staff and the medical director for Grandview Nursing Home. Dr. Michalek served 15 years as the team physician for Roseburg High School’s football team and five years as the Douglas County Rodeo doctor; he also served on the Douglas County Boxing and Wrestling Commission. Dr. Michalek was appointed by Oregon Governor Robert Holms to the Oregon State Industrial Accident Commission and to the Douglas County Welfare Commission. He retired in 1990 at the age of 67.

Dr. Michalek also was a member of the American Association of University Professors, the Oregon State Medical Association, the American Medical Association and the Rho Chi Society. In addition to his work, Dr. Michalek loved the outdoors: fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, photographing and scouting. He was a member of the Roseburg Rod and Gun Club and the Umpqua Fisherman’s Association, in addition to serving as a member and president of the YMCA, and he was a member of the Faith Lutheran Church.

Dr. Michalek was a devoted physician and surgeon, and he loved his wife and boys. He is survived by two sisters: Lydia and Helen; three sons: Jim, Tom and Bill; four grandchildren: Kristin, Dustin, Allison and Thea; and four great-grandchildren, several cousins and other family members and friends.

Jonathan B. Torrance, M.D. ’50

Born Oct. 11, 1923
Died April 2, 2013

Edmund Gray, M.D. ’53

Born Nov. 9, 1928, in Colville, Wash.
Died Dec. 19, 2014

Dr. Edmund Wesley Gray, a long-time Colville primary-care physician, conducted a medical internship at Indianapolis General Hospital in Indianapolis, Ind., and concurrently served time in the Air Force Medical Corps, earning the rank of captain. He finished military service in 1956 and returned to Colville to pick up his father’s medical practice. Through the 1960s and 1970s, he was very active in civic affairs, including serving on the Colville City Council and participating in the Elks, the chamber of commerce and the Mount Carmel Hospital Foundation.

In 1960, Colville Mayor Phil Sax hired Dr. Gray to serve as the city’s health officer. Thus began his role in public health, especially rural public health, and he played a significant role in local healthcare. Dr. Gray advanced through Washington State Medical Association leadership to become president in the days of tort reform. He was integral to the creation of Washington’s first basic health insurance program and was recognized by Gonzaga University, the University of Washington, Providence Health Systems and the Nathan Davis Foundation for his vision, leadership and dedication to others. He is survived by his wife, Jane (married for 61 years) and his children: Tim (Roween), Sally (Bill Juzeler), Terry (Sue), and five grandchildren.

Carrol W. “Wannie” Nellermoe, M.D. ’53

Born Nov. 2, 1926, in Fargo, N.D.
Died June 6, 2014, in Gig Harbor, Wash.

After graduating from Fargo High School, Dr. Carrol Nellermoe served in the U.S. Navy as an electronic technician’s mate, third class, from 1944 to 1946. He attended North Dakota Agricultural College for a year and earned a B.S. from Washington State University in 1949.

After college, he entered medical school at the University of Washington in Seattle, where he met his future wife, Nora Conway. They married in 1952. After earning an M.D. in 1953, Dr. Nellermoe re-enlisted in the U.S. Navy, where he completed his internship and flight surgeon school. He served as a flight surgeon until 1957.

Dr. Nellermoe then completed a two-year residency in anesthesia at Virginia Mason Hospital. He practiced anesthesiology for a year in Fargo, N.D., before settling in Spokane, Wash., in 1960, where he practiced for the next 28 years. After retiring in 1988, he and Nora lived in many places, including Oak Harbor, Wash.; Scottsdale, Ariz.; Honolulu, Hawaii; and Gig Harbor, Wash.

Dr. Nellermoe enjoyed reading, boating, skiing, traveling and gardening. He loved challenging people with his extensive vocabulary and started his daughters early in the practice of having a dictionary at the dinner table.

He is survived by his wife, Nora, and his four daughters: Leslie, Kathleen (Kevin Silvers), Karen (Tim Chase), and Patricia (Tom Byers), as well as five grandchildren: Devin, Margaret and Reilly McKissic, and Kathryn and Michael Chase. Dr. Nellermoe is also survived by his sister, Jean (Darrol Schroeder), many nieces, nephews and dear friends.

Arthur R. Griffin, M.D. ’55, Res. ’62 (radiology)

Born Jan. 28, 1929, in Seattle, Wash.
Died Jan. 18, 2015

Dr. Arthur R. Griffin completed an undergraduate degree at the University of Washington, where he was a member of Phi Delta Theta and a junior varsity coxswain in 1950–51. After completing medical school, he did an internship and residency at Minneapolis General Hospital; then, after two years in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant commander, he returned to Seattle to complete a three-year residency in radiology. Dr. Griffin practiced radiology at Providence Hospital and had a downtown Seattle practice.

Dr. Griffin loved spending time on San Juan Island. He also enjoyed taking history classes, orcharding, gardening, fishing, woodworking and woodcarving. He died of heart disease, and he is survived by his wife of 63 years, Mary Louise Mulhern Griffin, and eight children: Art, Charlie, Christopher (Kirsti), Monica (Mark Howard), Mary (Greg Bennett), Anne (Peter Eckmann), Catherine (John Rogers), and Margaret. He is also survived by his twin brother, Tren Griffin, M.D. ’55, Res. ’58, ’67, ’69, and 14 grandchildren.

Walter Daryl “Bill” Kelsch, M.D. ’55

Born Aug. 7, 1925, in Glendive, Mont.
Died June 5, 2014

Dr. Walter Daryl Kelsch grew up delivering papers, riding the railroad and climbing trees to build his eggshell collection. After graduating from Dawson County High School, Dr. Kelsch attended the University of Montana. His studies were interrupted by service in the U.S. Navy during the war in the Pacific.

After the war, Dr. Kelsch returned to the University of Montana to earn both a B.A. and B.S. While working at Northern Pacific Hospital in Missoula, Mont., he met the love of his life, Phyllis. They were married in 1950 and moved to North Dakota, where he earned an M.A. in chemistry. He continued his studies at the University of Washington, receiving an M.D. in 1955. He later specialized in anesthesiology.

