Paul E. Strandjord and Kathleen J. Clayson Endowed Chair
The Paul E. Strandjord and Kathleen J. Clayson Endowed Chair was established as a professorship in 2008; in 2009, with additional contributions, it was elevated to a chair.
Paul E. Strandjord, M.D. (1931–2001), was the founding chair of the Department of Laboratory Medicine at UW Medicine, and he served in that capacity for 25 years until his retirement in 1994. Under his leadership, clinical laboratories at UW Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center grew to encompass a broad spectrum of laboratory specialties and research areas and to provide excellent services for patients. In addition, Dr. Strandjord provided a nurturing environment for faculty and students at all levels to pursue new directions in research.
Kathleen J. Clayson (1929–2008) was one of the founding faculty members of the Department of Laboratory Medicine, accompanying Dr. Strandjord when he joined the faculty in 1969. She worked closely with Dr. Strandjord in the administrative structure of the new department, in recruitment of additional faculty members, and in organizing the existing clinical laboratories at the medical centers to improve the quality and scope of services offered. She retired in 1994 after 25 years of service.
Created by gifts from the estates of Miss Clayson and Dr. Strandjord, this endowment was established to support faculty members who will carry on the traditions they established at the University of Washington: fostering exemplary clinical laboratory service, advancing education for laboratory medicine students and trainees, encouraging educational opportunities for medical students, and promoting research in the advancement of clinical laboratory science. Additional contributions from Kathleen Clayson’s estate allowed the professorship to become a chair in December 2009.
If you are interested in supporting this work, please make a gift.