A Time of Change

Angela Chien, M.D.
Photo: Sarah Rothschild

For the past three years, I have had the privilege of serving as president of the UW School of Medicine Alumni Association — and for a decade more, I served as a member of the Alumni Leadership Council. As I approach the end of my term in June, I have been reflecting on these experiences.

I have cherished the opportunity to get to know students and to be a representative of the School’s 28,000 living alumni. I have welcomed incoming students and presented them with their first stethoscopes, a gift from the alumni association. I have participated in the annual White Coat Ceremony, the milestone event that marks the transition from classroom learning to clinical work. I have attended inspirational events, such as the scholarship dinner and the Dean’s Circle, celebrations of the generosity of UW Medicine’s alumni and friends. And perhaps my favorite perk was getting to watch a few Huskies games from the UW Medicine suite with other supporters.

Through all of this, I have gained a better understanding of UW Medicine — the challenges and opportunities it faces; its goals for the future, including its plans for WWAMI; how it carries out its mission; and the critical importance of philanthropic support, particularly the need for scholarships for our students.

I have served as president during a time of change for the alumni association. I am proud that we updated our mission statement and our bylaws to become a more inclusive organization, representing all alumni of the UW School of Medicine — from physicians, to occupational and physical therapists, to physician assistants, to researchers. And I’m glad we’ve increased the involvement of students in the organization, raising their awareness of the alumni association and helping us learn about their needs and interests. We have made great strides, but there is still more to do.

If these reflections pique your interest, join us! I assure you that the time commitment is modest and the rewards of being involved far exceed the time you will spend. Whether you live in Seattle, elsewhere in the WWAMI region, or on the other side of the country, there are important contributions you can make! Call the alumni office, send me an email, come to our spring board meeting on June 5, attend Reunion Weekend or another alumni event, and volunteer for one of our signature alumni-student programs.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your president. It’s been a wonderful and memorable three years.

Angela J. Chien, M.D. ’95
President , UW School of Medicine Alumni Association
docang1@comcast.net

P.S. For more information, visit uwmedalumni.org or contact our alumni relations staff at 206.685.1875, toll free at 1.866.633.2586, or medalum@uw.edu.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu