PassagesOur Friends, Remembered

Below we pay tribute to recently deceased alumni, faculty, students and friends. Because we are not always aware of deaths in the larger UW Medicine community, we gratefully accept your notifications. Our sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones.


Faculty and Former Faculty

  • John A. Glomset, M.D.
    Dr. Glomset was a professor emeritus in biochemistry at UW Medicine; he discovered the LCAT enzyme, crucial for understanding the blood’s transportation of cholesterol.
  • Douglas E. Green, M.D.
    Dr. Green was a UW associate professor of radiology, and he co-directed the CT team at UW Medical Center.
  • Daniel C. Moore, Sr., M.D.
    Dr. Moore was the first director of anesthesiology at Virginia Mason Hospital and a clinical professor emeritus at UW Medicine.
  • John N. Wettlaufer, M.D.
    Dr. Wettlaufer was a colonel in the U.S. Army, taught and published on trauma surgery, served as president of the Puget Sound Urologic Society and was a clinical professor emeritus at UW Medicine.


  • Darren M. Bronco
    Mr. Bronco was a local businessman, and he contributed to liver dialysis research and development at UW Medicine.
  • Mildred K. Dunn
    Mrs. Dunn was a patron of the arts in Seattle, contributed to UW Medicine, and helped found the Washington Women’s Foundation.
  • David Freudmann
    Mr. Freudmann contributed to pathology research at UW Medicine.
  • Willis L. Hubler, M.D.
    Dr. Hubler practiced internal medicine, and he and his family established a scholarship for Idaho medical students.
  • Anita M. Lagerberg
    Mrs. Lagerberg was an education advocate, among other commitments, and she and her husband, Eugene V. Lagerberg, M.D. ’58, Res. ’62, contributed to an M.D. scholarship.
  • Virginia Lee (Ginny) Meisenbach
    Ms. Meisenbach believed in service, co-founding nonprofit StolenYouth, which fights youth trafficking in the Seattle area; she also supported UW Medicine.
  • Thomas N. Melin
    Mr. Melin was the founder of a lumber mill, Rainier Manufacturing Co.; he contributed to the Department of Urology.
  • Mrs. William H. (Emily) Stimson
    Mrs. Stimson established a scholarship fund named after her late husband and UW clinical associate professor emeritus, William H. Stimson, M.D.
  • Henry Van Beber
    Mr. Van Beber was a strong supporter of Alzheimer’s disease research.


Correction. In the last issue, we incorrectly listed UW Professor of Surgery Alexander Whitehill Clowes, M.D., who died in 2015, as the holder of the Clowes Chair. In fact, Dr. Clowes had held the V. Paul Gavora and Helen S. and John A. Schilling Endowed Chair in Vascular Surgery since its inception in 2005. Benjamin W. Starnes, M.D., FACS, chief of the Division of Vascular Surgery, is the first holder of the Alexander Whitehall Clowes, M.D., Endowed Chair in Vascular Surgery, a chair named and endowed in honor of Dr. Clowes in 2015.


Narendra Krishna, M.D., Res.

Born June 8, 1930
Died Dec. 12, 2015, in Decatur, Ga.

Dr. Narendra Krishna passed away at the age of 85 in his home, surrounded by his family. A former ophthalmologist, Dr. Krishna spent the majority of his life in West Chester, Penn., where he had a private practice for more than 30 years. In 2008, he moved to Decatur with his wife, Helen Smith Krishna.

Dr. Krishna was preceded in death by his first wife, Nuala Hughes Krishna. He is survived by his wife Helen, his children: Neel (Lauren) and Nevin (Iris), his brother, Bhupendra Krishna (Suzanne), and two grandchildren.

Charles Robert Smith, M.S. ’44, M.D., Int.

Born July 9, 1923, in Seattle, Wash.
Died Aug. 29, 2015

Dr. Charles Robert Smith graduated from the University of Washington, where he was a member of Phi Gamma Delta. While in the U.S. Navy, Dr. Smith attended the University of Oregon Medical School (now the Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine) and graduated in 1948. He did his internship at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and an orthopaedic residency at Naval Hospital Oakland in Oakland, Calif. Dr. Smith met his wife, Marilyn Greene, while both were attending the University of Washington. They had three children: Susan, Patricia and James. Marilyn passed away after a battle with cancer in 1987.

Dr. Smith joined his father’s medical practice, and he loved to remind his family that he did house calls and spent many nights delivering babies. Their practice also included industrial medicine, and they took care of shipyard and dock workers.

Dr. Smith was a prolific sailor and won many sailing competitions. He also skied for the University of Washington, winning national honors. Dr. Smith was well-known for his upland bird-hunting skills, and, after retirement, he enjoyed serving as a guide for others in Eastern Washington. He loved all kinds of fishing, particularly fly fishing, and traveled to many different countries to fish. Dr. Smith met Kathryn Casady through a mutual friend, and they were married in 1995. They spent the next 20 years together pursuing Bob’s passions of hunting and fishing and Kathryn’s love of travel.

Dr. Smith is survived by his wife, Kathryn, his children: Sue, Patricia and Jim, and his grandson, Patrick.

Gregory G. John, M.S. ’49, M.D., Res. (internal medicine), Fel. (cardiology)

Born March 26, 1924, in Raymond, Wash.
Died May 5, 2014, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. Gregory G. John was born and raised in Raymond, Wash. After graduating from Raymond High School, he enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces and served as a B-17 pilot. He flew 35 missions over Germany in 1944 and 1945. After marrying his high-school sweetheart, Vaundie Pilot, Dr. John attended the University of Washington and the Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine. He completed his postgraduate training in internal medicine and cardiology at the University of California, San Francisco and the University of Washington. During his cardiology fellowship, Dr. John worked with Robert Bruce, M.D., to develop the cardiac stress test protocol, which is used worldwide to this day. He spent his entire career practicing at The Polyclinic in Seattle.

Dr. John retired in 1991 and moved to Camano Island, Wash. He cherished his career as a physician and felt honored and privileged to care for his patients, but he often said his years on Camano with Vaundie were the best of his life. Dr. John enjoyed skiing, backpacking and golfing with his family and friends. He was an avid and talented woodcarver and spent many happy hours in his workshop. He and Vaundie took great pleasure caring for their island property.

Dr. John was preceded in death by his wife, Vaundie, and his sisters: Marguerite Farmer and Marie Zimmerman. He is survived by his sons, Greg (Erika) and Steven (Ted), and grandson Scott (Becky).

Frederick G. Hazeltine, M.D. ’51

Born Sept. 5, 1925, in South Bend, Wash.
Died Dec. 3, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. Frederick Hazeltine, UW clinical associate professor emeritus, grew up in South Bend, Wash. He was an Eagle Boy Scout and served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. In 1948, Dr. Hazeltine completed an undergraduate degree in public health and preventive medicine at the University of Washington, where he was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma. He then earned an M.D. from the UW School of Medicine and completed his pediatric training at the Children’s Hospital of Michigan.

Dr. Hazeltine practiced pediatrics in Burien, Wash., for more than 40 years. In his spare time, he enjoyed singing and playing the piano. He was a longtime member of the Seattle SeaChordsmen Barbershop Chorus and the Fauntleroy Church Chancel Choir. Dr. Hazeltine also enjoyed skiing, bird watching, square dancing and sailing. He is survived by his wife of 66 years, Margaret; their children, Thomas and Bradley (Christy); and his sister, Jean.

Basil J. Gregores, M.D. ’53

Born Oct. 14, 1925, in Seattle, Wash.
Died Dec. 29, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. Basil Gregores served in the U.S. Navy in Hawaii from 1943–1945 and later earned an M.D. from the UW School of Medicine. In 1954, he married Helen Peter Macheras, and they made their first home in Detroit, Mich., where he completed his pediatric residency.

