FROG Home - Grading Policies - UW Grade Reporting

UW Grade Reporting

Students depend on grades for their academic survival. They need them to:

  • prove satisfactory academic progress
  • fulfill prerequisite requirements for registration
  • remain eligible for athletic programs
  • receive appropriate honors
  • remain eligible for scholarships
  • remain eligible for financial aid and other government-sponsored programs like veterans' benefits
  • graduate

The University's goal is to provide students with grades in time for them to meet deadlines regarding the fulfillment of their academic obligations. We do this by:

  • encouraging instructors to submit grades in a timely manner
  • finding the most efficient means to correct errors


Submitting Grades

Faculty Grade Report (FGR) forms are no longer in use. Instructors may use either GradePage or GradeBook to submit grades online to the Office of the Registrar. For more information see Online Grading Resources and Online Grading FAQ.

Grade Definitions

The UW utilizes a standard numeric grading system, however, alternate grade forms are also used.

Credit/No Credit
Instructors may choose to grade an entire class on a Credit/No Credit basis. This choice depends on department approval and must be made before registration for the course occurs. Please contact Matt Winslow, Assistant Registrar (206-543-0991; if you have a question about the grading option for your course.

S/NS and CR/NC
Students may choose to be graded on a Satisfactory (2.0 or higher) or Not Satisfactory (less than 2.0) basis through the seventh week of the quarter. There will be no indication on the FGR if a student has selected the S/NS option; submit all grades as usual. The grade you submit will be converted to S or NS. Courses graded S/NS are not applicable to specific degree requirements, but are applicable to the 180 hours of elective credit students need to graduate. If a student has a question about S/NS, refer them to Graduation and Academic Records (206-543-1803;

Incompletes should be given only to students who have satisfactorily performed in your class to within two weeks of the end of the quarter. Incompletes should never be given to students who are not making satisfactory progress.

Undergraduate students who do not have their Incomplete converted to a grade by the end of the next quarter will have it automatically converted to a 0.0 at that time. You may, however, mark another alternate grade. If the undergraduate student takes no action, their grade will revert to the alternate grade indicated by you at the end of the next quarter instead of a 0.0. An extension of up to three quarters can be given by the instructor under exceptional circumstances, such as if the instructor or student will be away from the campus for an extended time. For such an extension to be granted, the instructor must write a note to that effect at the time of granting the "I" grade to the Graduation and Academic Records Office.

An "X" grade appears on a student's transcript when the instructor has not yet assigned a grade for a particular course or has marked the column "No Grade Now" on the Faculty Grade Report (FGR). These grades remain on a student's record until a grade is submitted. The "X" grade option only signifies that the instructor has not completed evaluating a student's performance and isn't prepared to assign a final grade -- do not affect the GPA, but they do affect student status and eligibility for some types of financial aid. As a result, instructors should make every effort to submit grades in a timely manner.

Changing Grades

Use the online Change-of-Grade Request to:

  • submit a corrected or changed grade
  • submit a grade for a grade previously recorded as X or N
  • convert an incomplete to a numeric grade

Issues Relating to Dropping a Class

Once a quarter has begun, students who experience circumstances that make it difficult or impossible to complete courses, such as family emergencies, health problems, etc., should consider dropping courses or withdrawing for the quarter.

Giving students early feedback
Students may also wish to drop a course if they discover that they are not adequately prepared. If possible, give a pre-test, early unit exam, or other assignment early in the quarter so students can have feedback on their performance before the add/drop period is over. Provide a complete syllabus including:

  • the expected work load of the course
  • the skills students are expected to have coming into the course
  • sample problems or assignments students are expected to be able to complete
  • common reasons why students have had to drop this course in the past

Grade Appeals

A student who believes that the instructor erred in the assignment of a grade, or who believes a grade recording error or omission has occurred must pursue resolution no later than the end of the following quarter (not including summer quarter). The process involves up to two steps; first a discussion with the instructor, and second, failing resolution there, a written appeal within 10 days to the chair (or dean, in some instances).