Our mission is to close the gap between the world’s 1 billion people who experience relatively good health and the 5 billion who experience much lower levels of health through teaching (education, training, and mentoring), research, and service programs.
Through excellence, innovation and collaboration, we will improve the health of all children and adolescents by educating the pediatric and physician leaders of the future, advancing research, advocating for children and providing the nation’s best primary and specialty pediatric clinical care. In partnership with our health care and academic institutions, we will create a collegial environment where academic faculty can reach their personal and professional goals.
For more than five decades, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology has forged a tradition of excellence in patient care, teaching, research, and service. Under the leadership of chairs Russell de Alvarez, Charles Hunter, Walter Herrmann, Morton Stenchever, Steven Gabbe, and David Eschenbach working in collaboration with an outstanding faculty, the Department has had significant impact in each of these areas locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
1,000 Days promotes action and investment to improve nutrition for mothers and children in the 1,000 days from a woman’s pregnancy through her child’s 2nd birthday, when better nutrition can have a life-changing impact on a child’s future and help break the cycle of poverty.
Coast Provincial General Hospital is located by the seaside resort city of Mombasa. Designated as a provincial hospital, CPGH is a Level 5 facility handling a wide array of cases and specialties referred to it from the district level within Coast Province. The 500-bed capacity hospital is the largest hospital within Kenya’s Coast province and is designated to handle the more complex medical cases from the district hospitals within its jurisdiction under the referral system.
Treatment, Research, and Expert Education (TREE) is dedicated to addressing the health needs of people living in resource-limited settings through quality medical care, academic research, training and education.
For more than 50 years, icddr,b has been a beacon of high-quality research in South Asia. It has led research that has saved millions of lives. From its origins as a centre specialising in diarrhoeal diseases, it is now an internationally recognised centre of excellence across a wide range of conditions.
Our mission is to influence public health policy, improve the standards of healthcare and be at the centre of control and eradication of tropical and infectious diseases through research, training and practice.
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a state corporation established through the Science and Technology (Amendment) Act of 1979, as the national body responsible for carrying out health research in Kenya. Since it’s inception, KEMRI has developed a critical mass of scientists and technical personnel, to enable it mount a competitive research infrastructure to rank as a leading centre of excellence in health research both in Africa as well as globally.
Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi is the oldest hospital in Kenya. Founded in 1901 with a bed capacity of 40 as the Native Civil hospital, it was renamed the King George VI in 1952. At that time the settler community were served by the nearby European Hospital (now Nairobi Hospital). It was renamed Kenyatta National Hospital — after Jomo Kenyatta — following independence from the British. It is currently the largest referral and teaching hospital in the country.
The institution which is situated at the centre of Kisumu city, just next to Kisumu Bus Park, is said to have been established in the year 1900 during the building of Kenya – Uganda Railway. Initially it was an army barracks for the colonial government. It was where the officers in the barracks went for treatment whenever they felt sick. It served the whole Western Region.
The Strengthening Care Opportunities through Partnership in Ethiopia (SCOPE) project is a partnership between the University of Washington’s Department of Global Health, University Presbyterian Church in Seattle, Washington, the University of Gondar, Ethiopia, and the North Gondar Diocese of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. With limited funding and in a short time frame, SCOPE has achieved remarkable success by developing a model of collaborative engagement between the religious and medical communities towards a common goal of improving the lives of people affected by HIV/AIDS.
We are united by a compelling mission: to prevent, treat and eliminate pediatric disease. Together, we deliver superior patient care, advance new discoveries and treatments through pediatric research and serve as the pediatric and adolescent academic medical center for Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho – the largest region of any children’s hospital in the country. In 2015, U.S. News & World Report ranked Seattle Children’s No. 6 in the country among the nation’s best children’s hospitals.
The Strategic Analysis, Research and Training Program (START) is a multidisciplinary research team housed in the Department of Global Health at the University of Washington (UW) that provides rigorous and timely research to Global Programs at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The University of Gondar is one of the oldest universities in Ethiopia. Established in 1954 as a Public Health College and Trainingcampus Center, the University has steadily grown and evolved into one of the top education institutions in the country today. As we celebrate our 60th anniversary, we look forward to a future as the country’s leading societal problem solving university.
The University of Nairobi, a body corporate established under the Universities Act 2012 of the laws of Kenya and the University of Nairobi Charter, is the pioneer institution of University education in Kenya and the region. The only institution of higher learning in Kenya for a long time, the University of Nairobi responded to the national, regional and Africa’s high level manpower training needs by developing and evolving strong, diversified academic programmes and specializations in basic sciences, applied sciences, technology, humanities, social sciences and the arts.
Kisii Teaching & Referral Hospital was built in 1916 by the then colonial government to treat injured Soldiers. It has expanded over time and operated as a District hospital untill 2007 when it was upgraded to a level 5 status. Kisii Teaching & Referral Hospital is a regional referral hospital covering South Nyanza, South Rift and entire Gusii Region. It has a catchment of 3 million people and a staff establishment of about 500 workers and 13 specialists.