Dr. Kelsch was a founding member of Anesthesia Associates of Spokane. An eminently practical man, he was devoted to his family and his gardening, passing on his love for the earth to his children and grandchildren. His curiosity about the world in which he lived was enriched by extensive traveling with Phyllis, by reading, and by taking classes at local colleges and other venues. He was an avid golfer, and he played bridge, cribbage and poker with his family and friends. He also was a member of the Spokane Elks Lodge, the Indian Canyon Golf Club and Central Methodist Church.

Dr. Kelsch is survived by his sister, Donna (Don Wright), and four children: Barbara (Norman Fortunate), Patty (Douglas Bartholomew), Lt. Col. (ret.) Steven (Col. Sue Fraser), and Judy. He also is survived by eight grandchildren, and Olivia, his great-granddaughter.

Peter P. Cervoni, Ph.D. ’57 (pharmacology)

Born March 4, 1931
Died May 11, 2014, in New Rochelle, N.Y.

Wilbur Robert Peterson, M.D. ’59, Res. ’62

James A. Reid, M.D., Res. ’60 (internal medicine)

Born July 12, 1926, in Newton, Mass.
Died Aug. 6, 2014, in Yarrow Point, Wash.

A dedicated and respected physician known for his diagnostic acumen and his bowties, Dr. James Reid was foremost a family man. Raised in the Northeast, Dr. Reid and his family’s life flourished in the Pacific Northwest. He died peacefully on Yarrow Point in his home of 50 years. His wife of 61 years, Libby, was by his side.

Lloyd W. Rudy, Jr., M.D. ’60

Born June 21, 1934, in Spokane, Wash.
Died April 22, 2012, in Spokane, Wash.

Dr. Lloyd W. Rudy, Jr., grew up in Wenatchee, Wash., and attended Wenatchee High School, Washington State University, and the University of Washington School of Medicine. He was inspired by his uncle, Dr. Leslie Hildebrand, a physician and war veteran. Dr. Rudy completed a medical internship and residency at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) Medical Center. He was then called to serve as a physician in the army in Vietnam, earning the rank of captain. He saved the lives of countless soldiers under his care.

Upon returning from the war, Dr. Rudy became a board-certified cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon and taught and researched at UCSF School of Medicine. Later, he was dean of the heart program at the University of Georgia School of Medicine. Dr. Rudy was the youngest member of the first heart transplant team at Stanford University.

Dr. Rudy entered private practice in Spokane, Wash., as a heart and lung surgeon. He was a pioneer in quantifying surgical procedures that drastically increased the survival rate of heart patients. He received national and worldwide attention for these procedures, which led to an appearance on the television show 60 Minutes and speaking engagements around the world.

After practicing medicine for decades at Sacred Heart and Deaconess Hospitals in Spokane — and showing a special bedside manner, compassion and humor for his patients — he was called to Great Falls, Mont., to start a heart surgery program. A grateful group of patients established the Dr. Lloyd Rudy, Jr. Fan Club, and Montana’s governor dedicated a day in August in his honor.

In retirement, Dr. Rudy continued giving his time as a medical liaison for the Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention Clinic, traveling and speaking about the connection between dental and heart health. He most enjoyed his time at his Priest Lake cabin, a place he truly loved. Walking his dogs, skiing, reading and being with his family is how he filled his days. Dr. Rudy had an immense energy and a love for life that is truly rare.

Dr. Rudy is survived by his wife, Kathi, his twin brother, Leslie, and his children: Kelly, Scott, Kurt, Brett, Kristin and Alex; and grandchildren Tucker and Grace.

George J. Kenney, M.D. ’61, Res. ’66 (radiology)

July 9, 1935
Dec. 14, 2014, in Gig Harbor, Wash.

R. Guilford Fitz, Jr., M.D. ’62

Born June 7, 1931, in China
Died Sept. 29, 2014, in Redding, Calif.

Dr. R. Guilford “Guil” Fitz, Jr., was born at the Nazarene Mission Hospital in China, where his parents were stationed as missionaries. He was younger brother to three sisters: Elizabeth, Irma and Maxine.

In 1946, Dr. Fitz moved to Alaska, where his parents homesteaded a potato farm. He went to college in Idaho, where he met his wife, Doris. After being ordained as a Nazarene minister, he attended medical school at the University of Washington and married Doris in summer 1958. Post-residency, he moved to Redding, Calif., and worked one year at Shasta General Hospital before he and his wife moved to South Africa for five years. They returned to Redding, Calif., to raise their four children, and Dr. Fitz eventually opened his own practice in 1976.

Many came to love Dr. Fitz’s smile, singing, joviality, compassion and fiery red hair. He enjoyed nature and capturing it on film. He was completely devoted to his wife of 56 years and was frequently seen at his children’s events, boisterously cheering louder than most. He was an avid reader of scripture and other literature, and he loved to sing. Dr. Fitz was well known for singing to his patients and throughout the hospitals. He did everything with a gusto and passion that was contagious. People loved to be around him.

Dr. Fitz is survived by his wife, Doris, daughters Karla (William Moore), Diana, and Linda (Eric Zane), son Bryan (Destiny), grandchildren Andy Zane, Noelle Moore, Izaac Fitz Norman, Kirstin Davis, Luke Zane, Abby Moore, Jonathan Zane, Tyler Davis, Mari Zane and Tesla Fitz, and his sister, Maxine.

John W. Combs, M.D. ’64, Res. ’65 (pathology), Ph.D.

Born April 11, 1933, in LaGrande, Ore.
Died Sept. 11, 2014, in Portland, Ore.

Dr. John W. Combs grew up in LaGrande, Ore., and graduated from LaGrande High School. His father was a choir director at the local LDS church, and his mother was the church organist and a piano teacher. From his parents, he developed a deep love of music and familiarity with classical music. Dr. Combs played tuba in high school; later he played guitar. He spent summers working on his Aunt Frankie’s farm and at a brickyard. He earned very good grades but was known for being a bit mischievous.