After moving back to Seattle, Wash., to establish his medical practice, Dr. Gregores became a well-respected pediatrician in the Burien, Wash., area. He was a UW clinical assistant professor of pediatrics and never wavered in his undying loyalty to the UW Huskies. Dr. Gregores was a dedicated member of the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, an active member of the Rainier Golf and Country Club, and an avid fisherman and bird hunter.

Dr. Gregores is survived by his children — Andrea (Dan), Alexa (Tim) and Thalia (Rick) — and seven grandchildren.

Bertram R. Pass, M.D. ’53

Born Sept. 17, 1928, in Seattle, Wash.
Died Sept. 10, 2015, in Kirkland, Wash.

Dr. Bertram R. Pass married his high-school sweetheart, Alice Feinberg, in 1950. He graduated from the UW School of Medicine’s fourth graduating class in 1953. While he was completing a residency at Cincinnati General (now the University of Cincinnati Medical Center) and serving in the United States Navy, Dr. Pass and Alice welcomed four children.

In 1958, Dr. Pass joined his brother Harry in creating a highly respected family medicine practice, where Dr. Pass proudly delivered more than 2,400 babies over the course of four decades. Deeply appreciative of the Pacific Northwest’s beauty, Dr. Pass camped, hiked, skied and boated with enthusiasm. He was also a founding member of Temple B’nai Torah, alongside Rabbi Jacob Singer.

Dr. Pass is survived by his wife, Alice, his sister, Marge Weissman, his children: Judith, Gary and Sandy, their spouses: Robert, Cyndi and Jim, daughter-in-law Patricia, 11 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Irene Marie Larry, B.S. ’54 (medical technology)

Born Oct. 28, 1932
Died Feb. 24, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.

Ms. Irene Marie Larry graduated from Ballard High School in 1950. She attended the University of Washington and received a degree in medical technology. She was one of the first African Americans to graduate with that degree.

Ms. Larry was the head medical technologist at Seattle General Hospital. She later worked at Harborview Medical Center and part-time at various private physician offices. She was a member of the Seattle Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta sorority, Mount Zion Baptist Church, YWCA and NAACP. She was also active on the Aid to Africa Committee in the 1950s, which assisted in ensuring the success of African students attending universities in the area. She was married to Dr. Clarence Larry for almost 57 years; he passed away shortly after her in August 2015.

Ms. Larry was preceded in death by her siblings: Florise A. Minter, Izetta B. Hatcher and Austin E. Spearman. She is survived by her two daughters: Donna Mcinnis (Michael) and Dedrea Danilov (Val), three grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

Merilyn J. Parkinson, B.S. ’57 (medical technology)

Born May 7, 1935, in Los Angeles, Calif.
Died Aug. 27, 2015

Ms. Merilyn J. Parkinson received a degree in medical technology at the University of Washington, where she met the love of her life, John J. Parkinson. They were married for almost 58 years.

Ms. Parkinson lived in Kirkland, Wash., for 48 years. She was a devoted mother, involved in her children’s many sports, school functions and activities, and she was passionate about her gardens and making holiday and family events special. Throughout her life, Ms. Parkinson was generous, loving, concerned for others and compassionate. She had the ability to make everyone who entered her home feel welcome and important. Her house and heart were open to all who crossed its threshold.

Ms. Parkinson is survived by her husband, John, her four children: Jay Parkinson (Elaine), Jennifer Parkinson-Skorupa (Dave), Leslie Hmila (Imed), and Chris Parkinson, her granddaughters: Irelan and Talia (Jared), and great-grandchildren: Serena, Bilel and Omar.

Donald P. Schumacher, M.D., Res. ’57 (anesthesiology)

Born Aug. 1, 1923, in Dubuque, Iowa
Died July 9, 2014, in Mercer Island, Wash.

Dr. Donald P. Schumacher graduated from the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine and earned his postgraduate degree in anesthesiology from the University of Washington. He practiced in the Seattle area for many years as a member of Associated Anesthesiologists and later at the Medical Dental Building.

In his spare time, Dr. Schumacher enjoyed skiing, hunting, fishing, travel, time with family and friends, and football, supporting both the Huskies and Seahawks for many years. As a World War II veteran, he became an active member of the Mercer Island VFW Post #5760 and Mercer Island Masonic Lodge #297.

Dr. Schumacher is survived by his wife of 67 years, Roma Jean, their children: Jann, Cheryl (Joseph) and Don, and their grandson, Cullen.

Elmore E. Duncan, M.D. ’58

Born May 2, 1932, in Chehalis, Wash.
Died Sept. 22, 2015, in Wilsonville, Wash.

Dr. Elmore E. Duncan grew up in Mossyrock, Wash., pursuing his interests in chemistry, drama and cars (he purchased a Ford Model A in his teens with money he earned mowing neighbors’ lawns). Dr. Duncan majored in chemistry and pre-med studies at Pacific Lutheran University. He sang baritone with their world-class university choir, the Choir of the West, and graduated in 1954. He began his medical training at the UW School of Medicine later that year and met his wife, Elizabeth Wassenaar, who attended the UW School of Nursing. Their honeymoon was spent on a cross-country trip to Chicago, Ill., where Dr. Duncan had his medical internship. His medical residency took place at the U.S. Navy at Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay (now Marine Corps Base Hawaii) from 1960 to 1962.

Dr. Duncan and his young family moved to California in 1962, where he set up his first private medical practice. His growing interest in psychology led him to move the family to Portland, Ore., in 1968 to pursue a three-year specialty residency in psychiatry at Oregon Health & Science University. In 1971, Dr. Duncan and five of his colleagues created Northwest Psychiatric Associates (later Northwest Resource Group). He received numerous fellowships and awards throughout his career, and sat on a number of boards, including serving as president of the Oregon Psychiatric Association from 1994 to 1995. Though he closed his private practice in 1997 and “officially” retired in 2002 to enjoy boating and fishing on Mayfield Lake in Mossyrock, he continued to volunteer his services with a local drug treatment program.

Dr. Duncan is survived by his wife of 57 years, Elizabeth, their children: Steven Duncan, Susan Duncan and Kathleen Lundquist (Gary), his siblings: Herb Duncan (DorisAnn), Don Duncan (Trudi) and JoAn Gallagher (Dan), and many more nephews, nieces and cousins.

Julia M. Anderson, M.S. ’59 (microbiology), Ph.D.

Born Feb. 12, 1935, in Harvey, Ill.
Died March 4, 2015, in Iowa City, Iowa

Dr. Julia M. Anderson received a bachelor’s degree from Purdue University, a master’s degree from the University of Washington and a Ph.D. from the Illinois Institute of Technology. She was a research scientist at the University of Iowa. She is survived by her nieces and nephews.

John C. (Jack) Bigelow, M.D. ’59

Born Nov. 11, 1929, in Bremerton, Wash.
Died Sept. 14, 2015, in Woodinville, Wash.

Dr. John C. (Jack) Bigelow contracted polio when he was 6 years old and was on crutches until he was 12. The crutches never slowed him down, as his best friends could attest. He became a prolific reader during his childhood, and when he graduated from grade school, the librarian said he was the only child she had ever seen who had read every book in the library. He went on to study engineering at Washington State University. Upon graduation, Dr. Bigelow decided he would rather be a teacher, so he went to Goldendale, Wash., and taught grade school for two years. He became the principal of the school at age 28. Later, Dr. Bigelow realized that he wanted to become a doctor to help heal others. He went to the University of Washington after scoring in the top 2 percent in the nation on his MCAT test. Dr. Bigelow did a residency at the University of Oregon Medical School (now Oregon Health & Science University), starting in pediatrics and finishing as a certified heart surgeon.

