The Turner Society
Our contributors are our partners, and we are very pleased to recognize their gifts to our work.
Named after Edward L. Turner, M.D., the dedicated and visionary founding dean of the UW School of Medicine, the Turner Society is a group of contributors whose generous annual gifts to UW Medicine — totaling $1,000 or more in any fiscal year, July 1 to June 30 — are essential to our work in research, education and patient care. Learn more about the benefits we offer to Turner Society members.
The Turner Society Story
Edward L. Turner, M.D., came to Seattle in 1945, his mission to develop a modern school of medicine at the University of Washington. In the course of just a few short years, Dean Turner hired the founding faculty of the UW School of Medicine — drawing top medical scholars from across the country — and helped raise a new building for health sciences education and research. And with energy, vision and deep reserves of compassion, he imparted to medical students and colleagues alike a strong belief in hard work, integrity and scientific curiosity.
Dr. Turner’s legacy can be seen to this day, and not only in UW Medicine’s faculty, students and staff. His commitment to excellence, caring and responsibility is also exemplified by the members of the Turner Society — a group, founded in 1988, whose generous annual gifts to UW Medicine are essential to our work in research, education and patient care.
Photos provided courtesy of Event Photos Northwest and EMP Museum.