Dr. Combs served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War as a lieutenant from 1955 to 1959. Despite having participated in ROTC while in college at the University of Washington, he chose to take a regular commission in the Army Infantry. Dr. Combs was stationed in Nuremburg, Germany, where he put his undergraduate degree in German language and literature to good use. He interpreted at official state events and had the opportunity to visit historic sites not open to the public.

Dr. Combs attended and graduated from the University of Washington School of Medicine, earning an M.D in 1964. He then completed a one-year residency in pathology, a fellowship in pathology, and received the Sheard Sanford Award. He then earned a Ph.D. in experimental pathology, also at the UW School of Medicine, using an electron microscope to study mast cells.

Dr. Combs went on to serve as a much respected pathology professor and cancer researcher, first at Pennsylvania State University Medical School, then at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. His career highlights included developing an automated color-sensitive microscope, developing an automated microscope system for species differentiation of malarial parasites, and studying tracheal and esophageal epithelia. He later worked under a grant from NASA to develop a completely automated clinical laboratory system to fit within a volume of three cubic feet and an automated specimen collection system. He was a member of the Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers and the American Institute for Cell Biology.

Dr. Combs exchanged wedding vows with Rose Christopherson in a cornfield at sunset in Stone Valley, Penn., in 1974. They met in Hershey Medical School in Pennsylvania, where Dr. Combs was working as a professor of pathology and Rose was an interim humanities instructor. It was love at first sight. Throughout their 40-year marriage they remained best friends, steadfastly in love.

Dr. Combs had many interests. He pursued oceanic diving off Puget Sound using home-fashioned diving equipment. He and Rose built a dome house in Hershey. He enjoyed woodworking, fishing and hiking. He wrote extensively, including poetry and a novel about pre-Columbian Mesoamerica. Dr. Combs played the steel guitar, and he helped found the Seattle Folklore Society. He also practiced Isshinryu karate for 17 years, earning a sixth-degree black belt. More than anything, he enjoyed seeking and sharing knowledge.

Dr. Combs and Rose moved to Portland, Ore., in 1996 to be closer to their daughters, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, his sister and mother, and many friends. He is survived by his loving wife, Rose; daughters Ann, Janine and Heidi (Barrett Combs); sisters Nancy, Ruth (Wayne Edvalson), and Beth Dorney; grandchildren Mary (Spencer Seaquist), Annie (Tang Harlan), April Salsburg and Brian Salsburg; and many great-grandchildren, nieces, nephews and friends.

Alan Konker, M.D. ’67

Robert T. Schaller, Jr., M.D., Res. ’69 (general surgery)

Born Oct. 15, 1934, in Hamburg, N.Y.
Died Dec. 7, 2014, in Kirkland, Wash.

Dr. Robert T. Schaller, Jr., attended Yale University, was captain of the track team and nearly broke the four-minute-mile barrier. After medical school at Harvard, he moved to Seattle for his residency. Dr. Schaller was a gifted pediatric surgeon, conducting thousands of surgical procedures at Seattle Children’s, where he pioneered new surgical techniques and saved many lives. Dr. Schaller’s energy and enthusiasm for his work was infectious, and he inspired many residents to pursue a career in pediatric surgery.

He was an avid photographer, taking countless photos of his operative cases, used in his lectures. Dr. Schaller also was an accomplished mountain climber who made numerous ascents of Mount Rainier and many other mountains in the Cascades, Olympics and in Alaska. During his residency in the 1960s, in fact, he was involved in an effort by the CIA which took him to the Himalayas, and he made a solo ascent of Nanda Devi (25,643 feet) in 1966, a major achievement. His climbing career culminated in being one of the founding climbers and the team physician for successful American expeditions to K2 in 1975 and 1978. Dr. Schaller is survived by seven children, three grandchildren, his wife, Theresa, and his younger brother, Chris.

Donald Eugene Simmons, M.D. ’71

Margery L. Dickinson, O.T. ’72, MPA

Born 1938, in Great Falls, Mont.
Died Sept. 15, 2013

Margery L. Hurst was second-eldest of four sisters. At age 7, her family moved to Richland, Va. The following Sunday, they went to their first service at Central United Protestant church. Mrs. Dickinson attended Central Church for the rest of her life and sang in the choir for 39 years. It was there that she met Dean Dickinson, her future husband. However, before they married, Mrs. Dickinson moved to Seattle. She worked as a secretary and then earned a degree in occupational therapy from the University of Washington. She also earned her pilot’s license and took up folk dancing and target shooting.

Ten years after they first met, Mrs. Dickinson and Dean re-connected. They married in 1972, and Mrs. Dickinson moved back to Richland. Six years later, they had a son, Evan.

In 1979, Mrs. Dickinson joined the League of Women Voters. Her interest in public policy grew, and she returned to the University of Washington, receiving a master’s degree in public administration in 1988. In 1993, Mrs. Dickinson ran for Richland City Council, receiving 40 percent of the vote.

After retirement, Mrs. Dickinson became an advocate for prisoners, helping inmates with their legal needs and after abuse from guards. She was a strong advocate for improving current practices in prisons while encouraging alternatives to incarceration. She did all of this while lovingly caring for her husband, Dean, who faced a prolonged illness.

Mrs. Dickinson is survived by her son, Evan Dickinson, and two of her sisters, Susan Hurst and Mary Hurst Palmquist.

Terrence Hughes Gleason, M.D., Res. ’72 (pathology)

Born Nov. 18, 1936, in Endicott, N.Y.
Died Oct. 22, 2014, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. Terrence H. Gleason grew up in San Francisco, Calif., and attended Jesuit High School in New Orleans. He was a star basketball player and earned a four-year athletic scholarship to the University of San Francisco (USF), where he was a member of the national championship basketball team. He ultimately quit basketball and took up tennis so he could attend science labs and pursue a career in medicine.

