James W. Haviland, M.D. and Edward L. Turner, M.D. Endowed Scholarship
James W. Haviland, M.D., was born in Glens Falls, N.Y., in 1911. He was a graduate of Johns Hopkins University, and, in 1953, became acting dean of the UW School of Medicine. Dr. Haviland also was deeply involved in the creation of UW Medical Center, and co-founded the Seattle Artificial Kidney Center, now called Northwest Kidney Centers.
Dr. Haviland’s legacy to the School of Medicine — and to the Puget Sound region — will long be remembered: in his contributions as an internal medicine practitioner, as a founder of the UW School of Medicine and Northwest Kidney Centers, as a faculty member and emeritus faculty member at UW Medicine, and as an advocate for children. He also will be remembered as a generous contributor, one who made many gifts to UW Medicine during his lifetime.
In addition to his other contributions, Dr. Haviland created a planned gift to benefit UW Medicine, with the directive that the fund be used “for whatever purpose the School may select as a suitable memorial to Edward L. Turner, M.D., first Dean of the School of Medicine and the first Chairman of the Board of Health Sciences of the University of Washington.” When Dr. Haviland passed away in 2007, UW Medicine decided to use Dr. Haviland’s gift to create the James W. Haviland, M.D. and Edward L. Turner, M.D. Endowed Scholarship.
Edward L. Turner, M.D., was born in 1900 and earned an M.S. at the University of Chicago; he later earned an M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. After serving as the head of the department of medicine at the American University of Beirut in Lebanon, Turner and his family returned to the United States. He served as president of Meharry Medical School in Nashville, Tenn., and was called out of private practice in 1945 at the prospect of being the first and highly influential dean of the UW School of Medicine.
Many years later, Dr. James Haviland and his first wife, Marion, championed the creation of the Turner Society Fund, a student-support fund created to pay tribute to Dr. Turner, Dr. Haviland’s colleague and friend.