The Summer 2015 Application is now open.
Please take care to follow all directions carefully.
We have to disqualify a number of excellent applications each quarter due to small errors.
What is a Travel Grant?
In an effort to help improve graduate and professional student life at the University of Washington, the GPSS Travel Grants Program contributes funds to qualifying individuals’ travel expenses for active conference participation in the US and abroad. This is done in an effort to facilitate and promote the intellectual and professional development of graduate and professional students at the University of Washington, but also to encourage mutually beneficial interaction among students and GPSS senators. GPSS travel grants further contribute to the strengthening of the University and its increased prominence in the greater scholarly community through the broadening of students’ personal and academic development through exposure to the work of others elsewhere. Students whose conference participation might otherwise be unfunded, have strong academic credentials and are making fair progress towards their respective degrees are encouraged to apply. Each award will be for $300 domestic and $500 international.
UW (Seattle) graduate and professional students enrolled and in good standing may apply for this travel grant. Active participation (presenting a paper or poster, chairing a session or panel, etc.) at an academic conference is required and proof of acceptance is required with this application (see below). Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 to be considered.
Students may apply for this grant up to one term before participating in the conference event, during the term of participation. Students may not apply for funding if their conference/event will occur before the quarter deadline. Only one application per conference event/presentation is permitted, however. Though students may apply only once per conference event, one may apply many times as they like during their UW student career for different events/presentations. One may only receive GPSS travel funding once every three years (with a maximum of two awards during one’s UW student career).
Application materials will be available the first day of each quarter.
The following items are all required for an application to be considered complete. Applications missing any component below will not be considered.
1. Completed application (Cover Sheet and Student Self-Assessment)
2. Conference acceptance letter or email - copy and pasted into the electronic application
3. Copy of paper/poster abstract, proposal, or other appropriate summary of presentation - copy and pasted into the electronic application
4. Unofficial UW transcript (PDF from MyUW website)
5. One Faculty Assessment
Item 1 will automatically be submitted through the electronic form. There are fields for Items 2 and 3 on the final page of the electronic form. Item 4 must be submitted as a PDF file via email to the GPSS Treasurer: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies will not be accepted. Faculty must submit Item 5 (Faculty Assessment) directly to the email@example.com.
Applications are due by midnight on the Friday of the fourth week of each term (autumn, winter, and spring, instructions for summer application below). You will be notified about the outcome of your application by the end of week seven of the term. Late applications will not be considered.
2014-2015 Deadline Dates:
|Early Application Deadline||Regular Application Deadline|
|Fall Quarter||Not Implemented for 14-15||October 24|
|Winter Quarter||Not Implemented for 14-15||January 30|
|Spring Quarter||March 30||April 24|
2015-2016 Deadline Dates:
|Application Opens||Application Deadline||Eligible Conference Dates|
|Summer 2015||May 5, 2015||Rolling||August 3, 2015||July 15 - November 6, 2015|
|Fall Quarter||September 30, 2015||n/a apply for Summer deadline||October 23, 2015||November 7, 2015- February 5, 2016|
|Winter Quarter||December 11, 2015||January 4, 2016||January 29, 2016||January 8 - February 12, 2016||February 13 - April 29th, 2016|
|Spring Quarter||March 11, 2016||March 28, 2016||April 22, 2016||April 8- May 6, 2016||May 7 - August 31, 2016|
|Summer 2016||April 29, 2016||Rolling||August 1, 2016||July 15 - November 4, 2016|
Frequently Asked Questions
How is it determined who will receive travel grants?
- The Travel Grants Committee, which is composed of approximately ten members, reviews each application and scores it according to a rubric. Each application is scoredby at least three committee members. The committee then meets, reviews the scores assigned, and determines which applications will be funded.
Can I obtain a copy of my electronic application?
- No, unfortunately you cannot receieve a copy of your electronic application.
Can I submit my faculty recommendation?
- The faculty recommendation must come from the faculty member's email address, therefore you cannot submit it.
Once I have been awarded a travel grant, how will I receive the funds?
- The funds will transfer, via Transfer & Authorization form, to the budget number provided in your application. The form will have a purpose line that reads "Purpose: Provide Funding for YOUR NAME", followed by a description that states the conference name, date, and location.
Are travel grants awarded based solely on financial need?
- Travel grants are not awarded based solely on financial need, however the degree of financial need is heavily considered when scoring the application.
Where can I find the budget number required by the application?
- The application requires a budget number so that it can transfer awarded funds to your department. Therefore, it is best to talk to your department to determine which budget number they would like you to use.
Can multiple people from the same lab or project team apply for travel grants?
- Only one person from a lab or project team is typically chosen, but you are welcome to submit multiple applications. In this situation, it is highly recommended that each application is unique.
Please contact your GPSS Senator or the GPSS Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.