Dr. Gleason graduated from USF with a B.S. in chemistry and went on to attend UCSF. As a naval reservist, he traveled to Bremerton, Wash., during his senior year of medical school. On this trip, he attended the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair and met the love his life, Helen Navone, at the Hilton’s Oyster Stew Bar. After they wed in 1963, they moved to Chicago, where Dr. Gleason conducted a residency in internal medicine at Cook County Hospital. He then returned to the Northwest, changed his field of specialty to pathology and completed a residency at the University of Oregon. He went on to become an oncology fellow at the University of Washington, where he also taught in his later years.

Dr. Gleason was passionate about medicine and practiced for many years at Cabrini Hospital and Providence Hospital in Seattle. He served in the Navy Reserve as a captain for more than 30 years. And Dr. Gleason was also a founding member of the West Highland Poetry Society, where he enjoyed some of his closest friendships.

Dr. Gleason had a rich retirement filled with traveling, studying Italian and poetry, gardening, and enjoying the company of his wife, children, grandchildren and friends. He was a man of deep faith and intellect, and he was always willing to avail himself to anyone in need.

Dr. Gleason is survived by Helen, his loving wife of 51 years; six children, Tom (Lisa), Jennifer (Mike Hyde), Juliet (Stephen Roger), Mary-Bridget (Tom Pehl), Annie Gleason (John Hilton), and Terrence Gleason, Jr. (Franciara); 12 grandchildren; his brother, Daniel Gleason (Chris); his large extended family and many friends.

James T. Kilduff, M.D., Res. ’72 (urology)

Born Nov. 12, 1936, in Detroit, Mich.
Died Aug. 28, 2014, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. James Thomas Kilduff was a graduate of many fine institutions: Wayne State University, the U.S. Army, the University of Michigan, and, finally, the Wayne State School of Medicine in 1967. He fine-tuned his craft in surgery and urology with residencies at Swedish Hospital and the University of Washington.

Dr. Kilduff started Kitsap Urology Associates in Bremerton, Wash., and worked at Harrison Memorial Hospital from 1974 until 2000, where he “saved lives and stamped out disease” during a long medical career. Later he served as president of the Washington State Medical Association. At the University of Washington he was a clinical instructor and an associate professor of urology, and he was granted emeritus status.

Dr. Kilduff was an epic practical joker. He was also well-known for being stubborn and refusing to follow doctor’s orders. He was an expert story teller, a food lover, and, at times, a great chef. His laughter and well-timed jokes will be missed.

Dr. Kilduff married Mary Jane (Stibich) Kilduff in Detroit, Mich., on May 27, 1966, and together they celebrated 48 years of adventure. Dr. Kilduff is survived by his loving wife, Mary Jane, and their three children: Kevin, Kirsten and Brian; two grandsons: James and William; and his sister, Mary Carol Speier.

Charles E. Phillips, PA-C (Seattle Class 2)

Born Aug. 22, 1931, in Wilmington, Del.
Died May 4, 2014

Charles E. Phillips, fondly known as Phil, was a man of faith, defined by a lifetime of service to his family, his country, his numerous friends and his patients. He attended schools in Wilmington, Del., excelled in academics, and enjoyed playing on the school baseball and basketball teams.

Upon graduation from high school, Mr. Phillips enlisted in the U.S. Air Force. He had 21 years of honorable, loyal and distinguished military service as a medic, and he retired in 1970. He began basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. Mr. Phillips was stationed at a number of air force bases, including Donaldson Air Force Base in Greenville, S.C., and air force bases around the world: Okinawa, Japan; Laon, France; Ubon, Thailand; and Satellite Beach, Fla. He retired at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia. Mr. Phillips wrote letters regularly to his wife and family while he was away serving his country. He also took on extra jobs to support his family while in the service, working in the base movie theater and selling pots and pans and shoes.

Upon retirement, Mr. Phillips was the first Black student to enter the MEDEX Physician Assistant training program at the University of Washington, and he graduated in 1971. He began his second career as a physician assistant at Group Health Cooperative, Northgate Medical Center, where he remained for the next 20 years. He was loved by the patients, the staff and all with whom he came in contact.

Mr. Phillips was a faithful member of Epiphany Parish of Seattle (Episcopal) for more than 42 years. He attended church regularly with his wife and family members and served on various committees. He loved to bowl, and he was on many bowling teams and leagues. He also was an active player on a men’s recreational softball league until age 50. Mr. Phillips traveled throughout the world with his family. One of his favorite activities involved packing up his van and traveling to the East Coast every summer, visiting family members and friends along the way and stopping at various military bases. He enjoyed the solitude and the wide open spaces of cross-country travel. He was well known as teller of many jokes, and he always kept everyone laughing.

Mr. Phillips was a proud alumnus of the University of Washington and a Husky football season ticket holder. He was an avid hometown sports enthusiast and loyally followed the Mariners and the Seahawks. Mr. Phillips’ upbeat, positive spirit, robust sense of humor and infectious laughter will be deeply missed by all who loved and knew him.

Mr. Phillips is survived by his wife, Genelle Tolliver Phillips; his daughters, Lyndelle, Andrea and Eleanor (Jackie Nelson); his son, Supee (Tasha), and Dr. Samuel R. Pettis, Jr. (like a son). He also is survived by five grandchildren and four great grandchildren, his brothers, Robert, William and Rodney Pritchett, and his sister, Delores Pritchett Thomas, as well as a host of nieces and nephews.

Roger A. Rosenblatt, M.D., Res. ’72, ’74 (family medicine), MPH, MFR

Born Aug. 8, 1945, in Denver, Colo.
Died Dec. 12, 2014

After graduation from Harvard Medical School, Dr. Roger Rosenblatt moved to Seattle, where he became the first family medicine resident at the University of Washington. In 1974, Dr. Rosenblatt joined the U.S. Public Health Service to help launch the National Health Service Corps, sparking his lifelong commitment to care for rural and underserved areas.

His life’s goal was to leave the world a better place, and he devoted his 43 years at UW to that pursuit. He was professor and vice chair in the Department of Family Medicine and an adjunct professor in the Department of Health Services, the Department of Global Health and the College of Forest Resources. Dr. Rosenblatt parlayed his passion for helping vulnerable populations through the development of the Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho (WWAMI) Rural Health Research Center and the Rural/Underserved Opportunities Program for medical students.