Dr. Bigelow was a founding partner in one of the top heart surgery teams in the United States and retired in 1995. He then devoted his time to tutoring students at three different schools. He did this for 20 years and loved it. Dr. Bigelow and his wife moved into his son and daughter-in-law’s winery in Woodinville, Wash., in 2001, where they spent the rest of their lives. Mrs. Bigelow passed away three years ago.

Dr. Bigelow will be remembered as a loving husband, a wonderful father, a skilled surgeon, an avid sailor, a stylish dresser, a raving sports enthusiast and a revered mentor.

Glenn W. Schoper, M.D. ’59

Born Sept. 16, 1928
Died Nov. 15, 2015, in Montpelier, Idaho

Dr. Glenn W. Schoper was a family physician in Montpelier, Idaho, Phoenix, Ariz., and Boise, Idaho, for 42 years. He loved fishing, golf, skiing and traveling. Dr. Schoper was a gourmet cook and enjoyed spending time with his family.

Dr. Schoper was preceded in death by his wife Elaine. He is survived by his wife Ann, his children: Joe, David, Lynne (Paul), Leslie (Brad), Jeff (Jeanne) and Leigh (Morgan), eight grandchildren, one grandchild, nieces, nephews and other relatives and friends.

W. Carl Allen, M.D. ’60

Born March 28, 1929, in Idaho Falls, Idaho
Died Nov. 27, 2015

Dr. W. Carl Allen graduated from the UW School of Medicine in 1960. He established a family practice and served as chief of staff at Stevens Memorial Hospital. In addition to his practice, he worked tirelessly as an emergency room physician at the hospital and was the director of the paramedic program for South Snohomish County for many years.

Dr. Allen was a longtime supporter of UW and an avid Huskies fan. He enjoyed boating in the San Juan Islands, skiing and getting together with the family. He will be remembered as a respected physician and beloved husband, father and grandfather.

Dr. Allen is survived by his wife, Chris Allen, his daughters: Karen Buckingham, Kathleen Lundberg and Kristi Feutz, and eight grandchildren.

Alden R. Heupel, M.D. ’60

Born Dec. 28, 1928, in Ashley, N.D.
Died Oct. 19, 2015, in Springfield, Mass.

Dr. Alden R. Heupel graduated from high school in Eureka, S.D., and entered Sioux Falls University. His college education was interrupted for two years by service in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He completed a B.A. in 1955.

Dr. Heupel married Marcia Swanson in 1958. That same year, he earned an M.A. from the University of South Dakota and went on to obtain an M.D. in 1960 from the UW School of Medicine. Dr. Heupel completed a pathology residency and joined a pathology practice in Los Gatos, Calif., before moving to Watertown, S.D., in 1968, where he served northeastern South Dakota as a pathologist. Dr. Heupel joined Dakota Clinic in Fargo, N.D., in 1982. He retired in 1986.

Dr. Heupel had a strong faith and was a member of a church wherever he lived. He was also an active member of medical and civic organizations. He served on the school board in Watertown, S.D., for six years. Dr. Heupel’s hobby was raising show horses, and he and his family participated in many horse shows throughout the Midwest. He also enjoyed fishing, reading and watching westerns.

Dr. Heupel is survived by his wife of 57 years, Marcia, two children: Richard Heupel (Kathy) and Lisa Rutherford (David), three grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews. In addition to his parents, he was predeceased by three sisters: Erna Heupel, Irene Stotz and Freda Larson, and two brothers: Arnold Heupel and Harold Heupel.

Rick Lane Johnson, M.D. ’61, Res. ’64 (internal medicine)

Born May 5, 1935, in Kelso, Wash.
Died Oct. 7, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. Rick Johnson earned a B.S. in zoology from Washington State University, where he was a member of Lambda Chi Alpha and Phi Beta Kappa. After earning an M.D. from the UW School of Medicine, he completed a residency at Philadelphia General Hospital and then returned to Seattle, Wash., for residency.

After two years as a U.S. Air Force physician in Illinois, Dr. Johnson moved back to Seattle and practiced internal medicine at Swedish Medical Center. Certified in internal medicine and allergy, he became a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. In 1974, Dr. Johnson joined practices with James E. Stroh, Jr., M.D., Res. ’67, to form Allergy and Asthma Associates. He served as president of the Washington State Medical Association and the Seattle Academy of Internal Medicine, and he was also a UW clinical professor of medicine in the Division of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Dr. Johnson’s community service included board memberships at United Way and Planned Parenthood, along with membership in the Seattle Rotary. He enjoyed playing squash and backpacking in the Cascades and Olympics, but his main hobby was making wine.

Dr. Johnson is survived by his wife of 55 years, Peggy; their children David (Christine), Baird (Katie) and Kajsa; and seven grandchildren.

Jack M. Crabs, M.D. ’62

Born Nov. 23, 1927, in Puyallup, Wash.
Died April 18, 2014, in Olympia, Wash.

Dr. Jack M. Crabs graduated from Puyallup High School in 1945, then joined the U.S. Navy during World War II. After completing his military service, Dr. Crabs studied architecture at the University of Washington and graduated in 1952 at the top of his class. He practiced architecture for five years before returning to the University for medical school, earning an M.D. in 1962.

In 1953, Dr. Crabs married Marlys Jean Stave, and they were married for 61 years. Together, they raised five children while Dr. Crabs finished medical school, completed residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Mich., and started a medical practice in Olympia in 1966. In addition to practicing medicine, Dr. Crabs took on many architectural projects, including designing his own office building near Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia. He also served as panel chair with the Western Institutional Review Board from 1971 until 2013. Dr. Crabs loved life — especially skiing, tennis, historical literature, UW Husky football games, travel and celebrations with his longtime circle of friends.

Dr. Crabs was preceded in death by his brother Don (Jane). He is survived by his wife, Marlys, their five children: Dean, Russ (Kris), Karl (Corinne), Sara (Gurion) and Lia (Dale), 10 grandchildren and his brother, Richard.

Donald G. Winningham, M.D. ’63

Born May 18, 1938, in Livingston, Mont.
Died Sept. 24, 2015

Dr. Donald G. Winningham graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1956. He pursued undergraduate studies at the University of Washington and subsequently received an M.D. from the UW School of Medicine. Dr. Winningham then served in the U.S. Army, which included an internship at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. He served in Vietnam as a battalion surgeon with the 25th Infantry Division. He was decorated with a Bronze Star for bravery while tending the wounded on the battlefield. Upon his return from Vietnam, Dr. Winningham finalized his six years of residency training in 1972 at Stanford University, where he served as chief resident and completed his urology training.

Dr. Winningham and his family returned to Washington after he accepted a position at the Everett Clinic as the organization’s first urologist. He met Margaret H. May during his medical-school rotations at Harborview Medical Center, where she had been working as a nurse. They got married in Seattle in 1963. Dr. Winningham served in a number of administrative roles at the Everett Clinic, including president of the board of directors. He also served as chief of surgery at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett. Dr. Winningham’s passion for clinical practice was matched only by his joy in working with others in leadership roles, and he was particularly interested in mentoring younger physicians and future leaders.

Dr. Winningham and Margaret shared a passion for backpacking and mountaineering. Some of his fondest memories included backpacking expeditions across the Cascades and Olympics with friends and professional colleagues. Dr. Winningham also enjoyed gardening, and he had a particular interest in growing a wide variety of rhododendrons. He was active with the Parks and Recreation Department of Everett, through which he coached numerous boys’ basketball teams. During retirement, Dr. Winningham and Margaret enjoyed world travel, backpacking, skiing, summers at their Hood Canal retreat, attending football games at Husky Stadium, researching family genealogy and spending late nights watching classic movies. Most importantly, he and Margaret enjoyed spending time with their sons’ families.

Don is survived by his wife of 52 years, Margaret, their sons: Jefferey (Dawn), Michael (Patricia) and William (Megan), and five grandchildren: Miranda, Logan, Emma, Benjamin and Andrew.

James R. Emch, M.D. ’64, Res. ’67 (pathology)

Born in in N.D.

Dr. James R. Emch passed away peacefully with family by his side at the age of 79. He was born in North Dakota to Glenn and Irene Emch and spent his youth in the small town of Hettinger, N.D. Having been born with a congenital heart defect, and being told by doctors nothing could be done to fix his problem, Dr. Emch put all his energy into school. After graduating at the top of his class, he went on to earn an engineering degree at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in 1958. He worked at a large engineering firm in Michigan and later in a sub-group designing an atomic power plant. In 1959, Dr. Emch had open-heart surgery to repair his heart defect, and his life changed forever. He decided to pursue a career in medicine, graduating from the University of North Dakota School of Medicine in 1962 and then from the UW School of Medicine in 1964.

After completing an internship at Anker Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., Dr. Emch entered a pathology residency at the UW School of Medicine. Eventually, he returned to patient care and became board certified in family medicine and emergency medicine. Dr. Emch, a UW associate professor, taught at the School’s physician assistant program, MEDEX Northwest, and shortly thereafter was granted a two-year leave of absence to help initiate a PA program at Penn State University School of Medicine in Hershey, Pa. Afterwards, he and his family returned to Seattle, where Dr. Emch spent the next 30 years in emergency medicine. He enjoyed assisting with the evolution of emergency medicine as a board-certified specialty and working with a support group for families of children born with congenital heart disease.

In 1963, Dr. Emch married Margaret O’Brien, a new graduate nurse working at University Hospital. Together they raised three beautiful children, had many pets, and experienced many skiing, boating and travel adventures. Family was very important to Dr. Emch.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Margaret; his daughter, Michelle (Rich); his sons, Christopher (Erin) and John; and his four grandchildren. He is also survived by two sisters, Lola LaPorta and Glenda (Per); sister-in-law, Patricia Banks; and brother-in-law, John (Kathy) O’Brien; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his sister, Enid Schons.

If you wish to make a contribution in his honor, you may give to the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Fund at UW Medicine.

Otto H. Spoerl, M.D., Res. ’64 (psychiatry and behavioral sciences)

Born Feb. 25, 1933
Died Aug. 19, 2015

Dr. Otto Heinrich Spoerl received a medical degree in Germany and came to the U.S. in 1966. After finishing a residency at Duke University School of Medicine, he worked at Harborview Medical Center. When Group Health Cooperative opened their first mental health department in September 1970, Dr. Otto was the first physician hired. He retired from Group Health in 2000.

Never one to be idle, Dr. Otto spent several years in New Zealand working with the indigenous Maori population. He climbed Mt. Rainier, built toilets in Nepal and traveled to nearly 100 countries. He always took the road less traveled, and he cared a great deal for the world and the environment. He leaves behind a tribe of people who love him, in the U.S. and around the world, including his wife, Lyne Brainerd Erving, his son, Peter (Elka), his daughter, Monika (Ben), and many family members and friends.

James H. Freisheim, Sr., Ph.D. ’66 (biochemistry)

Born July 19, 1937, in Tacoma, Wash.
Died Aug. 2, 2015, in Kenosha, Wis.

Dr. James H. Freisheim was born in Tacoma, Wash., and he was a graduate of Lincoln High School, Pacific Lutheran University and the University of Washington, where he received a Ph.D. in biochemistry in 1966. He did post-doctoral research at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla, Calif., until 1969, when he became a faculty member at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in their biochemistry department. In 1985, he joined the faculty of the Medical College of Ohio as the chair of their department of biochemistry and molecular biology. He held the McMaster Chair of Biochemistry and Biology.

After retirement in 1993, Dr. Freisheim returned to Tacoma, where he served on the board of Associated Ministries as well as the Rescue Mission. He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Sandra Jacobs Freisheim; his sons, James, Jr. and Hans; his sisters, Joan Pence and Debra Landon; his grandchildren, Tiffany and Hans II; and a great-grandchild, Megan.

Kenneth S. Laufer, M.D. ’66, Res. ’72, Res. ’73 (psychiatry)

Died Jan. 19, 2015

Charles W. Pratt, Ph.D. ’71 (genetics)

Died Sept. 20, 2015, in Price, Utah

Dr. Charles W. Pratt died in Price, Utah, with Marilyn, his wife of 46 years, by his side. He graduated from Oregon State University, and he received a Ph.D. in genetics from the University of Washington in 1971.

Dr. Pratt was a research scientist at the University of Oregon and MIT before being appointed professor of microbiology at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana. He taught there for 23 years before retiring to Olympia, Wash.

In Olympia, when he and Marilyn were not traveling around the world, he volunteered at the Thurston County Food Bank, Nisqually Wildlife Refuge, Volunteer Chores Services, and recently, Bloodworks Northwest. Dr. Pratt loved to learn, challenging himself to learn a subject completely and thoroughly, and his fascination with history — man-made or nature-made — led him to Utah so he could learn more about the dinosaurs that lived there long ago. He is survived by his brother, Richard; sister, Katherine; sisters-in-law, Linda Pratt and Barbara Hunten; brothers-in-law, Daryl Pierson and Howard Hunten; and nine nieces and nephews.

Terry L. Lanes, M.D. ’72

Born Feb. 17, 1942, in Anaconda, Mont.
Died Aug. 27, 2015, in Missoula

Dr. Terry L. Lanes passed away peacefully after a short illness at the age of 73. Dr. Lanes graduated from Anaconda High in 1960. Then he attended the University of Montana and the University of Washington, graduating in 1970 with a medical degree.

He served his medical internship at Deaconess Hospital in Spokane, Wash., before moving to Polson, Mont., where he had a thriving practice from 1973–1989. After deciding to continue his education as a psychiatrist, he served as senior resident at Dartmouth College for three years. In 1992, he returned to Missoula, where he worked in psychiatry for Western Montana Neuro Behavioral Specialists. In 2003, he went to work at Ft. Harrison in Helena, Mont. Several years later, he became the medical director for Western Montana Medical Health Center in Butte, Mont. From 2012–2015, he served as a staff psychiatrist at Montana State Hospital in Warm Springs, and, most recently, at Montana State Prison. He touched countless lives everywhere he went.

Dr. Lanes married Eileen McCurdy in 1965 and together they had two children, Eric and Heidi. After 35 years, they divorced. Dr. Lanes married his high-school sweetheart, Susan Blume, on August 25, 2000, and was blessed to acquire nine additional children. He enjoyed fly fishing, restoring classic automobiles and wood carving. Dr. Lanes served for many years at New Life in Polson, Mont., and also as a deacon at Hope Lutheran Church in Anaconda. He was able to serve, together with his daughter, Heidi, on five medical missions to Haiti.

Dr. Lanes is survived by his loving wife, Susan; his children, Eric (Paula), Heidi (Rob), Brian (Tiffeny), Joseph, Alan, Katie (Alan), Debbie, Ken (Amy), Dan, Mike (Karen), and Jenny (Randy); his brothers and sisters, Oscar “Butch” Lanes, Chuck (Sandy) Lanes, Susan Mehelich, Charlotte Cooper, Duane (Judy) Lanes, Carl (Patti) Lanes; sisters-in-law, Judy (Bill) Everett and Barbara (Reg) Scott; and numerous nieces, nephews and extended family.

James V. Felicetta, M.D. ’74

Born March 1, 1949, in Seattle, Wash.
Died Dec. 23, 2015, in Oxnard, Calif.

Dr. James V. Felicetta passed away at age 66, after a brief illness. After graduating from Bellingham High School in 1966, he received a B.S. in chemistry, graduating summa cum laude from the University of Washington in 1970. In 1974, he graduated from the UW School of Medicine, receiving Alpha Omega Alpha honors in his third year.

Dr. Felicetta did his internship and residency in internal medicine at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, and then returned to Seattle for three years of fellowship in endocrinology and metabolism. He embarked on an academic career that took him first to the University of Michigan Medical School, then to Wayne State University School of Medicine, and finally to the University of Arizona College of Medicine, where he worked for 27 years. Dr. Felicetta served as chief of medicine at the Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center in Phoenix, Ariz., from 1987–2014, during which time he directed extraordinary growth in the academic and research output of that institution.

Dr. Felicetta was the author of more than 150 scholarly articles, books, editorials and letters, and he was a highly esteemed lecturer. He served as governor of the Arizona chapter of the American College of Physicians (internal medicine physicians) in 2013 and 2014. He also served as editor-in-chief of the national peer-reviewed publication Federal Practitioner from 2006 until 2015. Dr. Felicetta married Susan Marie Roman on August 3, 1985. The newlyweds moved to Scottsdale, Ariz., two years later and soon began adopting a large, joyous family. They adopted a total of six children: John Paul (Goff), Michael Vincent (deceased), Julie Lynn, Alice Frances, Carolyn Rose and Robert James. Dr. Felicetta is survived by his loving wife, Susan; the five surviving children named above; his sister, Gail Alice Fulle; a special maternal aunt, Edie Irvine; and his brother-in-law, James P. Roman.

Edward J. O’Shaughnessy, M.D., Res. ’74 (physical medicine and rehabilitation)

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Dr. Edward Joseph O’Shaughnessy, 93, a medical doctor and a U.S. Army veteran, died in Arcadia Retirement Residence. He was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and he is survived by his son, Edward J. Jr., his daughters, Kathleen and Mary, and 18 grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Larry R. Pedegana, M.D., Res. ’75 (orthopaedics and sports medicine)

Born Jan. 5, 1941, in Issaquah, Wash.
Died Nov. 13, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. Pedegana, the Seattle Mariners’ team physician, was a pillar of the Mariners organization for nearly three decades, from 1977 through 2006. A star running back and linebacker at Issaquah High School and then Whitman College, Dr. Pedegana’s football career was ended by a knee injury. After receiving a medical degree from the University of Alberta, he did his residency at UW Medicine and trained in Southern California.

When the Seahawks launched in 1976, Dr. Pedegana served as an orthopaedic consultant. The Mariners began a year later and named Dr. Pedegana as their team physician. He performed hundreds of surgeries on Mariners players, and he regularly donated his time to clinics in Seattle and Eastern Washington.

Dr. Pedegana enjoyed hunting, fishing and motorcycles — and telling jokes. Former Mariners President Chuck Armstrong called Dr. Pedegana “a man of impeccable integrity.” He is survived by his daughter, Stacey, his son, Rob (Sandra), grandchildren Renee and Graeme, and two brothers: Ron and David and their families.

Read The Seattle Times’ excellent summary of Dr. Pedegana’s accomplishments and work with the Mariners.

Kathy J. Atkinson, M.D. ’77

Born June 2, 1951, in Missoula, Mont.
Died 2015

Dr. Kathy J. Atkinson knew what she wanted to do with her life from early childhood. She was awarded an academic scholarship to Cornell University, where she studied pre-med. She earned a medical degree from the UW School of Medicine, then moved to Salt Lake City, Utah, for residency. Dr. Atkinson then joined a fledgling group of ER physicians at Holy Cross Hospital in Salt Lake City and helped to invent the specialty of emergency medicine.

Dr. Atkinson was a professional who quickly gained the confidence of her patients. The partners and the nurses who worked with Dr. Atkinson remember her as one of the most beloved and esteemed physicians in the emergency departments of Holy Cross (later to become Salt Lake Regional), the VA and Mountain West in Tooele, Utah. She took pleasure in the simple things and had an easy laugh. By far, her greatest joy came from being a mother to her son, Will. Dr. Atkinson leaves behind her two great loves, Will and Tracy Christiansen; her sister, Cindy, and her brother, Bob; her nieces, Lacey Griffiths and Myki Gernaat; her nephew, Collin Griffiths; and her brother and sister-in-law, Barry and Trina Christiansen.

Carl Burroughs (Burr) Field III, M.D. ’77

Born Feb. 6, 1951, in Great Falls, Mont.
Died March 19, 2015, in Prosser, Wash.

Dr. Carl Burroughs Field III loved sports as a youth, leading the Choteau High School basketball team to win the Montana state championships. He attended Stanford University for his undergraduate degree, and there he met his future wife, Mary Jean Chase. They married in 1973; Dr. Field graduated from medical school in 1997. After an internship and family medicine residency, they moved to Prosser, Wash., where Dr. Field joined Dr. Ben Sonnichsen at Valley Family Medicine. In 2005, they joined Valley Vista Medical Group with Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic.

Dr. Field was known for his warmth and for going the extra mile; he made house calls, and he believed in caring for people holistically. He was an active member of Grace Fellowship Church, he loved animals, and he enjoyed cooking for friends and family. He also loved to grow flowers, especially roses and lilies.

Dr. Field is survived by his wife, Mary Jean, their children: Jeannie Rose, Rachel, Carl and Molly, and other family members.

Thomas M. Robbie, M.D., Res. ’80 (family medicine)

Born Oct. 5, 1950, in Queens, N.Y.
Died May 19, 2015

Dr. Thomas Michael Robbie passed away after a 10-year battle with Alzheimer’s disease. He attended the University of California, Berkeley and Tufts School of Medicine. Dr. Robbie practiced emergency medicine for 25 years in Washington, most notably at Providence General Medical Center in Everett. He also served as the medical director of the Providence Recovery Program for nearly 10 years.

Dr. Robbie had an unsurpassed zest for life. His love of skiing, fishing and bicycling was trumped only by his love of delicious food, outstanding wines and long-standing friendships that spanned the globe. His laugh was full of joy, and it easily filled a room. He will be greatly missed by all of those who knew and loved him. Dr. Robbie is survived by his wife of 20 years, Kim Steppe, and his two daughters, Madison and Leah Robbie.

Linda Joyce Michaud, M.Ed., M.D. ’82, Res. ’88 (rehabilitation medicine), M.S. ’88 (rehabilitation medicine)

Born August 12, 1951, in Nashua, N.H.
Died October 5, 2015, in Sandwich, Mass.

Dr. Linda J. Michaud passed away at the McCarthy Care Center in Sandwich, Mass., after a brief battle with cancer. Dr. Michaud’s educational background includes an M.D. from the UW School of Medicine, an M.Ed. in early childhood special education from the University of Washington and a B.S. in physical therapy from the University of Connecticut. She practiced pediatric physical therapy in New England and Alaska for five years prior to starting medical school.

Dr. Michaud dedicated her life to research and clinical specialties in congenital and acquired neurological and musculoskeletal conditions associated with disability in children. She was most recently a pediatric physiatrist and the director of pediatric physical medicine and rehabilitation research (PM&R) for Spaulding Rehabilitation Network/Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Cape Cod. Prior to this, Dr. Michaud served as the Aaron W. Perlman Professor of Pediatric PM&R and director of the Division of PM&R at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (1997–2013), and as professor of clinical PM&R and clinical pediatrics at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. Previously, she served as director of rehabilitation at Children’s Seashore House/Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and as an assistant professor at the University of Pennsylvania. She spent a year in post-earthquake Armenia as program director for Project HOPE’s pediatric rehabilitation education program.

