Flying to Required Away Clerkships
Six weeks prior to the beginning of the clerkship:
- Students receive an automatic email requesting travel information.
(Students are responsible for contacting the Travel Desk whether or not they receive the automated email.)
- Students must contact the Dean's Office travel desk with their preferred date and time of departure and return.
- All arrangements must be finalized at least four weeks prior to the start of the clerkship.
- Students must respond to the SOM travel agent's itinerary within 24 hours to approve ticketing. Students will be responsible for increased costs due to late approval.
AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT CHANGE FEES:
Students are responsible for contacting their department and clerkship site to confirm the start and end dates for their clerkship to ensure the correct travel dates are selected. Students are to keep in mind that some clerkships have travel days and required exams which will impact travel return dates. Students are responsible for any fees associated with changes made after booking except when:
If a student makes a mistake about the travel dates when booking airfare, the student will be responsible for paying any fees related to changing their ticketing. Check your clerkship beginning/end/exam dates before you approve an itinerary! University policy does not allow the SOM to pay these fees for you.
- Rotation canceled by clerkship site or UWSOM department
- Flight canceled by airline
- Unexpected death of student's family member
- Unexpected illness of student which requires cancelation of rotation
Cars available at clerkship sites
Very few sites provide cars for student use. You should expect to provide your own
transportation. Except for at a few remote required clerkship sites in Alaska, the School
will not reimburse you for a rental car for travel to/between clerkship sites, nor will a rental
car be provided while at the site. There will be no reimbursement for rental cars if you fly to
a site that does not have a vehicle on site for use.
Contact Academic Affairs to learn the current
policy regarding remote Alaska required clerkship sites.