In 1987, Dr. Rosenblatt was one of the first family physicians to be elected as a member of the Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences. He received many awards, including the Hames Research Award, the Primary Care Achievement Award, the Educator of the Year Award (from the Washington Academy of Family Physicians) and the Mary Selecky Distinguished Service Award. He published more than 150 peer-reviewed articles and publications.

Remembered as a smart, passionate, enthusiastic and generous man and a lifelong learner, Dr. Rosenblatt is survived by his wife, Fernne; his sons, Jon, Garth, Eli and Ben; their wives, Linda, Jenny, Kelly and Olivia; and grandchildren Taylor, Ezra and Lucy. Donations in his honor can be made to the Rosenblatt Family Endowed Professorship in Rural Family Medicine, UW Medicine Advancement, Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045. Gifts to the professorship also can be made online.

Stuart Julian Farber, M.D. ’74

Born: Nov. 13, 1947
Died: Feb. 27, 2015

Dr. Stuart Farber had two lifelong passions: his family and improving care for patients and families at the end of their lives. This was reflected in his work as a family doctor in Tacoma for 17 years, and for the past couple of decades as a professor at UW Medicine, where he founded and directed the Palliative Care Service at UW Medical Center and helped develop a palliative care training center.

Dr. Farber trained his students to go beyond reading charts and writing prescriptions. He called his brand of doctoring “narrative medicine,” which focused on learning what was important to a patient — to balance treatment with the wishes, values and spirituality of people and their families, especially when it came to end-of-life care.

He was a devoted husband, a caring father, a lover of Shakespeare and poetry, a singer, a guitarist and an avid skier. He reveled in the outdoors, often hiking in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains. Dr. Farber is survived by his wife, Annalu, his brother, Steven (Fran), his sister, Gail (Bill Lehman), his sons Saul (Michelle) and Bryan (Melinda Baggenstos), and his grandchildren: Maxwell and June Farber, Tyler and Katelen Baggenstos. Donations in his honor can be made to the Stuart and Annalu Farber Endowed Professorship in Palliative Care Education, UW Medicine Advancement, Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045. Gifts to the professorship also can be made online.

Richard B. Wesley, M.D., Res. ’78

Born Dec. 2, 1944, in Beaumont, Texas
Died Nov. 20, 2014, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. Richard B. Wesley graduated from Rice University and Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and he completed a fellowship in pulmonary medicine at UW Medicine. He then began a 28-year career in pulmonary medicine and critical care in Bremerton, Wash. He returned to Seattle after retiring from practice.

In retirement, Dr. Wesley studied a variety of topics but concentrated on political science and economics, taking classes through the UW’s Access Program. He studied for the pure joy of learning, developing friendships with students and professors, collaborating on writing projects and providing support and encouragement.

Dr. Wesley was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease), but it did not prevent him from living to the fullest extent possible, enjoying a life of the mind and a large circle of friends. He is survived by his wife and four children.

Robert P. Levine, M.D. ’80

Born March 23, 1950, in Boston, Mass.
Died Dec. 26, 2014

Dr. Robert Paul Levine graduated from Newton South High School and Brandeis University. He later moved to Seattle and graduated from the University of Washington School of Medicine.

Until his illness, kidney cancer, forced him to retire, Dr. Levine was a practicing ob-gyn physician with Northwest Women’s Healthcare, where he was a founding partner. He earned a reputation as a highly regarded physician, and his many patients and colleagues will remember his calm and reassuring competence. He was forever grateful to his patients for putting their trust in him.

Dr. Levine loved skiing, cycling and any sort of outdoor adventure, especially with family and friends. He was a voracious reader and was never without a book. Gentle and modest, he was quiet in his conversation, but if you listened closely, you were rewarded with exceptional warmth, insight and humor. Most of all, he loved his family dearly.

Dr. Levine is survived by his loving wife, Karen Bohmke, his adoring daughters, Molly and Emily, his brother, Richard, his father, Al, and Al’s wife, Gladys.

Els Vanden Ende, P.T. ’81

Born July 23, 1959, in Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Died April 5, 2011

Ms. Els Vanden Ende savored sunshine and the outdoors. She loved all animals, was curious about the world and traveled to many different countries. Her most recent trip was a safari in Tanzania, a lifelong dream.

While studying physical therapy at the University of Washington, Ms. Vanden Ende met her husband, Ken Gangloff. They wed in summer 1982 and soon welcomed two daughters. She loved nurturing her girls and was so proud of the young women they became. When her job as a therapist concluded, she pursued her passion of creating art with fused glass. She developed into an innovative and distinguished artist and gained many new friends along the way.

Ms. Vanden Ende is survived by her husband, Ken; her daughters, Elisha and Andie; her brothers, Pim and Ernie (Betty); family members in the U.S., Australia and Holland; her extended family of treasured friends and fellow artists; and, of course, Bodie.

Paul V. Ryan, M.D., Res. ’89 (family medicine)

Born Nov. 4, 1955, in Whittier, Calif.
Died Nov. 18, 2014

Dr. Paul V. Ryan’s adventurous life began in Southern California as the oldest of five children. Ever since he was 10 years old, Dr. Ryan had wanted to be a doctor. He followed his dream, attending the University of California, Irvine for undergraduate studies and the UC Davis School of Medicine. Dr. Ryan held a fellowship at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Mass., and selected Boise, Idaho, for his residency at St. Luke’s Medical Center. He later chose to practice family medicine and worked at St. Alphonsus Medical Clinic for seven years.

Dr. Ryan’s desire to be independent led him to open a private office, Initial Point Family Medicine in Meridian, Wash., with Mark Grajcar, D.O. He took great joy in helping others and relieving their suffering. His patients always felt they were going to see their friend, not their doctor.

Dr. Ryan married Susan in 1985, and after they moved to Boise, they had two beautiful daughters, Amelia and Grace. The family enjoyed many things, especially camping, skiing, traveling, and the Oregon Coast. They always had dogs that they considered their extra furry children.

Dr. Ryan was an information seeker, always reading The New Yorker and medical publications; he and his daughter Amelia read and discussed books together. He loved cycling and participated in the Seattle to Portland Ride with good friends. He also loved downhill skiing, especially with his younger daughter, Grace. However, his main hobby was baseball. He boasted of trips to Cooperstown to the Baseball Hall of Fame and participated in spring training baseball camps with professional players. His path also led him to practice Buddhism, which gave him the peace he sought.

After his divorce, he met Laurie Barrera, with whom he spent the past two years. Together they shared many activities: their Buddhist sangha, hiking with the dogs, cooking and bicycling as well as travel adventures.

Dr. Ryan will be deeply missed in our community. He is survived by his former wife, Susan E. Ryan; his daughters, Amelia and Grace; his brother, Joseph (Donna); his sisters, Mary Ryan Barney (Joseph), and Kathryn Ryan Imhoff (Scott); his girlfriend, Laurie Barrera; and numerous nephews and nieces.

Hilary E. Younkin, M.D. ’02

Born June 23, 1972, in Aurora, Colo.
Died June 2, 2014, in New York City

Dr. Hilary Elizabeth Younkin was the oldest of four sisters. She grew up in Everett, Wash., and graduated from Cascade High School in 1990 with honors as a Superintendent’s Scholar and a National Merit Scholar. She graduated from Pomona College in California and received an M.D. from the University of Washington in 2002.

Fascinated by languages, Dr. Younkin learned both Portuguese and Spanish during her travels abroad, which began when she spent her sixteenth year in Brazil as a Rotary exchange student. After medical school, Dr. Younkin was a resident in psychiatry at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. She found her calling working with children and went on to complete a child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship, becoming board-certified in both general psychiatry and in child and adolescent psychiatry. At the time of her death, caused by a pulmonary embolism, Dr. Younkin was working as a psychiatrist in New York City. She was in private practice and also on the staff of the New York Foundling, a social service agency providing services to children and families.

Her colleagues say there were few doctors as dedicated as Dr. Younkin. She would show up early, leave late, and never notice where the time had gone. She prided herself on being a good listener and connecting with her patients. Dr. Younkin’s talents extended beyond medicine and included singing and writing. In addition to her work, she loved her family and friends, whom she enjoyed knitting gifts for, as well as baking elaborate cookies and cakes for their special occasions. She loved to travel, and she loved living in New York, where her favorite activity was dinner and a play or opera with friends or family.

Dr. Younkin is survived by her three sisters and their families: Rebecca (Karl Berggren) and their children, Peter and Anna; Sarah Younkin Daniels; and Rachel (Michael Orcutt). Dr. Younkin was particularly proud of her role as aunt to Peter and Anna.

Alvin Secrest, M.D., Res. (internal medicine)


Xavier A. Engle, Third-year

Born July 27, 1987, in Santa Fe, N.M.
Died Nov. 30, 2014, in Seattle, Wash.

Xavier Alexander Engle, 27 years old, died in a tragic kayaking accident in Robe Canyon of the Stillaguamish River north of Seattle. A world-class whitewater kayaker, he was born in Santa Fe, N.M., and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. He graduated from Anchorage West High School; a few years later, he graduated cum laude with highest honors and a B.A. in cellular biochemistry from Dartmouth College. Mr. Engle was a third-year Alaska WWAMI student at the UW School of Medicine and had been accepted into the MPH program in global health.

In 2010, Mr. Engle met his life partner, Kaitlyn Mulhern Kennedy, now a third-year Idaho WWAMI medical student, in Ft. Collins, Colo., where he was an emerging infectious disease fellow at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A traveler to nearly every continent, Mr. Engle was fluent in Spanish and began kayaking in high school during a semester spent studying in Chile. He was a member of Ledyard Canoe Club at Dartmouth, and, while in college, he continued kayaking rivers throughout North and South America, Africa, Siberia and New Zealand. Mr. Engle was especially proud to have paddled the North American Triple Crown in Alaska and British Columbia, making the only known springtime descent of the Stikine River, running the Homathko in British Columbia and paddling seven top-to-bottom runs on the North Fork of the Payette River in one day, dropping more vertical feet in a kayak than anybody ever has.

In 2007, Mr. Engle spent a semester at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSOE), where he studied international relations theory and comparative politics and researched humanitarian aid-related foreign policymaking. While at LSOE, he received the Rick Angulo World Experience Award, which recognizes a Dartmouth student whose intellectual openness, enthusiasm and academic performance embody the spirit of off-campus programs.

Mr. Engle was the co-author of several published scientific papers in Tropical Doctor, Cancer Research, Blood and the Journal of Clinical Investigation. At the time of his death, he was working on additional academic projects, including one at Seattle Children’s. He volunteered at Children’s Surgical Centre in Phnom Penh, Cambodia; he worked with immigrants at the Terry Reilly Health Services in Boise, Idaho; and he was a public health volunteer with Soft Power Health in rural Uganda.

In addition to kayaking, Mr. Engle was passionate about backcountry skiing, hiking, mountain biking and everything else that got him into the mountains. He loved making music and played classical clarinet, jazz piano, blues harmonica and guitar.

Mr. Engle is survived by his life partner, Kaitlyn Mulhern Kennedy; his mother, Pamela Engle; his half-brother, Caio Gray; his biological father, Kirk Gray; his biological mother, Afra Roet; his aunt, Lynne Nelson; his cousins, Jeffrey Nelson (Rob Cogorno), Jody Nelson and Julee Nelson (Paul Dean). He is also survived by his nieces, Ali Andruss and Sophia Dean, and his nephew, Eli Nelson Andruss.

Faculty and Former Faculty

Paul Bornstein, M.D.

Dr. Bornstein received an M.D. at New York University, and he was an emeritus faculty member in biochemistry at UW Medicine. He was a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation, president of the International Society for Matrix Biology from 2001 to 2003, and won a number of awards, including the MERIT Award from the National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (1989) and the Josiah Macy Faculty Scholar Award (1975).