Dr. Michaud has given more than 90 national and international presentations and is widely published in numerous medical journals. She also held multiple positions of national leadership in major organizations in her field of specialty. She was honored as one of the Best Doctors in America from 2008–2014. She enjoyed traveling, biking and kayaking the beautiful waters of Cape Cod. Dr. Michaud is survived by two sisters, Kathy Michaud and Paula dePontbriand (Marc), two nephews, a niece and four great-nieces and great-nephews.

Gene N. Peterson, M.D., Res. ’85, Res. ‘86 (anesthesiology), MHA, Ph.D.

Died Nov. 20 in Richmond, Va.

Dr. Gene N. Peterson was an anesthesiologist at Swedish-Edmonds (formerly Steven’s Memorial Hospital) and worked at Edmonds Anesthesia Associates. For many years, he worked at UW Medical Center, most recently as associate medical director and co-director of the Center for Clinical Excellence. Dr. Peterson graduated summa cum laude from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wis., with a bachelor’s degree in physics. A recipient of a Marshall Scholarship, he earned a Ph.D. in physical chemistry in 1980 at the University of Leeds, United Kingdom. He graduated from the University of Chicago School of Medicine (Pritzker) in 1982, and received a master’s degree in health administration from the University of Washington in 2004.

Dr. Peterson was a practicing anesthesiologist for his entire medical career. He went to Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Health in 2013 to become its first chief safety officer and associate dean for medical education. Because of his vision and his development of care delivery models, an endowed professorship was established at VCU Health, and Dr. Peterson was appointed the first professor of quality, safety and service in resident education.

Dr. Peterson is survived by his wife of 31 years, Sarah, and their children, Andrew and Carolyn. If you wish to make a contribution in his honor, you may give to UW Medical Center’s Social Work Emergency Fund, which provides patients and families with resources such as food, transportation and financial assistance.

Michael B. Agy, Ph.D., Fel. ’88 (laboratory microbiology)

Born June 4, 1946, in New York City, N.Y.
Died Sept. 25, 2015, in Edmonds, Wash.

Dr. Michael Bruce Agy, age 69, passed away at Swedish Edmonds Hospital. He earned a Ph.D. in microbiology at Washington State University and spent his 29-year career as a research scientist at the Washington National Primate Research Center at the University of Washington. Dr. Agy is survived by his wife, Karen; daughter, Erica (Mathew); and brothers, Dave (Winnie) and Peter (Gina).

Miguel A. Batlle, M.D. ’92

Born Sept. 27, 1953, in San Salvador, El Salvador
Died Oct. 4, 2015

Dr. Miguel Angel Batlle was born in San Salvador, El Salvador, and he served in the U.S. Navy for six years as a corpsman before attending the UW School of Medicine. He was a member of the Family Board of American Medicine, the American Medical Association and the Family Medical Association.

Dr. Batlle was a passionate outdoorsman who loved planting fruit trees, boating and fishing. No matter where he went, he always made sure he had beans, tortillas and avocados, staples of his culture. He was a man of the people and believed his life purpose was to help and serve others. Many patients commented that he wasn’t only their doctor, he was their friend.

His giant smile, giving heart and contagious laugh will be missed. Dr. Batlle is survived by his daughters, Ailish Tonacacihuatl, Xochiquetzal Aine, Caitrin Ixchel and their mother, Maureen Cassidy; his granddaughter, Keira Aleyah Mendoza; his sisters, Elizabeth Presidente, Maria Arevalo, Marta Bermudez, Nidia Batlle, Ilse Batlle, Mineta Batlle and Rosa Maria Batlle; and a host of other family and dear friends.

Charles D. Kuntz IV, M.D., Res. ’93 (surgery)

Born 1964
Died 2015

Dr. Charles D. Kuntz IV graduated with honors from St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati, Ohio, and was a chemistry scholar at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass., graduating magna cum laude and earning induction into Phi Beta Kappa. He received a medical degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in 1991 and was inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha, the national medical honor society. He completed a surgical residency at UW Medicine and completed orthopaedic and neurosurgical fellowships in London and Seattle.

In 2000, Dr. Kuntz joined the Mayfield Clinic, where he served as a board member, and the board of Mayfield Chiari Center. He served as a professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, as vice chairman of education and clinical affairs, and as director of the division of spine and peripheral nerve surgery for the neurosurgery department. Dr. Kuntz’s honors include several “best doctors” recognitions from both local and national sources, as well as other recognition.

Dr. Kuntz was characterized by family, friends, colleagues and patients as humble, kind, dedicated and loving. He was involved in several organizations, including his beloved opera board, and when he realized the value of music to healing, he helped develop a program to bring music to those in need. Dr. Kuntz is survived by his children, Charles and Maya, his parents, Charles and Marilyn, his siblings, Stephanie (Michael) and Patrick (Alison), and other family members.

Oliver D. Ochs, M.D. ’93

Born Aug. 10, 1967, in Tübingen, Germany
Died Sept. 23, 2015

Dr. Oliver D. Ochs died suddenly and unexpectedly while surfing in Portugal. Born in Tübingen, Germany, Dr. Ochs and his family came to the United States when he was 10 months old. Seattle was his home for most of his life. He graduated from Lakeside School in 1985, from Pomona College in 1989 and from the UW School of Medicine in 1993.

Dr. Ochs’ educational path continued through a residency in radiology at the University of Colorado and a fellowship in interventional radiology at the Dotter Institute in Portland, Ore. He practiced for 14 years as an interventional radiologist with Radia and quickly rose to leadership, most recently as president of the medical staff at Providence Regional Medical Center and vice president and chief medical officer for Radia.

Dr. Ochs was a man of great integrity, kindness and generosity, a loyal friend who always saw the best in everyone. His strong work ethic and dedication to patient care guided his practice, and his disarming charm put patients at ease. He was a collaborator and a firm believer that everyone can make a difference. He enjoyed sailing, heli-skiing, scuba diving, cycling and climbing, but family was always paramount to him. His encompassing love for his children could be heard in his voice whenever he spoke of them.

Dr. Ochs is survived by his wife, Mollie, their children, Ellie and Cooper, his parents, Hans and Ute, his sister, Ulrike, and many friends and family members around the world.

Christopher A. Heim, PA-C (Seattle Class 41)

Born March 29, 1967
Died Aug. 12, 2015

Mr. Christopher A. Heim passed away on August 12, 2015; he was retired from the military. At the time of his death, Mr. Heim was doing what he loved — riding his motorcycle. Although Mr. Heim was only 48 when he passed, he lived life as though every day might be his last.

Mr. Heim is survived by his wife, Yvonne, his son, Lance, his sister, Joanna, and his half-sister, Elizabeth Gaudette.

Faculty and Former Faculty

John A. Glomset, M.D.

Born Nov. 2, 1928, in Des Moines, Iowa
Died Aug. 28, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.

Dr. John A. Glomset, professor emeritus in biochemistry at UW Medicine, enrolled in the University of Chicago Young Scholars Program as a young man and later continued his undergraduate studies there. On a summer visit to Norway, Dr. Glomset fell in love with Scandinavia, and he returned to study medicine at the University of Uppsala in Sweden, where he received an M.D. and a Ph.D. in medical chemistry in 1960. He met his wife, Britt, while they were studying at the University of Uppsala, and their two boys, Peter and Nils, were born in Sweden. In 1960, Dr. Glomset accepted a position at the UW School of Medicine, where he became a professor of medicine in the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nutrition and, later, a professor in the Department of Biochemistry.

As a researcher, Dr. Glomset made several important contributions to the field of biochemistry. He performed groundbreaking work in understanding how atherosclerosis is caused by inflammation to the blood vessels. He also discovered the LCAT enzyme, which is crucial for understanding how cholesterol is transported in the blood. After a sabbatical at Clare College, Cambridge, Dr. Glomset did pioneering work on the effects of lipids on mammalian cell membranes. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences and the American Society of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Glomset enjoyed long collaborations with colleagues in Scandinavia, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Japan. Among many honors from universities in these countries, he particularly treasured an honorary doctorate from the University of Oslo.

