Our New President

Scott Stuart, M.D.
Photo: Team Photogenic

I’m Scott Stuart, and it is my privilege to serve as the new president of the UW School of Medicine Alumni Association. I am a proud graduate of the University of Washington, earning a B.S. in zoology in 1992, an M.D. in 2001, and completing my internal medicine residency and chief residency in 2004 and 2005, respectively. My involvement with the University and the School hasn’t stopped since the day I enrolled, and I look forward to serving in this new capacity.

For the past 10 years, I have worked as an internal medicine hospitalist at EvergreenHealth Medical Center in Kirkland. For eight of those years, I have been a clinical instructor of medicine, and I have served as the site coordinator for the UW internal medicine clerkship for the past four. I thoroughly enjoy working with students and have found my work as a clinical faculty member energizing. It helps me keep in touch with my alma mater, and getting to know the future physicians who will be serving and leading in our communities inspires my confidence in the future of medicine.

In addition to my involvement with the School, I serve on the UW Alumni Association’s (UWAA) legislative action committee. Through this group, I have developed a greater understanding of the issues in our state surrounding higher education in general and medical education in particular. Through my work on the legislative committee, I know that the legislature has been supportive of the University of Washington, and I thank them for the support.

However, we face important challenges in Washington state when it comes to ensuring that we have a robust physician workforce, particularly in rural and underserved areas. We not only need to increase the number of medical students we are educating, but we also must expand the number of residency slots available in our region in order to provide more care to more patients. Doing so is the only way we will be able to meet the growing challenge of providing state-of-the-art medical care to citizens in our region, regardless of where they live. I encourage all of you to take an active role in our UW School of Medicine Alumni Association so that we can work together to serve the needs of the Pacific Northwest.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve as the president of the UW School of Medicine Alumni Association. I look forward to continuing the work of Dr. Angela Chien and the Alumni Leadership Council, and to finding new ways to keep more alumni involved in the life of the School. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Scott Stuart, M.D. ’01, Res. ’04, Chief Res. ’05
President, UW School of Medicine Alumni Association
medalum@uw.edu

P.S. For more information, visit uwmedalumni.org or contact our alumni relations staff at 206.685.1875, toll free at 1.866.633.2586, or medalum@uw.edu.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu