1. Rivara FP, Calonge N, Thompson RS. Population-based study of unintentional injury
incidence and impact during childhood. American Journal of Public Health, 1989;
2. Gallagher S, Finison K, Guyer B et al. The incidence of injuries among 87,000 Massachusetts
children and adolescents: results of the 1980-1981 statewide childhood injury prevention
program surveillance system. American Journal of Public Health, 1984; 74: 1340-1347.
3. Rivara FP, Alexander B, Johnston B, Soderberg R. Population-based study of fall
injuries in children and adolescents resulting in hospitalization or death. Pediatrics,
1993; 92: 61- 63.
4. Blaxall MCD. Child falls: morbidity and mortality in the North Health Region. Safekids,
Starship Childrens Hospital, Auckland, NZ, 1995.
5. Coats TJ, Allen M. Baby walker related injuries a continuing problem. Archives
of Emergency Medicine, 1991; 8: 52-55.
6. Fazen LE, Felizberto PI. Baby walker injuries. Pediatrics, 1982; 70: 106-109.
7. Barlow B, Niemirska M, Gandhi RP, Leblanc W. Then years experience with falls from
a height in children. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 1983; 18: 509-11.
8. Christoffel KK. How can we prevent children from falling out of windows. Presentation
at the "Kidss cant fly" conference, Chicago, Illinois, January
9. Spiegel CN, Lindaman FC. Children cant fly: a program to prevent childhood
morbidity and mortality from window falls. American Journal of Public Health, 1977;
67: 1143- 1147.
10. Musemeche CA, Barthel M, Cosentino C, Reynolds M. Pediatric falls from heights. Journal
of Trauma, 1991; 31: 1347-49.
11. Ball DJ, King KL. Playground injuries: a scientific appraisal of popular concerns.
Journal of the Royal Society of Health, 1991; 111: 134-7.
12. Kotch JB, Chalmers DJ, Langley JD, Marshall SW. Child day care and home injuries
involving playground equipment. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 1993; 29:
13. Morrison ML, Fise ME. Report and model law on public play equipment and areas. Consumer
Federation of America. Washington D.C., 1992.
14. Briss PA, Sacks JJ, Addiss DG, Kresnow M, ONeill J. A nationwide study of
the risk of injury associated with day care center attendance. Pediatrics, 1994;
15. Lewis LM, Naunheim R, Standeven J and Naunheim KS. Quantitation of impact attenuation
of different playground surfaces under various environmental conditions using a
tri-axial accelerometer. Journal of Trauma, 1993; 35: 932-5.
16. CPSC. Playground Surfacing. Washington, DC.: US Government Printing Office Document
17. Sacks JJ, Holt KW, Holmgreen P, Colwell LS, Brown JM. Playground hazards in Atlanta
child care centers. American Journal of Public Health, 1990; 80: 986-988.
18. Sacks JJ, Brantley MD, Holmgreen P, Rochat RW. Evaluation of an intervention to
reduce playground hazards in Atlanta child-care centers. American Journal of Public
Health, 1992; 82: 429-431
19. Sosin DM, Keller P, Sacks JJ, Kresnow M, van Dyck PC. Surface specific fall injury
rates on Utah school playgrounds. American Journal of Public Health, 1993; 83: 733-5.
20. Davidson LL, Durkin MS, Kuhn L, OConnor P, Barlow B, Heagarty MC. The impact
of the Safe Kids/Health Neighborhoods Injury Prevention Program in Harlem, 1988
through 1991. American Journal of Public Health, 1994; 84: 580-586.
21. Lesage D, Robitaille Y, Dorval D, Beaulne G. Does play equipment conform to the
Canadian standard? Canadian Journal of Public Health, 1995; 86: 279-83.
22. Baker MD, Bell RE. The role of footwear in childhood injuries. Pediatric Emergency
Care, 1991; 7: 353-5.
23. AMA Board of Trustees. Use of Infant Walkers. AJDC 1991; 145: 933-34.
24. Fazen LE, Felizberto PI. Baby walker injuries. Pediatrics, 1982; 70: 106-109.
25. Stoffman JM, Bass MJ, Fox AM. Head injuries related to the use of baby walkers. Canadian
Medical Association Journal, 1984; 131: 573-575.
26. Reider MJ, Schwartz C, Newman J. Patterns of walker use and walker injury. Pediatrics,
1986; 78: 488-493.
27. Chiaviello, CT, Christoph RA, Bond GR. Infant walker-related injuries: a prospective
study of severity and incidence. Pediatrics, 1994; 93: 974-6.
28. Smith GA, Dietrich AM, Garcia CT, Shields BJ. Injuries to children related to
shopping carts. Pediatrics, 1996; 97: 161-5.
29. Friedman J. Reported shopping cart accidents: data from 1979-1985. Washington, DC:
US Consumer Product Safety Commission, October 1986.
30. Campbell M, Ferguson J, Beattie TF. Are falls from supermarket trolleys preventable?
BMJ, 1990; 301: 1370.
31. Ferrari JR, Baldwin CH. From cars to carts: increasing safety belt usage in shopping
carts. Behavior Modification, 1989; 13: 51-64.
D, McDonald J. Special study. injuries and deaths associated with children's playground
equipment. U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 2001; 33.
on Injury and Poison Prevention and Committee on Sports Medicine and Fitness. Trampolines
at Home, School, and Recreational Centers. Pediatrics, 1999; 103 (5): 1053-1056.
RA, Kelle AS, Schunk JE. Too many pediatric trampoline injuries. Pediatrics, 1999;
103 (5): 5pp.
35. Smith GA. Injuries to children in United States Related to trampolines, 1990-1995:
A National Epidemic. Pediatrics, 1998; 101 (3): 406-412.
36. Brown PG, Lee M. Trampoline injuries of the cervical spine. Pediatrc Neuosurg,
2000; 32 (4): 170-175.
37. La Forest
S, Robitaille Y, Lesage D, Dorval D. Surface characteristics, equipment height,
and the occurence and severity of playground injuries. Injury Prevention, 2001;
38. Sibert JR, Mott A, Rolfe K, James R, Evans R, Kemp A, Dunstan FDJ. Preventing injuries
in public playgrounds through partnership between health services and local authority:
community intervention study. Brit Med J, 1999; 318: 1595.
C, Hu X, Wesson DE, Parkin PC. Risk factors for severe injuries associated with
falls from playground equipment. Accid Anal Prev, 2000; 32 (3): 377-382.
CA, Brown JM, Barclay-McIntosh JM, Chalmers DJ. An intervention to reduce playground
equipment hazards. Injury Prevention, 1999; 5(2): 124-148.
41. Mowat DL, Wang F, Pickett W, Brison RJ. A cae-control study of risk factors for
playground injuries among children in Kingston and area. Injury Prevention, 1998;
42. Mott A, Rolfe K, James R, Evans R, Kemp A, Dunstan F, Kemp K, Sibert J. Safety
surfaces and equipment for children in playgrounds. Lancet, 1997; 349 (9069): 1874-1876.
D, Meehan T. Council playgrounds in New South Wales: compliance with safety guidelines.
Aust N Z J Public Health, 1997; 21 (6): 577-580.
DJ, Marshall SW, Langley JD, Evans MJ, Brunton CR, Kelly AM, Rickering AF. Height
and surfacing as risk factors for injury in falls from playground equipment: a case-control
study. Injury Prevention, 1996; 2 (2): 98-104.
Federation of America. Playing it safe: a fourth nationwide safety survey of public
playgrounds. United States Public Interest Research Group, 1998: 1-15.
46. MMWR Playground safety--United States, 1998-1999. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 1999:
48 (16); 329-332.