William P. Gerberding, Ph.D.

Born Sept. 9, 1929, in Fargo, N.D.
Died Dec. 27, 2014, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. William Passavant Gerberding, emeritus faculty, was the 27th and longest-serving president of the University of Washington.

At Macalester College, Dr. Gerberding majored in philosophy, falling in love with ideas and also with Ruth Alice Albrecht, whom he married in 1952. Dr. Gerberding enlisted as an officer in the Navy during the Korean War, serving for three-and-a-half years, then enrolled in graduate school in political science at the University of Chicago. He became a congressional fellow of the American Political Science Association in Washington, D.C.; the next stop was Colgate University, then back to the capitol, where he worked for a year on a House committee.

Then Dr. Gerberding took a position in the political science department at UCLA, where he was awarded the Distinguished Teaching Award and eventually served as the chair. Other prestigious positions followed at Occidental College, UCLA, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the University of Washington, where he served with distinction for 16 years as the institution’s president. He regarded his tenure at UW as the crowning achievement of his academic career.

Dr. Gerberding served on many boards — corporate, arts and city — including serving as trustee of the Gates Cambridge Trust for 11 years, as well as with the Public Facilities District, which built Safeco Field, and on the Seattle Opera Board. He is survived by his wife, Ruth; his children: David, Steven, Liza and John; his daughters-in-law: Evan, Cathy and Bronwyn; and grandchildren Averi, Ryan, Quinn and Grant.

Thomas O. Murphy, M.D., Ph.D.

Born June 14, 1925, in Tacoma, Wash.
Died Nov. 16, 2013, in Tacoma, Wash.

Dr. Thomas Ogden Murphy lived his entire life in Tacoma and Gig Harbor. He served in both the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Army as an officer and physician, and he served in the Korean War. Dr. Murphy held a Ph.D. in engineering as well as an M.D. He practiced cardiovascular surgery and was a pioneer of cardiac surgery in the Pierce County community.

Dr. Murphy was a governor of the American College of Surgeons, a member of the North Pacific Surgical Association, an instructor and assistant professor at the University of Minnesota, and a clinical consultant and professor emeritus at the University of Washington. In addition to his private practice, he greatly enjoyed teaching nursing students, residents and interns.

He also enjoyed skiing and sailing. He was a member of the Tacoma and the Lahaina Yacht Clubs. His love of risk, navigation and perseverance was demonstrated by his participation in the Swiftsure Bank race and the Victoria to Maui sailboat race. His large community of friends and family enjoyed his tales of adventure as much as he loved telling them. Whether on Maui or Raft Island, you could count on Dr. Murphy to blow his conch at sunset.

Dr. Murphy is survived by his wife, Shirley, his son, Thomas, his grandson Seth (Elise), and his three great granddaughters, Madeline, Fiona and Claire, as well as by his niece, Jocelyn Mel.

Wayne E. Quinton

Born Jan. 4, 1921, in Idaho
Died Jan. 22, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.

Prof. Wayne Everett Quinton was raised on an Idaho farm in the midst of the Great Depression, and he was hired to work for the Boeing Airplane Company in Seattle one week after Pearl Harbor, on Dec. 15, 1941. And, during the early days of the UW School of Medicine, Prof. Quinton was appointed head of the medical instrument shop, responsible for servicing equipment. He also was challenged to create anything the physicians needed or could not buy.

To learn, he spent time with the doctors. And while Prof. Quinton felt fortunate to be associated with some of the finest minds in medicine, they, in turn, benefited immensely from his creative intellect. Prof. Quinton pioneered many medical instruments for the University of Washington School of Medicine, among them the life-saving shunt which enabled long-term dialysis (with the late Belding Scribner, M.D.), as well as the lightweight treadmill for cardiovascular stress testing.

In 1958, Prof. Quinton graduated from the UW with honors and a degree in mechanical engineering. In 1961, he founded Quinton Instrument Company. And in 2009, the University of Washington awarded Prof. Quinton with the highest honor the University can confer upon a graduate, Alumnus Summa Laude Dignatus (alumnus worthy of the greatest praise).

Prof. Quinton is predeceased by a grandson, Oliver Quinton, and his first wife, Julia Quinton. He is survived by his second wife, Jeanne Quinton, his son, Randall (Barbara), his daughter, Sherrie, and his stepchildren: Lisa (Matt) Richardson, Dana (Mike) Roberts, Joe (Payslie) Jackson, 18 grandchildren and six great grandchildren. Gifts may be made in memory of Prof. Quinton to UW Medical Center at UW Medicine Advancement, Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045.


Jean Winifred Blagg

Born July 14, 1929 in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, England
Died Oct. 26, 2014

Jean W. Blagg was a senior nurse in Leeds when she met her husband, Christopher R. Blagg, M.D., UW emeritus faculty. They married in December 1953 and lived in Leeds and London before moving to Seattle in 1966. Mrs. Blagg worked as an obstetric nurse at Overlake Hospital in Bellevue.

Mrs. Blagg was involved in a number of civic and other organizations, including the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, the Women’s University Club, the Mercer Island Shore Club (during her tennis-playing days) and the Arboretum Foundation. She served as the president of the North Mercer Junior High School PTA as well as the president of the Friends of the UW School of Medicine. She is survived by her husband of almost 62 years, Christopher; her children: Alison (Daniel), Elizabeth (Gary), Christopher James (Janet), Simon (Maggie); and eight grandchildren, one great grandchild and her older brother, Alexander.

Josephine W. Coe

Born: March 12, 1920, in Denver, Colo.
Died: Feb. 22, 2015

Mrs. Josephine (Bobby) Coe attended the University of Washington, but when her parents were relocated to Los Angeles, she entered the University of Southern California. There, she majored in fine arts and was the homecoming queen as well as captain of the archery team. Her college career was cut short by World War II, when she left school to work at a gas mask factory. On March 24, 1942, she married her long-time friend Robert (Bob) Coe, whom she had met in elementary school. Dr. Coe’s career in the U.S. Navy eventually took them to live in Key West and then to New York City. While in New York, Mrs. Coe worked at the information desk at the Metropolitan Art Museum, a job she remembered with fondness and pride. She continued her interest in fine arts throughout her life, expressing herself through watercolors and sketching.

