Founders of the Friends of the UW School of Medicine Scholarship
The Medical Faculty Wives organization was established in 1949 by the wives of many of the School of Medicine’s founding faculty members. In 1978, the organization expanded its role and changed its name to the Medical School Auxiliary. In 1993, the group expanded its membership and changed its name, once again, to the Friends of the University of Washington School of Medicine.
Throughout its history, the Friends of the School of Medicine has been dedicated to supporting the School’s mission, especially by providing support to medical students. To honor the founding members of the Friends — Marion Haviland, Betty Ripley, Dixie Rushmer, Katherine Turner, Janet Ward, and Andrea “Bunny” Williams — and to ensure that students receive much-needed scholarship support, in 2006 the group created the Founders of the Friends of the UW School of Medicine Scholarship Fund. The Founders Fund is one of several funds created by the Friends of the School of Medicine.