|UW Graduate and Professional Student Senate|
The Diversity Committee (DC) promotes the inclusion and involvement of all graduate and professional students at UW-Seattle, and awareness and understanding of the diversity of students in graduate higher education. The DC also works to incorporate diversity elements into GPSS’s goals and activities. Diversity includes but is not limited to considerations of: race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, Veteran status, socio-economic status, and ability.
- Establishes communication links with graduate and professional students working with diversity issues within their department, college, or school
- Advocates for department and University policies to recruit and retain a more diverse graduate and professional student body and faculty
- Establishes criteria for an award grants from the GPSS Diversity Fund
- Collaborates with students, faculty, the administration, staff, or others on diversity programming, events, or activities.
- Interfaces with University organizations and offices working on diversity issues, including but not limited to: GO-MAP, the Q Center, the Disability Resources for Students Office, the Women’s Center, the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity, the Office of Minority Affairs Student Advisory Board, and the ASUW Joint Commissions.
Members: The Secretary, between five to nine graduate or professional students, and a chair elected by the members of the committee.
Meetings: Minimum of twice per quarter, depending on work load.
Community Affairs Subcommittee Members, 2012-2013:
- Secretary: Kristin Hosey
- Chair: Joey Hunziker, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Alan-Michael Weatherford, Comparative Literature
- Britta Padgham, Marine and Environmental Affairs
- Finis Ray, Urban Planning and Landscape Architecture
- Kimberly Swenson, Libarary and Information School
- Moroni Benally, Evans School of Public Affairs
- Megan Crenshaw, Law and Evans School of Public Affairs
WE ARE ACCEPTING MORE COMMITTEE MEMBERS - we are in the process of expanding committee membership and revising the bylaws.
Meetings: Fall Quarter on Fridays at 12:30m in the HUB 303.
GPSS Secretary Kristen Hosey: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently collecting information about groups on campus working on diversity. You can find a list of groups here, and if you know of others please contact the GPSS Secretary with that information.