Dr. Glomset is survived by his wife, Britt, his sons, Peter and Nils, and his grandsons, Alex and Marcus.

Douglas E. Green, M.D.

Died Jan. 21, 2016, in Salt Lake City, Utah

Dr. Douglas Green earned a bachelor’s degree from Dartmouth College and an M.D. from the University of Vermont. He did his internship at the University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington, Vt., and his residency at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H. Dr. Green completed a fellowship at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, where he worked as a staff radiologist for seven years.

After moving to Seattle, Wash., in 2007, Dr. Green became a UW associate professor of radiology. He specialized in computer tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and he co-directed the CT team at UW Medical Center. Dr. Green was an avid skier and organized his life around the backcountry slopes, spending winters in Salt Lake City, then working in Seattle the rest of the year, and he is remembered for his genuine, selfless and unmatched devotion to teaching and to his patients.

Dr. Green is survived by his mother, Phyllis, his brother and sister-in-law, Russell and Lauren, and their children, Becca and Noah.

Daniel C. Moore, Sr., M.D.

Born Sept. 9, 1918, in Cincinnati, Ohio
Died Sept. 6, 2015

Dr. Daniel C. Moore, Sr., clinical professor emeritus in anesthesiology at UW Medicine, graduated from Amherst College in 1940. After an externship in anesthesia and a rotating internship and residency at Wesley Memorial Hospital (now Northwestern Memorial Hospital), he received an M.D. from the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Ill., in 1945. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps from 1945–1947.

In 1947, Dr. Moore became the first chief of the department of anesthesiology and first director of anesthesiology at Virginia Mason Hospital. He established a residency training program there in 1950. In 1952, he led efforts to provide in-house anesthesia coverage to Virginia Mason’s obstetrical department, making it the first hospital in Seattle to provide 24-hour anesthesia services for labor and delivery. In 1983, Dr. Moore joined the Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine at UW Medicine, where he had been a clinical professor since 1963.
Dr. Moore taught regional anesthesia to physicians by having them mimic his techniques in the operating suites of numerous university hospitals in the U.S., England, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela. He was an investigator, and he authored four books, more than 200 publications and nine teaching videos.

Dr. Moore served as president of the Washington State Society of Anesthesiologists in 1949 and president of the American Society of Anesthesiologists in 1950. He also served as secretary of the American Medical Association’s section on anesthesiology from 1956–1958. He received several medical awards, including the Distinguished Service Award of the American Society of Anesthesiologists in 1976.

Dr. Moore is survived by his four children: Barbara M. Strauss, Nancy M. VanAmerongen, Daniel C. Moore, Jr., and Susan P. Moore, six grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

John N. Wettlaufer, M.D.

Born June 9, 1930, in Boston, Mass.
Died Sept. 20, 2015, in Gig Harbor, Wash.

Dr. John N. Wettlaufer, clinical professor emeritus in urology at UW Medicine, was a pioneer in military trauma surgery who translated his skills across disciplines into cancer research. Following undergraduate studies at Bates College in 1952, he gave up a baseball career with the Boston Red Sox to enlist in the U.S. Army, doing research in cryogenic injuries at Fort Knox. In 1958, Dr. Wettlaufer received an M.D. with honors from Georgetown University.

Following a residency at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Washington D.C., Dr. Wettlaufer became chief of urology in U.S. military hospitals in Japan, developing new surgical techniques to treat Vietnam War injuries. From 1969–1977, when he retired as a colonel, Dr. Wettlaufer mentored some 35 residents at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Wash. He wrote a book on trauma surgery with Dr. John Weigel, which was published in 2008. During the following 13 years at the University of Colorado, he used innovative surgical skills and his background in oncology to tackle pressing problems in previously untreatable aggressive cancers. In this period, Dr. Wettlaufer trained more than 70 residents in the dual approach of creative surgery and oncology, thereby parlaying the corpus of his experience into frontline cancer research.

During the Gulf War in 1990, the military realized that young physicians could not rely on receiving training from senior staff with real wartime experience, since most Vietnam veterans had retired. Dr. Wettlaufer consequently volunteered to return to active duty and, shortly thereafter, once again became chief of urology and residency program director at Madigan Army Medical Center, serving there from 1991–1995. Dr. Wettlaufer again retired from the military in 1995 but still served the U.S. Army as a consultant and as a clinical professor of surgery at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md.

In 2006, he became a clinical professor emeritus at the UW School of Medicine and served as president of the Puget Sound Urologic Society in 2011. Dr. Wettlaufer received the Legion of Merit award twice, the “A” prefix from the surgeon general of the U.S. Army, and the Stevenson Award from the Society of Government Service Urologists, of which he was president in 1975 and 1992. His true legacy lies in the many thousands of war veterans he helped, whose lives would be different were it not for the urgent care he delivered and the care delivered by people he trained and mentored.

Dr. Wettlaufer was predeceased by his wife, Rita C. Wettlaufer. He is survived by his sister, Marie Dora Thornburg, his children: Catherine Buehler, Captain USN Michael Wettlaufer and Dr. John S. Wettlaufer, and his grandchildren: Grace, Jay-Henry, Claire and Tor.


Darren M. Bronco

Born March 6, 1961, in Seattle, Wash.
Died September 20, 2015, in Bow, Wash.

Mr. Darren Michael Bronco grew up in Baltimore, Md., and Anacortes, Wash. He and his wife, Jeanine, had two children, Nick and Natalie Bronco.

Mr. Bronco built Pallet Services from the ground up, making significant contributions to the industry and to the National Wooden Pallet and Container Association. His thought process was analytical and creative, and he always presented his ideas logically and persuasively. He was a member of the Skagit Golf and Country Club, the National Wooden Pallet and Container Association, the Western Pallet Association, the Northwest Fisheries Association and many cigar clubs. Mr. Bronco invested in liver dialysis research and development at UW Medicine.

Mr. Bronco is survived by his daughter, Natalie Bronco; his sisters, Stacy Igoe and Rebecca Holder; his nephews, Jack Igoe, Owen Holder and Eli Holder; his brothers-in-law, Philip Igoe and Ted Holder; his special friend, Barbara Wallace; and many cousins. He was preceded in death by his son, Nicholas Bronco.

Mildred K. Dunn

Born Nov. 16, 1913, in Nampa, Idaho
Died Dec. 17, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.

Mrs. Mildred K. Dunn, Seattle patron of the arts and generous supporter of UW Medicine, graduated from Stanford University as the first alumna from Idaho. After moving to Seattle, she married attorney Bryant R. Dunn.

A great lover of the visual and performing arts, Mrs. Dunn was a contributor to the Seattle Art Museum, the Seattle Symphony and the Seattle Opera; she helped found the Washington Women’s Foundation. She also had a passion for American history, which led to her membership in a number of historical societies, among them the Winterthur Museum, Garden and Library, the National and Washington State Trusts for Historic Preservation and the Decorative Arts Trust. In her spare time, Mrs. Dunn enjoyed travelling and spending time with her family, including cruising the San Juan Islands and Gulf Islands with her grandchildren every summer.

Mrs. Dunn is survived by her children, Kathleen and Dennis, five grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.

David Freudmann

Died Nov. 13, 2015

Mr. Freudmann contributed to pathology research at UW Medicine. He was the beloved husband of Naomi for over 60 years and the loving father and father-in-law of Sharona and Emilio, Yael and Tamar. He is also the dear brother and brother-in-law of Mickey and Rachel, Joey and Vera, and the late Edmond and Barbara, and Roger. And he is the devoted grandfather of Andrea and Illan.

Willis L. Hubler, M.D.