After attending Harvard Medical School, Dr. Coe and Mrs. Coe moved to Mercer Island, where they would remain for 55 years. While Dr. Coe built his medical practice, Mrs. Coe raised their children and served as a docent at the Seattle Art Museum. The two enjoyed sailing, skiing and mountain-climbing, among other pursuits, and were generous supporters of UW Medicine. Mrs. Coe is survived by Dr. Coe, a clinical associate professor emeritus at the University of Washington; their children: Bruce (Kim), Virginia (Michael Garland), and Matthew (Pam); and by seven grandchildren, one great-grandchild and several nieces and nephews.

Emily Rose Timmins Moe

Born Feb. 20, 1927, in Butte, Mont.
Died Nov. 16, 2014, in Seattle, Wash.

Emily Rose Timmins Moe, spouse of late emeritus faculty member Roger Moe, M.D. ’59, Res. ’68 (general surgery), had a master’s degree in foreign relations and worked at the University of Washington. She passed away in the presence of family at the age of 87.

Mrs. Moe was born in Butte, Mont., the youngest of the four daughters of George and Mary Frankovich Timmins. She attended Butte High School and spent her senior year at Renton High School. She graduated from the University of Washington in 1949, where she studied Russian and became an expert in Soviet central Asia. Mrs. Moe was active on campus in many clubs and societies in addition to being the beloved drum majorette for the UW Marching Band. She continued her graduate studies at UW, receiving a master’s degree in foreign relations. While at the University, she met and married Dr. Moe, her husband of 57 years, who preceded her in death in November of 2010.

Mrs. Moe had an undaunted spirit for adventure. She was drawn to the outdoors, loved the mountains and found appreciation for all kinds of weather. Mrs. Moe loved to travel and traveled the globe with Dr. Moe and their young sons, exploring beautiful places and making lifelong friends before returning to Seattle and settling down on the shores of Lake Washington. She was smart, elegant, thoroughly engaging and a loyal and supportive friend to all who knew her.

Emily is survived by her son, Dr. Kris Moe, and his wife, Stephanie; three grandchildren: Madeleine, Roger Rainier and Grady; her sister, Alice Carhart, and numerous nieces and nephews who loved her dearly and will miss her humor and enthusiasm for all things. She was preceded in death by her son, John Roger Moe, and her sisters, Mary Mattson and Catherine Timmins. Donations in her honor can be made to the Roger E. Moe Fellowship in Interdisciplinary Breast Cancer Care, UW Medicine Advancement, Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045. Gifts to the fellowship also can be made online.

Herman Sarkowsky

Born June 9, 1925, in Gera, Germany
Died Nov. 2, 2014, in Seattle, Wash.

Herman Sarkowsky was a businessman, philanthropist, thoroughbred horse breeder and sports executive. He and his family escaped Nazi Germany in 1934, then moved to Seattle in 1937. After serving in the U.S. Army Signal Corps, Mr. Sarkowsky earned a business degree from the University of Washington in 1949.

Mr. Sarkowsky founded United Homes Corporation, which became the largest homebuilding company in the Northwest, developed the Key Tower (now Seattle Municipal Tower), and was a partner in the Frederick & Nelson department store chain. In his later years, Mr. Sarkowsky operated a private investment firm and invested in many local and national businesses, and served on a number of corporate boards, including WebMD.

He also contributed to and served on the boards of numerous philanthropic causes and cultural institutions, among them the UW School of Medicine, the Seattle Foundation, United Way, Seattle Repertory Theatre, the Seattle Symphony, Seattle Art Museum, the Jewish Federation and PONCHO. In addition, Mr. Sarkowsky had a lively interest in sports, having co-founded the Portland Trail Blazers and the Seattle Seahawks and having served as the managing general partner of the Seahawks from 1975 to 1982.

Mr. Sarkowsky is survived by his wife, Faye, and his children: Cathy (and her son Max) and Steve (and his wife, Stacy Lawson, and their sons, Noah and Shiah). Donations may be sent in his memory to the University of Washington School of Medicine at UW Medicine Advancement, Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045.

Mary Ann M. Sauvage

Born March 24, 1934
Died Feb. 3, 2015

Mrs. Mary Ann Sauvage was raised in Seattle’s Rainier Valley and attended St. Edward’s Parish Grade School. She graduated from Holy Names Academy before pursuing a degree in nursing from Seattle University, where she was homecoming queen. Her photo caught the attention of her future husband, Lester Sauvage, and thus began their amazing life together. They married on June 9, 1956, and eventually settled on Seattle’s Capitol Hill to raise their family.

Mrs. Sauvage devoted her life to her family and community. She was the volunteer school nurse at St. Joseph’s School for 15 years and an ardent supporter of Catholic education. She served on the Board of Regents at Seattle University from 1981 to 2004, was a member of the board at Holy Names Academy and was chair of the board of trustees at Seattle Preparatory School. Another cause dear to her heart was the Association for Catholic Childhood; she was an active member of the Anna Donahoe Circle for 40 years. She also served on the board of the Seattle Youth Symphony and the Sequim Bay Point Association for many years.

Mrs. Sauvage loved the ballet and beautiful music. She opened her home unconditionally to many children on Capitol Hill. She was a trusted confidante to her family and many others. She will be remembered for her grace, wisdom, compassion and unconditional love.

Mrs. Sauvage is survived by her loving husband of 58 years, Lester Sauvage, Res. ’56, emeritus faculty member at the UW School of Medicine; her eight children, Lester, Jr. (Catherine), John (Mona), Paul (Debbie), Helen (Bob Santucci), Joe (Missy), Laura (Stephen Scheer), Bill (Chrissy), and Mary Ann (Paul Huddleston); her sisters, Flossi (Ken Campbell) and Sr. Rose Anna Marti; her brother, Bill Marti (Kit); and her 29 grandchildren.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

Make a Gift

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 |