Endless Opportunities for Alumni

As I begin my second year as president of the UW School of Medicine Alumni Association, I have been reflecting on my term thus far. Since joining the Alumni Leadership Council, I have welcomed first-year students at the Stethoscope Ceremony. I have presented new white coats — adorned with our medical school’s crest — to second-year students. I have participated in the Capstone Program, preparing fourth-year students for internships. I have hosted students in my home for dinner to discuss their interests and careers. And I have connected with alumni of all ages at a variety of events, from reunions to board meetings.

From our days in school to our years as alumni, our relationship with UW Medicine is made up of moments that, when woven together, create our lifelong bond with the School and with our classmates and fellow alumni. Last June’s Reunion Weekend contained a number of those incredibly memorable moments. Over the course of two days, I reconnected with my own classmates, mingled with alumni from other classes and congratulated recipients of our distinguished alumni awards. What struck me during the weekend is how meaningful our connection with the School is, whether you graduated 15 years ago (as in my case) or more than 50 years ago.

Another highlight of my first year as president has been the recruitment of new members to the Alumni Leadership Council. There are many alumni who want to make a difference in the lives of our students and our graduates, and it has been rewarding to connect those interested in getting more involved with fitting opportunities.

With that, I invite you to get involved. You can contribute regardless of where you live. Add your name to our list of alumni mentors, and let us share your contact information with students who would like to hear about your career. Open your home to students who are traveling to your area for residency interviews. Consider hosting a clerkship. Join your class reunion committee, and enjoy the thrill of connecting with classmates you have not been in touch with for years. Learn about Accelerate: The Campaign for UW Medicine, and consider supporting an area of UW Medicine that is meaningful to you. Participating in any of these opportunities will leave you feeling fulfilled — and proud of your affiliation with the UW School of Medicine.

Scott Stuart, M.D. ’01, Res. ’04, Chief Res. ’05
President, UW School of Medicine Alumni Association
medalum@uw.edu

P.S. For more information, visit uwmedalumni.org or contact our alumni relations staff at 206.685.1875, toll free at 1.866.633.2586, or medalum@uw.edu.

Connect With Us

Help us go green

Help us go green
Update your email address

Send a ClassNote

Send a ClassNote
Send an update

Write the editor

Write the editor
Tell us what you think

UW Medicine UW School of Medicine

Box 358045, Seattle, WA 98195-8045 206.685.1875 | medalum@uw.edu