Born May 6, 1922, in S.D.
Died Oct. 16, 2015, in Caldwell, Idaho

Dr. Willis Hubler earned a B.A. in chemistry from the University of Minnesota, graduating magna cum laude. After serving as a U.S. Army Reservist during World War II, he earned a degree in psychology and, in 1947, an M.D. from the University of Minnesota Medical School. Dr. Hubler was a fellow in internal medicine at the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research and received a post-M.D master’s degree in 1951.

Dr. Hubler moved to Caldwell, Idaho, where he established an internal medicine practice. In 1955, he was called to active duty from reserve status and was stationed at the Fort Eustis Army Post Hospital in Virginia as chief medical officer. Dr. Hubler attained the rank of major in July 1956 and was honorably discharged in June 1957. He served as program chair for the Idaho Heart Association and was instrumental in establishing Canyon County’s first publicly supported, paramedic-staffed ambulance service in 1975.

In 2012, Dr. and Mrs. Hubler (and friends and colleagues) generously established the Bruce E. Hubler, M.D. Endowed Scholarship for Idaho Medical Students at the University of Washington in honor of their son, Bruce E. Hubler, M.D. ’91, Fel. ’97, who passed away in 2012.

Dr. Hubler is survived by his wife, Sharon; their children Carol (Teri), Jennifer (Mark), Timothy and Alicia (Jay); and seven grandchildren.

Anita M. Lagerberg

Born in April 1932, in Tacoma, Wash.
Died in Sept. 2015

Mrs. Anita Marilyn Lagerberg lived a full life and was known to her family and friends as a dedicated wife, mother, educator, volunteer and philanthropist. She attended Stadium High School, UPS and the University of Washington (UW). While at the UW, she met Eugene (Gene) Lagerberg, M.D. ’58, Res. ’62, her microbiology lab partner and future husband. Mrs. Lagerberg graduated from the UW in 1954 with a degree in education.

Mrs. Lagerberg devoted much of her time to improving education and lives. In addition to being a strong supporter of her family’s activities, she spent 25 years volunteering in the Seattle Public Schools, including serving as PTA president and SCPTA president, among other roles. She served 20 years on King County’s Juvenile Diversion Community Accountability Board, was a founding member of Private Initiatives in Public Education (PIPE), and served on the City of Seattle’s Joint Advisory Commission on Education. She was also the Finding Urban Nature (FUN) program coordinator for the Seattle Audubon for 16 years and a member of Puget Sound Stereo Camera Club. She and Dr. Lagerberg contributed to a scholarship fund at UW Medicine.

Mrs. Lagerberg loved group gatherings, enjoyed world travel and took pride in giving each grandchild a personalized tour of Washington D.C. She is survived by Gene, her loving husband of 61 years; their children, Terry, Chris, Beth, Eric and Brian and their partners; 14 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Virginia Lee (Ginny) Meisenbach

Born in Piedmont, Calif.
Died Oct. 20, 2015

Mrs. Ginny Meisenbach died after a nearly two-year battle with lung cancer. She graduated from Piedmont High School in Piedmont, Calif., in 1962, and went on to study sociology and psychology at the University of Washington, graduating in 1966.

Mrs. Meisenbach worked tirelessly for many causes that were dear to her heart. She enjoyed hands-on work and participated in numerous trips to serve others: pouring concrete floors in Oaxaca, Mexico, holding babies in an orphanage in Romania and cleaning out the wreckage from homes in New Orleans, La., after Hurricane Katrina. She co-founded StolenYouth, a non-profit that works to prevent youth trafficking in the greater Seattle area. She also contributed her time and money to many other organizations, including UW Medicine, Global Partnerships, Make-A-Wish, Seattle Girls School, Seattle Children’s, Zion Preparatory Academy, Northwest Medical Teams, White River High School, the College Success Foundation, the Rwanda Girls Initiative, Seattle University and Atlantic Street Center. And she co-chaired the 2003 United Way campaign.

An avid outdoorswoman, Mrs. Meisenbach summited Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens twice, backpacked into the Idaho wilderness and biked hundreds of miles into Canada, Vermont, Utah and Montana. She was also deeply committed to her family.

Mrs. Meisenbach is survived by her husband of 45 years, John; her children, Mike Meisenbach, Michele (Meisenbach) and George Huff, Mark and Michele Meisenbach; and seven grandchildren.

Thomas N. Melin

Born Nov. 16, 1922, in Los Angeles, Calif.
Died Aug. 4, 2015, in Rancho Mirage, Calif.

Mr. Thomas N. Melin passed away peacefully at his home at the age of 92. He was the elder brother of Arthur “Spud” Melin. He met the love of his life, Dorothy Virginia Wright, while summering on Balboa Island when he was just 16. Their courtship involved sailing and grilled cheese sandwiches. It was the start of a relationship that would last 69 years until Virginia’s death. Upon graduation from Flintridge Preparatory School, Melin went on to Pomona College.

After service in the U.S. Air Force during World War II, Mr. Melin married Ms. Wright. They lived in Pasadena, Calif., where Mr. Melin was employed in the family wholesale lumber business, then they relocated to Longview, Wash., where Mr. Melin became the manager of Van Vleet Lumber Co. In 1955, Van Vleet Lumber Co. burned to the ground. Known for his skill at tinkering and designing, Mr. Melin engineered the construction of a new lumber mill, Rainier Manufacturing Co., which revolutionized the lumber process. Mr. Melin sold Rainier Manufacturing to Crown Zellerbach in 1972. After his business sold, he and Virginia purchased a home in Rancho Mirage, Calif. In 2007, Virginia was stricken with cancer and passed away.

Mr. Melin was an avid runner, skier, water-skier, bicyclist and tennis player, and he contributed to the Department of Urology at UW Medicine. His survivors include his children: John Melin, Ross Melin, Mary Melin Heckmann and Dave Melin, 13 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

Mrs. William H. (Emily) Stimson

Born April 4, 1924, in Savannah, Ga.
Died August 29, 2015, in Bellevue, Wash.

Mrs. Emily O’Connor Stimson was born into a Coast Guard officer’s family and attended nine different schools by the time she graduated high school. She attended the University of Connecticut and was a proud member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. Mrs. Stimson graduated with a degree in early childhood development and moved on to a position at Connecticut College.

In 1945, she married William H. Stimson, M.D., UW emeritus faculty. They lived in four different cities before settling in Hunts Point, Wash., where they stayed until Dr. Stimson’s death in 2004. Mrs. Stimson loved social activities and meeting new people. In 2008, she established the William H. Stimson, M.D. Endowed Scholarship Fund at UW to honor her late husband and help M.D. students with financial need.

Mrs. Stimson is survived by her three children, Richard, Barbara (John), and John B. Stimson, M.D. ’81, Res. ’84, Chief Res. ’85 (Kay), four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Henry Van Beber

Born Sept. 28, 1932, in Columbus, Kan.
Died Sept. 28, 2015, in Anacortes, Wash.

Mr. Henry Van Beber grew up in Columbus, Kan., and attended Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College, where he met his wife, Bette. They married in 1952 and were happily married for 59 years. Mr. Van Beber served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, and the family settled in Dallas, Texas, to raise four children.

Mr. Van Beber and his wife founded a screen printing company, Marking Systems, Inc. In 1992, he retired and moved to Anacortes, Wash., where he spent the next 10 years boating the Puget Sound with friends and family. Mr. Van Beber’s favorite hobby was woodworking, and he made most of the furniture in his home. In 2011, Bette Van Beber passed away after battling Alzheimer’s disease. Mr. Van Beber became a strong supporter of Alzheimer’s research at UW Medicine.

He is survived by his children, Cindy, Nancy, Matt and Greg, and 11 grandchildren.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

Make a Gift

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 |